Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for some dog breed feedback

Posted By: Texican

Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:02 PM

So we have decided to get another dog. With a family of 6, narrowing down everyone’s choices has been a task. Was hoping THF had some first hand knowledge on some of these.

Some background:
• Family of 6 with youngest being 18 months.
• Dog will be mainly an outdoor dog.
• West Fort Worth climate
• Room for exercise (3 acres).
• Currently have a 10 year old black lab.
• Main purpose will be a family dog, but may try to hunt on side if a hunting dog.

Any feedback on the following:
• Chesapeake Bay Retriever
• Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
• Germain Shorthair Pointer
• Texas Heeler
• Australian Shepherd (possibly a mini)

Thanks!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:03 PM

Blue Lacy
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:06 PM

You didn’t mention what type of hunting you’d be doing with the dog.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:07 PM

Don't find the Pup. Let the pup find you.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:14 PM

Aussie/collie cross....smartest dog you will ever know.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:23 PM

Not listed but think about a Boxer.
Posted By: nebo

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:23 PM

Two Jack Russell Terrier. You need 2 to keep them self occupied and not wear everyone out. Great hunting dogs who really believe they are ten foot tall and bullet proof. I had my last one 16 years. I will get another!!
Posted By: cbump

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:26 PM

The only one of those I’d consider, unless I was a hardcore duck guy, is the GSP.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by pdr55

Absolutely. Only dog I have owned since I got my first one 21 years ago, or will ever own.
Great dogs. Can do it all.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:34 PM

I wanted a miniature aussie.

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Blue Lacy

Actually that one is a consideration as well.

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
You didn’t mention what type of hunting you’d be doing with the dog.

Dove/duck ... but definitely secondary to family dog
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:45 PM

1. why not another lab?

2. Border Collie, outdoors, He77 on wheels, indoors a true lover.

heard , during quarantine, Dog are flying off the shelves, getting hard to find

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
1. why not another lab?

2. Border Collie, outdoors, He77 on wheels, indoors a true lover.

Another lab is a possibility, just looking at other options. How would you rate the early years of a lab versus these?

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper.270

Absolutely. Only dog I have owned since I got my first one 21 years ago, or will ever own.

Are they good dogs to leave outdoors?

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Texican

They are. They can adapt to anything. They love human connection, but don’t bark when alone. They are extremely smart and loyal. I have never had a more loving breed. They do become less than their normal active in the heat.
IMO there is not a better looking dog.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 02:57 PM

Get another Lab or a GSD

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 03:15 PM

Just get another lab.

Also,
I’m sure a boxer would make nice house dog, but I’ve never seen one in a duck blind, retrieving a dove, or pointing a quail.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 03:20 PM

They are. They can adapt to anything. They love human connection, but don’t bark when alone. They are extremely smart and loyal. I have never had a more loving breed. They do become less than their normal active in the heat.

up
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 03:22 PM

I would have suggested a wirehaired pointing griffon, but they need to be a part of the family and live inside. Great dogs in general, extremely good with kids and can hunt ducks, upland, squirrels, rabbits, whatever you want. Very smart dogs.

Given your requirements, I’d just go with another lab. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers may look like labs, but they require some specialized training compared to labs. They can be extremely hardheaded and don’t have the same temperament as labs.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 03:24 PM

I love Boxers. We just rescued a blue Pit Bull Terrier. She’s a huge 90 pound mass of bone and muscle, but as gentle as a lamb. I don’t see much difference between her and Mugs, my old Boxer buddy.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 03:54 PM

If you are not going to use it for hunting, get a Rescue dog up
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Blue Lacy

Actually that one is a consideration as well.

I would not get a lacy. 3 acres isn't enough unless you exercise them daily.
Blue lacy's are a working dog, not a family pet, even though they make great pets.
I run my lacy 4+ miles daily, and if I don't, she finds trouble.

I'd go mini aussie or a Boykin.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 04:00 PM

Just get another lab.

Also,
I’m sure a boxer would make nice house dog, but I’ve never seen one in a duck blind, retrieving a dove, or pointing a quail.

X2 I’ve never seen a boxer good for anything but petting. Labs are hard to beat. I have 5 breeds of dogs right now and I really like the lab but the French Brittanys are smaller, shed less, and make just as good of a pet and more versatile hunting companion than the lab. All of the shorthairs I’ve owned were pretty high strung until they got older.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 05:48 PM

Just get another lab.

Also,

X2

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Just get another lab.

Also,

X2

Guarantee you they could if ya worked with them and trained them. They have a surprisingly good nose. My male boxer is a snake killing machine. Also, he is a well trained security system. Come up my drive which is about 110 yards. If he is given his command you better be able to do that 100 yards in Bolt speed, cause he sure can. They can learn anything you can train them for. As you can tell, I just love Boxers. Ha.

I have owned one Lab. Never again.
Posted By: PappawRock

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 06:04 PM

We had a boxer that learned to wrestle...

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 07:06 PM

Honestly, the first couple of years with the lab are the only deterrent in getting another. Any maybe we can’t avoid it with any dog.

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by PappawRock
We had a boxer that learned to wrestle...

They are sometimes to smart for their owners good. My big boy will dance with you on que. slow dance of course. Ha. He also has a real good leg sweep.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 07:33 PM

Rhodesian Ridgeback, not your typical hunting dog (unless you are in to lion hunting). Very loyal, great with kids and very protective of your property. 3 acres is enough to run them on - I had 2 acres and would run her with my ATV. Miss that pup!
Posted By: jeepman3366

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 07:38 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
English Bulldogs hey are truly couch potatoes
Posted By: Stub

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Rhodesian Ridgeback, not your typical hunting dog (unless you are in to lion hunting). Very loyal, great with kids and very protective of your property. 3 acres is enough to run them on - I had 2 acres and would run her with my ATV. Miss that pup!

If I was ever to buy a pure bred, Rhodesian Ridgeback would be the one. We love our Rescue mutt up
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Good advice. I've never gone looking for a dog. Dogs have always found me, and they somehow turn out to be the best ones. I'm a fan of Hienz 57 mutts these days.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 08:18 PM

Visit some animal shelters and rescue a pup. MAy not be pure bred, but a mutt is usually far healthier and less prone to the genetic maladies that most pure breeds suffer.
Posted By: MrMadMac

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/17/20 11:53 PM

If anyone is interested in a German Shorthaired Pointer, there is Texas GSP Rescue.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:07 AM

Now watching a movie called Hondo. He has. A collie looking cur named Dog. Really like Dog.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
Visit some animal shelters and rescue a pup. MAy not be pure bred, but a mutt is usually far healthier and less prone to the genetic maladies that most pure breeds suffer.

Also my opinion based on my experience.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:36 AM

Can’t go wrong with an Aussie they are great dogs I’d get a standard size though
Posted By: pnh

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:48 AM

I've got an Aussie blue merle male. Might be the smartest dog I've ever had. I swear he understands English.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 01:01 AM

I’ve had three Australian shepherds back when I was roping. They were plenty smart and I liked them. If I were to ever have a dog that didn’t hunt I’d pick one of those. Every dog needs to have a job and I won’t ever need to feed one that doesn’t hunt. One of my best cow dogs was from the pound, and he would also retrieve anything I sent him after.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 01:05 AM

Brittany or Boykin Spaniel.
Posted By: B-radder

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 02:48 AM

We have four mini aussies ,best darn dogs I or my kids could want. They work cattle, play as long as you or the kids can, and then come inside and cuddle. Great dogs!

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:06 AM

Any dog, registered, purebred, or mut, give them them attention and love and they will more than return the favor. It is the price we pay for unconditional love. Dogs make us all better humans.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Brittany or Boykin Spaniel.

We have had 4 Brittany's, all rescued from the pound. No papers, but great dogs and decent quail hunters.

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:33 AM

I second the Brit. Mine has been a good one.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

This is true.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:54 AM

This Aussie has been my friend for 15 years now, although napping is better then catching rabbits, what is the thing now [Linked Image]
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 09:39 AM

The answer to this question is always French Brittany
Posted By: pnh

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hooker
This Aussie has been my friend for 15 years now, although napping is better then catching rabbits, what is the thing now [Linked Image]

He looks like a twin to mine. He'll put a cow wherever you want her. All you have to do is point at her!
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 11:42 AM

Thanks, She! up
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:11 PM

Agreed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:14 PM

On the heat, I Disagree! Boxers have short muzzles and cannot cool themselves as rapidly or efficiently in this Texas heat. They are NOT outdoor dogs. I have owned boxers for years, do them justice and do not buy one if kept outdoors.

http://www.allboxerinfo.com/are-boxers-outside-dogs

Unless you live in an area with absolute perfect weather, outdoor living is not for the Boxer dog.

Being exposed to the outside temperatures for an extended time is very unhealthy for this dog breed. The structure of the Boxer dog does not allow for optimum body cooling.

Therefore, this breed is not able to handle hot weather for any longer than a 20 or 30 minute walk. Whether sun or shade, the Boxer will not be able to keep its internal body temperature regulated properly if left outside in hot weather. Heat stroke, trouble breathing and dehydration are just a few health concerns.

Posted By: TLew

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:19 PM

If you're worried about the first few years of a lab, look at a British Lab. I'm biased since I have one that was fantastic at a year old with newborn twins. All of that said, let the pup find you because there are always exceptions to every rule.

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:26 PM

Greatly appreciate everyone’s input. I probably complicated things some, but great info for us to add into our decision.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 12:28 PM

Blue Tick hound.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 01:26 PM

I've always had brittanys and recently got a Chesapeake Bay Retriever to go along with my brit whose partner died. They are hard to train on a lot of occasions ( mine was at the trainer for 9 months - didn't get that far with him fwiw), but he is the sweetest god I have known in my life. Calm too. Just a little feedback from a newbie owner as you mentioned that breed.
Posted By: B-radder

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 02:20 PM

[Linked Image]

My mini's are awesome. I had a boxer before and he was a great dog but I needed dogs that could do ag related jobs.
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:05 PM

I have a Mini Aussie turning 10 tomorrow. Best dog I have ever owned!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:25 PM

Favorite I have had so far has been my current beagle.

She is good inside good outside and I was able to train her to blood trail.

She is old and her years are numbered... me and the kids are gonna crying
Posted By: INRUT

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:41 PM

My vote is for a Vizsla I personally believe they are the most all around breed for anything. All though we do not have one now but we will have another after our two beagles has passed.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 03:52 PM

It may be worth a call to your home owners insurance agent to see if they have any excluded breeds and then mark them off your list. I switched insurance companies earlier this year and my agent said she had a couple that wouldn't even write a policy for us since we had a rottie.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Looking for some dog breed feedback - 05/18/20 07:32 PM

I know its not on your list, but a standard Poodle is one bad azz dog when it come to working, retreiving, companionship, and showing family how much they're love. Im partial to Bloodhounds, and have had a few retired working dogs that were sweet as could be. But a standard poodle, not the little piss ant yappers, are capable of retrieves I would have never thought possible by anyone or anything other that the USCG.

IThe image of a huge male standard, jumping off a 10 foot wall of rock into 8-10 foot breakers, swimming through the cresting waves (not over, but through-as in submerged) retrieving our Eiders from the surface and below like a shark, is a sight I will never forget. .

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum