Texas Hunting Forum

Small business server

Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Small business server - 05/19/20 08:50 PM

If I was wanting to start a small business with a simple but professional website to help promote the business would you recommend a server? I also want to be able to link a few computer stations together that have internet, business email, access to the same project files, virus security and storage. I am thinking I can accomplish this with a small server minus the website and create a website on a web-base provider? For those that have experience with this which way is the best approach for starting out? The business would be a service style business like plumbing or electrical. These are tools I have always used in a business but never had to figure out how to set it up myself.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 09:03 PM

Everything you have mentioned is available as a cloud service. I wouldn't get a server starting out. Gmail or Outlook.com for email, Google Drive for document sharing and storage. Contact KRoyal for the website.

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hancock
Everything you have mentioned is available as a cloud service. I wouldn't get a server starting out. Gmail or Outlook.com for email, Google Drive for document sharing and storage. Contact KRoyal for the website.

Thanks but I just don't like the idea of the cloud or storage elsewhere. I want everything close by with safety guards in place.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 09:09 PM

KRoyal, talk with Kyle and he can help tremendously!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
KRoyal, talk with Kyle and he can help tremendously!

X3

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

Thanks but I just don't like the idea of the cloud or storage elsewhere. I want everything close by with safety guards in place.

So you just want a server to store files that you can't get to from anywhere but the office? Get you a server then
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 09:38 PM

So you just want a server to store files that you can't get to from anywhere but the office? Get you a server then

VPN, and other means, can provide remote access to data.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 09:58 PM

After I bought my practice I just had an IT guy build a suped-up PC for our server. It worked fine for several years and ran our practice software (which is a pretty big program) just fine. Personally, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars starting out.

Cloud option is nice for convenience, but you have never-ending monthly cost.

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

Yeah I get that, just being punchy about thinking a local server is a good solution for a startup business that just needs file storage. Most will end up using a cloud backup solution anyway. Servers for startup business that don't require it for a dedicated app are just not needed or necessary with all the cloud options available.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 10:07 PM

Yeah I get that, just being punchy about thinking a local server is a good solution for a startup business that just needs file storage. Most will end up using a cloud backup solution anyway. Servers for startup business that don't require it for a dedicated app are just not needed or necessary with all the cloud options available.

I agree and was clarifying for rolyat.nosaj that a "cloud" solution is not necessary to be able to access data remotely.
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 10:08 PM

Yes, your standard server Dell or HP would sell is just the wrong thing for a small startup.

I bought a small QNAP NAS for the house and have been shocked how much functionality beyond file storage/sharing those boxen have. They have a library of free, and paid, apps which can easily provide for any small business. The NAS makes moving files from phone to tablet to laptop simple without having to use the Internet or data minutes. The Ubitquiti wireless controller in my house runs as an app on the NAS. Lots of small business are using these. Yes, backup to the cloud in case of bad stuff from the Internet.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 10:11 PM

I would definitely want my website hosted, just for the convenience and uptime. Especially if you're doing any type of e-commerce on it. Server hardware isn't very expensive, but operating system licenses can get very expensive if you have a bunch of users.

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Olson

Yes, your standard server Dell or HP would sell is just the wrong thing for a small startup.

I bought a small QNAP NAS for the house and have been shocked how much functionality beyond file storage/sharing those boxen have. They have a library of free, and paid, apps which can easily provide for any small business. The NAS makes moving files from phone to tablet to laptop simple without having to use the Internet or data minutes. The Ubitquiti wireless controller in my house runs as an app on the NAS. Lots of small business are using these. Yes, backup to the cloud in case of bad stuff from the Internet.

NAS is a great option for file storage/sharing and even offer Active Directory like service. Highly recommend drive redundancy and automated offsite backups, which most NAS units provide.

Re: Small business server - 05/19/20 10:58 PM

I don't know what you guys are saying at this point. What is all of this stuff?

My idea (which is based on my experiences) is to have work stations. Maybe 2 or it could lead to 10 workstations but I want everybody to have access to it onsite or possibly offsite. With the ways things are today with Covid I need to be open to allowing access to files offsite. I want all of your basic functions such as internet, business email, access to the same project files, virus security and storage. Once a week on Friday we would backup the server at an offsite location that had no internet access. The idea was everything could get wiped and we wouldn't lose but one week as a worse case scenario. That's what I am accustomed to and would like to have.

Websites: what are the best options? It will be low traffic with basically just the company details.

I guess I lack some of the basic terminology and knowledge and need someone to explain to me how all this works and what options are available concerning just the structure.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Small business server - 05/20/20 12:03 AM

I don't know what you guys are saying at this point. What is all of this stuff?

My idea (which is based on my experiences) is to have work stations. Maybe 2 or it could lead to 10 workstations but I want everybody to have access to it onsite or possibly offsite. With the ways things are today with Covid I need to be open to allowing access to files offsite. I want all of your basic functions such as internet, business email, access to the same project files, virus security and storage. Once a week on Friday we would backup the server at an offsite location that had no internet access. The idea was everything could get wiped and we wouldn't lose but one week as a worse case scenario. That's what I am accustomed to and would like to have.

Websites: what are the best options? It will be low traffic with basically just the company details.

I guess I lack some of the basic terminology and knowledge and need someone to explain to me how all this works and what options are available concerning just the structure.

I am also in that boat.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Small business server - 05/20/20 12:14 AM

Me too. Doc and I disagree once again. Storage is cheap. Start out right and build upon it.
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: Small business server - 05/20/20 01:30 AM

That's what I am accustomed to and would like to have.
This right here will kill whatever operation you have. Would you go hunting for elk in the mountains with pistols because that is what you are used to?

What is your written business plan? Your business systems and equipment are developed from the needs of your business to generate revenue and service customers. You are loading your ammo in the mag backwards.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Small business server - 05/20/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Me too. Doc and I disagree once again. Storage is cheap. Start out right and build upon it.

What's to disagree about? Sure, if he wants to, he can spend $5-10k or more on a nice small business server. Nothing wrong with that if he has extra money he wants to spend and if that is what his needs require. It's not necessary to do that if he doesn't have the need or want to, but was just giving another option in case he wasn't looking to spend as much since I have done it both ways. FWIW we have about 18-20 PC's in our office and our suped-up PC server worked fine for several years and probably cost me $1500. We don't website host as it was just running our practice management software and for lots of storage of digital files. You can get website hosting via 3rd party for less than $100/mo. Cloud back-up if you want or hard drive back-up for data if that makes more sense for his needs. We have both as we need lots of redundancy with our systems/data. More than one way to skin this cat on a start-up business.

Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Small business server - 05/20/20 09:50 AM

yep, as it should be.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum