Texas Hunting Forum

New house

Posted By: B-radder

New house - 05/21/20 02:49 PM

if you had access to free natural gas how would you use it in your home . Were going to do gas furnace, fire place, dryer, and thinking of doing the gas tank less heaters. What else would you use it for or plumb your house for possible future uses?
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: New house - 05/21/20 02:54 PM

I pay for propane for hw, stove and furnace. So clearly I'd use free natural gas yes.

I'd use it for everything I could as you stated. Heck I might even have gas lamps. roflmao
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:00 PM

ceiling mounted heaters for your porch on those cold winter evenings would be nice.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:04 PM

I'd hook into the pipeline and sell it. Full send.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:05 PM

Genrac industrial baby

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
ceiling mounted heaters for your porch on those cold winter evenings would be nice.

Garage too.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
if you had access to free natural gas how would you use it in your home . Were going to do gas furnace, fire place, dryer, and thinking of doing the gas tank less heaters. What else would you use it for or plumb your house for possible future uses?

A neighbor has a gas AC as well. First for me.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:06 PM

I have a ( so cheap its pretty much free ) natural gas line to my home. I have a gas stove, a gas line ran to my wood burning fireplace, gas plumbed to the patio outside for a kitchen and pool.

I believe the water heater also runs off gas.

Its pretty dang handy to have.

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:08 PM

Yes we will have a generator as well. I like the heaters on the porch,great idea. We're already tapped into the pipline
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:12 PM

Plum for Outdoor kitchen, future pool heater.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:13 PM

The pool would be heated from the end of Summer until the beginning of Summer.

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Brad Hardt

A neighbor has a gas AC as well. First for me.

I'd never heard of it either but I googled it and sure enough it's a thing. I'd have that too

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:37 PM

Yeah there's gas refrigerators as well , but iv never known anyone that has them
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:41 PM

A friend of mine had gas AC years ago. Lots of problems but they may have improved by now.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Genrac industrial baby

This ^^^ never have to pay an electric bill.
Also, heater, tankless water heater, dryer, porch heaters, fireplaces, gas lanterns on the outside, built in grill, built in gas fire pit.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

A friend of mine had gas AC years ago. Lots of problems but they may have improved by now.

I had a NG air conditioner back in the late 90’s. Was great while it worked. When it broke, repair cost drove a replacement to conventional electric.

Re: New house - 05/21/20 03:53 PM

Gas fire pit, good call
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: New house - 05/21/20 04:09 PM

Is that gas processed or scrubbed where you are tapped?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New house - 05/21/20 04:13 PM

Becareful could House in CO did this including irrigation wells... a few went boom

But ya, every big appliance would be gas, including massive back up gen
Posted By: DannyB

Re: New house - 05/21/20 04:16 PM

If it is free get some old Dearborn heaters instead of the efficient radiant type. The radiant type can be very problematic with all the safety features. An old Dearborn will be mostly trouble free.

Re: New house - 05/21/20 04:21 PM

Its scrubbed I believe

Edit, its processed
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New house - 05/21/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Genrac industrial baby

Yep, I want to get one pretty bad.

Also natural gas grills are nice.
Posted By: Stub

Re: New house - 05/21/20 05:00 PM

When we remodeled our kitchen we had them run the gas line from the dryer and replaced our Electric Range/oven/cook top with gas and love it. We also had them install a tankless heater in the attic above the garage and it is wonderful!!
Posted By: TCM3

Re: New house - 05/21/20 05:03 PM

I'm full of natural gas
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New house - 05/21/20 05:44 PM

Remember when they converted pickups to gas and had tanks in the beds. What type og gas was that? confused2
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: New house - 05/21/20 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Remember when they converted pickups to gas and had tanks in the beds. What type og gas was that? confused2

Started out as Butane or LPG (50 60 70s) which worked pretty good but lost some power. You had to buy tax stamp and log , account for miles and pay more if you went over stamp mileage.

Then in 70 80 s they switched to propane another LPG (lower btu) power and mileage went way down. Ran hot and burned valves.

Now day they trying to use Compressed Natural Gas (4000PSI) in stainless steel fiberglass wrap tanks. Not enough CNG in bottles to be worth your time and they take up a lot of space.
Some people are giving CNG a try on local short routes but there are not many station around and you don't get many miles on fill up.

Some OTR truckers are using Diesel engines and engine management systems injecting about 50% CNG to engine under load. Their tanks are cryogenic LNG tanks and LNG is converted by vaporizer LNG to CNG for engine use. Sound very dangerous to me to put and 18 wheeler on ISHW with either CNG or LNG because of the nature of high compress gas (4000PSI) or LNG at -273 F.

Posted By: Ox190

Re: New house - 05/21/20 08:17 PM

I'd definitely have a line ran to my patio for a natural gas grill, never having to swap out bottles is a nice feature.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: New house - 05/21/20 09:03 PM

Big Iron outdoor gas feed Fire Pit that would glow red on a cold night..
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New house - 05/21/20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ox190
I'd definitely have a line ran to my patio for a natural gas grill, never having to swap out bottles is a nice feature.

It's the best not having to worry about that crap and having multiple bottles lying around.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum