Texas Hunting Forum

Good coffee - finally

Posted By: 603Country

Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 02:35 PM

Granted that this news isn’t up there with burning Minnesota down or other news of the day. But, after trying a lot of K-cup coffees and being less than impressed, I tried Community’s Breakfast Blend Medium Roast. That’s good coffee. Years...that’s how long I’ve suffered bad coffee...till now.

“You can take it to the bank” to quote Bill...
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 02:37 PM

I don't think I've ever had decent coffee from a K-Cup.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 02:37 PM

yes - that's a good one. I drink Community's Coffee & Chicory and Cafe Special most of the time.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

Yeah to me it just gets you by.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 04:02 PM

Kcups are a joke for real coffee drinkers.

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 04:22 PM

Try what I recommended. You might, like I was, be pleasantly surprised. Till now I was just looking for the best coffee from a list of bad choices.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 04:23 PM

This is real coffee.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

What’s your definition of real coffee?
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 04:37 PM

Real coffee should be brewed at a min. of 195 degrees to 205. The brewing time should be no longer than 6 minutes. The coffee cannot sit on a plate warmer very long. Only a certain number of coffee makers sold, meet the coffee certification. The boxes are marked. It takes a correct temp to extract the flavor. The coffee needs to be fresh, beans have nothing to do with freshness. A company like Farmer Brothers has several blends from crap to excellent. In the old days 1271 was their best blend. Don’t know now.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 04:54 PM

Get yourself a reusable filter and put your favorite coffee in it.
Not only is it much better and much less expensive you’ll no longer
be dumping those plastic pods in the landfill.

Side note: I’ve read that the inventor of the Kreurig coffee machine
regrets his part in them and refuses to own one.

Look it up.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 05:04 PM

Folger's Colombian for me.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 05:10 PM

Allsups and a burrito.

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 05:27 PM

You guys are a hard sell. Up until now, when I wanted real good coffee, I went to the barn to my Cuisinart machine. When I don’t feel like the walk (40 yards), I’ll use the Keurig and suffer. But now I have a coffee I actually like from the Keurig. This was just an info note. Try it if you will, otherwise don’t.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 05:42 PM

Green Mountain 'Dark Magic'. I can brew 8oz twice for a nice 16oz cup of coffee that IMO tastes pretty damn good. And I've had french press and a bunch of other contraptions.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 05:45 PM

Community for the win.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

What’s your definition of real coffee?

I meant a real coffee drinker, as in drinks a lot of coffee. I drink 4-8 coffee pot cups in the morning.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 05:54 PM

I have drank a lot of coffe as well and the best flavor is Death Wish Coffee hands down. Great Flavor with low acidity..and the bonus is the kick.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
You guys are a hard sell. Up until now, when I wanted real good coffee, I went to the barn to my Cuisinart machine. When I don’t feel like the walk (40 yards), I’ll use the Keurig and suffer. But now I have a coffee I actually like from the Keurig. This was just an info note. Try it if you will, otherwise don’t.

Thanks, 603! I had to go to the K-cup due to Dr.s orders, it keeps me from drinking a whole pot of coffee every morning. I have 1 pod left and I’m pretty sure HEB carries the blend you are recommending.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Yeah to me it just gets you by.

Same here.

I like to use a French Press.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 06:34 PM

I'll just have a Falstaff, can't be drunk all day long unless you start in the morning. grin

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 06:35 PM

flehan
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/28/20 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
I'll just have a Falstaff, can't be drunk all day long unless you start in the morning. grin

up
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Bring it.
Posted By: nebo

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 01:29 AM

I am not a coffee snob but Community coffee in a percolater is hard tto beat. Only thing better is Arbuckle Cowboy Coffee in a percolater
Posted By: Deans

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 01:31 AM

Alto Grande Super Premium Coffee Beans + krups grinder + hot water + aero press = good coffee
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
This is real coffee.
[Linked Image]

That and Sailor Boy is what I drank at trade school in Louisiana. That stuff is why I learned to put cream and sugar in my coffee. They used enough grounds to make about 3 pots of normal coffee.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Granted that this news isn’t up there with burning Minnesota down or other news of the day. But, after trying a lot of K-cup coffees and being less than impressed, I tried Community’s Breakfast Blend Medium Roast. That’s good coffee. Years...that’s how long I’ve suffered bad coffee...till now.

“You can take it to the bank” to quote Bill...

That is the coffee that was in our break room at work, we used the 3 pot Community Bunn that they supplied. That good brewed coffee is the one thing I miss about working.

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 07:22 PM

I grew up with Community and 8 O’Clock coffee, and my kids did too. My Dad made the coffee in an old pot I still have, and he made it strong. Mom always said that if you could see through it, it was tea, not coffee. I’ll make coffee with that old battered pot every now and then, and it is stout stuff.

So, later in life the wife bought a Keurig and the K-cups. And I went on the search for a K-cup coffee that really qualified (in my mind) as real coffee. I tried everything, but nothing tasted good to me, so I sort of gave up and settled on the 8 O’Clock. But when I went to get more recently, the store didn’t have it. I looked the options over and went with the Community that I mentioned. And I was shocked to find that I really liked it. Now I’m Ok with K-cup coffee.

As for coffee in general, For a number of years I had a Mr Coffee in the Houston house and the same coffee maker at the ranch. The Houston coffee was good, but the ranch coffee was not. Same coffee, so why the different taste? Research was required, and I finally got the answer from a Consumer Report article on coffee maker ratings and what was required for good strong coffee that wasn’t bitter or harsh. I thought the problem might be the water. Nope! The problem was that the Houston coffee maker was able to get the water up near 200 degrees, where the ranch unit would not. It was as simple as that. Consumer Report said that the most consistent coffee and water temp was from the Cuisinart. I bought one. Problem solved. And...that explained why a percolater type unit, which boils the water each and every time, makes good coffee, as would any other type process that uses water at or near the boiling point.

Summary: If the water isn’t hot enough, the coffee will be weak and bitter. So now you know...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 07:30 PM

I like freshly brewed and ground Community.......but it's not practical for the wife and I anymore so we do the K-cups.......I really like Paul Newman's organic medium roast......up

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 08:02 PM

I prefer dark roast. I’ll be trying this one in the morning.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dawgkllr

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
This is real coffee.
[Linked Image]

2 cups of that and I can feel my toenails growing. Did I mention I like feeling my toenails growing LOL
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Good coffee - finally - 05/29/20 08:22 PM

Just woke uo from the mother of all naps and had a half cup of Folger's with sweet vinella creamer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum