Texas Hunting Forum

REASONS to be on THF?????

Posted By: freerange

REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 07:50 PM

As I spend so much of my time on THF I have asked myself WHY??? I don't "kinda" do anything so I have to check myself periodically to insure im not over board on any endeavor. I would like to know the reasons why yall get on here?
Im gonna help you out by listing 4 main reasons I think most would be on here. Im not saying these are my reasons or everyone elses and im not saying they are in order. I just list these 4 to give yall some ideas.

1. LEARN. This surely is a biggee and self-explanatory.
2.TEACH. You cant have a student without a teacher. There is some gratification that comes from educating another.
3. ENTERTAINMENT. Anything that occupies your time, when you do it by choice, can be considered entertainment. Rather its reading Janies comics or following two guys make fools of themselves arguing rifle calibers its entertainment.
4. SELF PROMOTION. I'll guess many have not thought of this one. It can be subtle and for a variety of reasons. Or it can be obvious by the guys that openly promote a product or service. Some may just list their business as a sig line even if its not hunting related.

Im curious if I missed any and please feel free to say which of these fits you best or comment any way you like.
For those of you that self promote, I think this forum could be a great way to market your product or yourself. Seems like it could be a double edged sword with bad news traveling way faster than good. Hows that going for you???
Posted By: Superduty

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 07:52 PM

I am going with number three.

I know everything, so I have number one covered.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 07:55 PM

Info center.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 07:57 PM

1) killin time till dove season
2) Happy hump day
Posted By: TCM3

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:03 PM

One and three
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:04 PM

Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:08 PM

Lot of good knowledge in here.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:14 PM

Number one mostly, but the first 3 all apply. I don't have much to promote regarding #4.
Posted By: Sailor

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:36 PM

#5----- cause, you guys would be lost without me...…. cheers
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
1) killin time till quail season
2) Happy hump day

FIFY
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:48 PM

Posted By: tex70

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 08:57 PM

For the most part I'd say #3, with #1 earning honorable mention

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Lot of good knowledge in here.

Thank you!
peep loco_too
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 10:51 PM

If you come on here expressly for #2 - "To teach", it's transparent, obvious and sad. (Interesting you listed it second. eek2 ). There's definitely teaching on here, but the good kind is done after someone asks something, and it's done low-key, by folks that have obviously paid their dues and been around.

I learn every time I come on here. 'Never come on here "to teach".

For the record, this is just a COMMENT, as you posted "comment any way you like". 'Not trying to "teach" in anyway whatsoever.

And...there's one...or two (?) lonely, older men that think they're "teaching" every time they come on here. They're not. bolt
Posted By: glens

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:00 PM

I get on to catch that Crazy Guys Posts. banana
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:00 PM

Definitely the learning for me

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:03 PM

Can I change my vote? confused2

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
If you come on here expressly for #2 - "To teach", it's transparent, obvious and sad. (Interesting you listed it second. eek2 ). There's definitely teaching on here, but the good kind is done after someone asks something, and it's done low-key, by folks that have obviously paid their dues and been around.

For the record, this is just a COMMENT, as you posted "comment any way you like". 'Not trying to "teach" in anyway whatsoever.

And...there's one...or two (?) lonely, older men that think they're "teaching" every time they come on here. They're not. bolt

TEACHING was not listed as derogatory at all. I only notice teaching on here AFTER questions are asked and its great. I listed it second cause it goes hand and hand with LEARN. NO ONE on here would be learning if others weren't teaching. Thanks for the feedback but sounds like you thought I meant PREACH. Alls good.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:08 PM

I didn't get on THF to run insult olds. They do that on TFF. Look it up.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:09 PM

The ot and the rest of the forums are two completely different animals.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:12 PM

What was the question?

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
What was the question?

Look it up. There was nothing about insults.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:23 PM

Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by mbavo

This is what Hemingway "taught". 'Shortest way to say anything. Well done! up

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by mbavo

This is what Hemingway "taught". 'Shortest way to say anything. Well done! up

"To die alone in the rain."

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:36 PM

Again with the teaching. roflmao
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:40 PM

:

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/23/20 11:56 PM

Can I change my vote again? I first got on THF to talk about bird dogs and quail hunting. Quail hunting really is like walking in and a beautiful painting all day long.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:00 AM

Hell they canceled All My Children, what else am I supposed to do? confused2
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:02 AM

rofl
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:03 AM

I do it for the money.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by PKnTX
Hell they canceled All My Children, what else am I supposed to do? confused2

Really? The world's coming to an end. That was #2 with Mom, right after "As The World Turns". I'm scarred for life.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Can I change my vote again? I first got on THF to talk about bird dogs and quail hunting. Quail hunting really is like walking in and a beautiful painting all day long.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's always proper to cite the writer your quoting, in this case, Gene Hill. Uh-oh, did I just "teach"? bolt
Posted By: wp75169

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:12 AM

#1..!!! Comic Relief

I often ask questions if I’m working on something I’m not familiar with. Usually reloading related. I’ve got a lot to learn.

Ever so rarely, someone ask a question and I actually know the answer.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:19 AM

Can I change my vote again? I've evolved. Now I like to talk about vegetable gardens. Nothing beats home grown tomatoes. I spread them all around my neighborhood.

[Linked Image]

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:48 AM

I'm getting old if I ain't already there and heck, I can't even "teach" my dog to sit. He always tries to add the H to the sit.
Posted By: elstone

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:50 AM

I’m here because I’m doing research. I can’t decide on a Ford or a Ram. Or if I should go with BFGs, Nittos, or Toyo. So, I guess it’s #1. Been here many years and don’t post much because I’m too busy reading. Just when I think I’ve made up my mind, another post about tucks and tires and I have to start all over again.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by elstone
I’m here because I’m doing research. I can’t decide on a Ford or a Ram. Or if I should go with BFGs, Nittos, or Toyo. So, I guess it’s #1. Been here many years and don’t post much because I’m too busy reading. Just when I think I’ve made up my mind, another post about tucks and tires and I have to start all over again.

When you start losing your hearing, hair and eyesight like most of us old guys, you'll lose sight of the truck and tire fiasco and start posting good stuff. You can take that "to the bank."
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 01:10 AM

Definitely self promote I’m awesome grin
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 01:45 AM

All sorts of reasons. 1-4+ I’ve noticed since I joined in 2011, due to what the level of douchebaggery on the other side, just how MANY great folks there on here. Met quite a few so far. There are tons left that I’d still like to meet, Shake their hand. I’ve made one HECKuva solid group of friends that I’d put up against anyone else’s caliber of buddies, any day.

There are SO many different walks of life, all from different backgrounds, have such different stories while having similar common interests, values beliefs, careers, specialties etc. Sure there are some that go against the grain but for the most part, great folks here that I’ve come to gain a lot of respect and admiration for. There’s even a couple that when I grow up, I wanna be just like them. Others, not so much. roflmao
Posted By: TARUGS

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 01:53 AM

Posted By: 603Country

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 01:58 AM

I enjoy the commentary (most of the time). And there is an absolute ton of information on here. As I have told my wife, somebody on the hunting forum will have info or experience on just about any question that can be asked. Somebody has been there..somebody has done that...

And, you guys tolerate my rants about my pole saw.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
All sorts of reasons. 1-4+ I’ve noticed since I joined in 2011, due to what the level of douchebaggery on the other side, just how MANY great folks there on here. Met quite a few so far. There are tons left that I’d still like to meet, Shake their hand. I’ve made one HECKuva solid group of friends that I’d put up against anyone else’s caliber of buddies, any day.

There are SO many different walks of life, all from different backgrounds, have such different stories while having similar common interests, values beliefs, careers, specialties etc. Sure there are some that go against the grain but for the most part, great folks here that I’ve come to gain a lot of respect and admiration for. There’s even a couple that when I grow up, I wanna be just like them. Others, not so much. roflmao

Very well said, I’ve made some really good friends on here.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:23 AM

Very good comments. I haven't been very active on here long enough to actually get to know many first hand. Certainly I know there are good ones on here, I can tell by their posts. Kind of like the squeaky wheel getting the grease I guess the annoying minority really stand out and lots of good ones sit back in the shadows.
So, should we add a #5 and say a reason to be on here is to meet new friends?? I never thought of that as a reason to be on here but i would like to get more acquainted with guys that take Trophy deer management/hunting real serious.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:24 AM

That reminds me Kyle, I need a new code for Gunther when you get a min roflmao

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:34 AM

Ask and you shall receive

Quote my post and copy the img tags.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:58 AM

Pulling a 16 lbs bass behind you to make it look like a crappie.
Reel man know.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 03:38 AM

To bother people. I’ve been successful.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Idk what you’re talking about. I love your post. Direct, to the point, and pretty much spot on.

ETA: unless they’re about me then you’re way off!!

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 03:45 AM

Sneaky’ some of my faves.

Oh and reason #53, see below. Thanks Kyle! Don’t worry, I’ll pull it down shortly for the sake of many roflmao
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 04:03 AM

1 and 3 to mostly be entertained by 4

The 4’s just can’t help themselves chime in on everything
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Idk what you’re talking about. I love your post. Direct, to the point, and pretty much spot on.

ETA: unless they’re about me then you’re way off!!

Well, you have a sense of humor. Many here don’t. It is those people that I bother.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 04:56 AM

Sneaky’ some of my faves.

Oh and reason #53, see below. Thanks Kyle! Don’t worry, I’ll pull it down shortly for the sake of many roflmao

Oh God......
The pig. peep
I'm young, it could scar me fer life bolt
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 11:26 AM

I was gonna say Jeepman's contributions to the Wednesday Hump Threads, but no, that's just a bonus. #1 - I have learned a lot. The depth of knowledge on this forum is widespread and deep as all heck. Can't fathom somes degree of knowledge on many things I find obscure. Still blows me away. #2 - Tried to teach with a been there done that and you can choose it or not effort. Words mine - I can turn the light on and if we see it the same way, then fine. If we don't see it the same way, at least I turned the light on. #3 - Entertainment, oh my Lord! Over the top. Somes are intentionally witty awhile others are funny when they do not intend to be. #4 - Self promotion is usually and quite often a loser's limp. Posers need not apply.

I don't do the MySpace thingie and feel ever so fortunate to have found this forum. Lots and lots of good, well intentioned people within. The variety of thoughts from peoples with an interest in the same pursuit (ie: outdoors) has been, well, overwhelming. Somes are serving as an example of how I desire to interact, while the Lord put others on this forum to serve as an example of how not to be. Either way, y'all making my life better.

BTW, I bought an awesome knife here, was sent an unused 1970 Pearl Beer calendar at his postal expense and continue to drool at many of the guns for sale. I have tried to keep that good mojo going - someyone's got the final letter for their Blanton's circle while others have had a go at my sausage.

Thank y'all for being y'all.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:16 PM

Can I change my vote to hump day? confused2
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
while others have had a go at my sausage.

eeks333

Sig worthy right there.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 01:45 PM

I was gonna say Jeepman's contributions to the Wednesday Hump Threads, but no, that's just a bonus. #1 - I have learned a lot. The depth of knowledge on this forum is widespread and deep as all heck. Can't fathom somes degree of knowledge on many things I find obscure. Still blows me away. #2 - Tried to teach with a been there done that and you can choose it or not effort. Words mine - I can turn the light on and if we see it the same way, then fine. If we don't see it the same way, at least I turned the light on. #3 - Entertainment, oh my Lord! Over the top. Somes are intentionally witty awhile others are funny when they do not intend to be. #4 - Self promotion is usually and quite often a loser's limp. Posers need not apply.

I don't do the MySpace thingie and feel ever so fortunate to have found this forum. Lots and lots of good, well intentioned people within. The variety of thoughts from peoples with an interest in the same pursuit (ie: outdoors) has been, well, overwhelming. Somes are serving as an example of how I desire to interact, while the Lord put others on this forum to serve as an example of how not to be. Either way, y'all making my life better.

BTW, I bought an awesome knife here, was sent an unused 1970 Pearl Beer calendar at his postal expense and continue to drool at many of the guns for sale. I have tried to keep that good mojo going - someyone's got the final letter for their Blanton's circle while others have had a go at my sausage.

Thank y'all for being y'all.

Hud excellent as usual. That was approached in a serious way, well thought out and well articulated. Rather he tried to TEACH or not there is something to LEARN from it. I suggest a reread.

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 01:51 PM

So Sneaky gets on here to bother people. We may have just come up with a 6th reason. #5 is to make friends and 6 is to make enemies. Im not directing this at Sneaky but it does appear guys are on here to bother people but i guess thats ENTERTAINMENT for the botherer. Alls good guys, keep em coming.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:33 PM

I've picked up a lot of good information here over the years. That and entertainment are my primary reasons for being here. There are definitely some here who come across as DB's, but even some of them sometimes cause me to look at things in a way I hadn't looked at them before. I've also learned there are people here who have a tacky, inappropriate sense of humor like me. laugh
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:49 PM

Meaning of "while others have had a go at my sausage." After Hudbone spends months in deer lease preparation attempting to provide the best of supplemental nutrition, he painstakingly selects deer for harvest, accomplishes putting them down in an ethical manner, loads them up, cleans them, cools them down, hauls them to his home, debones the meat, vacuum seals the now cubed meat , freezes it, waits for the sausage making invitation, buys a handle of crown, buys the pork, mixes it all together, grinds it, stuffs it, hangs, smokes it, lets it dry, vacuum seals it, packages it and mails some out for good people to sample. I just thought it easier to say, "while others have had a go at my sausage."
Posted By: Grizz

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:53 PM

Meaning of "while others have had a go at my sausage." After Hudbone spends months in deer lease preparation attempting to provide the best of supplemental nutrition, he painstakingly selects deer for harvest, accomplishes putting them down in an ethical manner, loads them up, cleans them, cools them down, hauls them to his home, debones the meat, vacuum seals the now cubed meat , freezes it, waits for the sausage making invitation, buys a handle of crown, buys the pork, mixes it all together, grinds it, stuffs it, hangs, smokes it, lets it dry, vacuum seals it, packages it and mails some out for good people to sample. I just thought it easier to say, "while others have had a go at my sausage."

It was much more funny without the explanation. roflmao

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
while others have had a go at my sausage.

eeks333

Sig worthy right there.

peep
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Grizz

It was much more funny without the explanation. roflmao

up cheers roflmao

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 03:27 PM

Can I change my vote again? I get on THF to find if Ford or Chevy is best, chainsaws, tankless water heaters, and lots os similar stuff.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 03:42 PM

I on here to see Oxners pics

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
I on here to see Oxners pics

And your home owners expertise. Insurance and taxes. cheers
Posted By: texfork

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 04:33 PM

I diffidently am on here for #1 . AS far as #2 I do not consider myself any kind of teacher but after hunting for 45 years I try to share my experiences .
So I guess my main purpose on here is #3 for entertainment and classifieds . I do not have any reason for self promotion .

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 05:09 PM

Mayo or Miracle Whip? Sweet tea? Too much bacon?

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 05:18 PM

The threads such as sweet or unsweet i never understand how to categorize those. If you wanted an opinion to help you decide which one then that would be LEARN, but surely thats personal preference so why ask???? I guess its just ENTERTAINMENT but i look for at least a little substance in my entertainment.
Having said that, Bill is my greatest source of entertainment on here.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/24/20 06:45 PM

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to answer this, with the following in mind:

Member # 71

The only thing I can say for sure, I have asked for a lot of advice from members, and given from life experiances.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: REASONS to be on THF????? - 05/25/20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Ask and you shall receive

Quote my post and copy the img tags.

[Linked Image]

Dammit Kyle... Why did you do that?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum