Texas Hunting Forum

Kayak fishing

Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 01:06 AM

I know this might be a TFF post but I hear that this is a better group. Is that true?

Anyways, a family friend does a lot of kayak fishing at night. He goes out by himself all night which I think is totally nuts but I'm going to start joining him. Right now I'm using renter kayaks because the quality ones for fishing are a bit expensive. Maybe I will buy one later. We plan on going to San Luis Pass this Saturday night.

Do any of you guys use kayaks and have any tips of stories to share about your experiences using them?
Posted By: majekman

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 01:11 AM

Kayakers, oh yeah...When I was guiding at the coast we called em speed bumps
Posted By: RayB

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 01:29 AM

Join Texaskayakfisherman.com lots of good folks over there with free advise and most of it's good
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 01:45 AM

I've seen them offshore at the 13 mile rigs on calm days.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by RayB
Join Texaskayakfisherman.com lots of good folks over there with free advise and most of it's good

I'll second this. You can get some good info here. If you're going to go out at night, make sure you have all of the legal requirements covered.

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 01:51 AM

Good point, I need to read up on that
Posted By: safarigene

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 01:59 AM

I have three of the them right now and love fishing off of them. I'm not very good at the fishing part, but still love being out on them. Haven't done much night fishing out of one. If you are out at night, especially on the coast area, I would recommend a good (very bright) 360 degree light.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by RayB

I will third this.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 02:14 AM

I have not been at night, but love mine.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 02:39 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BTB Beyond The Breakers will plan a couple night trips this summer but we have to have ice cream conditions to handle these guys at night.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 02:40 AM

Are you looking to buy one? I have one I may sale.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 02:47 AM

Yes, I have an Oldtown Topwater 120 PDL and it’s awesome. I’ve spent five days on Texoma, multiple days on Texoma, the Brazos and several other lakes. It’s awesome.

Y’all might not like the TFF OT or Bass sections, but the Kayak section is awesome. Most kayak fishemen are great people.

Ive had a paddle kayak. It was a cheap one from Dick’s years ago. It was a Field and Stream Eagle Takon 12. It came equipped with a bunch of stuff for fishing and was on sale for $350. It worked fine, but the seat sucked. ThenTopwater PDL is where it’s at, but if you don’t want to spend that much, which is understandable, what specific questions do you have?

Again, the Kayak section is great on the TFF.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 03:33 AM

I’ve been up to 8 miles offshore many times in Florida. All over the marsh and bay. Caught a ton of fish.
But being in the pass overnight sounds crazy.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 03:56 AM

When I lived in Hawaii, I had a good knife on a bungee cord belt, some little flares and a vhf radio. Pay attention to tides and currents, especially as it pertains to getting back when you’re done fishing. Keep your paddle and poles on leashes and practice getting back on the kayak from in the water. If you run an anchor, put a piece of pool float on the tag end.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 02:23 PM

I just bought a used one and can't wait to get out. Thinking about the BTB (beyond the breakers) they have on June 6th for beginners, they say everyone catches Kingfish on those trips.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 03:45 PM

Don’t get runned over. Must illuminate.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 04:09 PM

Been wanting to get one for years to fish some of the closer cuts and shallow points in Matagorda
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by NewGulf
Been wanting to get one for years to fish some of the closer cuts and shallow points in Matagorda

Watch out for the stingrays.

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 04:38 PM

Gonna get er done.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Kayak fishing - 05/23/20 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Gonna get er done.

[Linked Image]

Nice congrats.

Here is mine from last weekend.