Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck?

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 04:37 PM

I'm looking at a set of 22", 285/45/22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. I want the sport and handling appeal of the 22" wheels, and the off road tires. But I'm unsure of this combo and overall how they do. It will be going on a Ram 1500 4x4, supercharged. I'm currently running the factory 18" wheels and tires.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 04:44 PM

Do you want a hot rod or an off road rig?
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Do you want a hot rod or an off road rig?

^^^^^^^^^this popcorn peep
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 04:56 PM

I want both, actually. I liked the handling of my previous 20" wheels on a previous truck, and want the off road also. But I'd lean towards the sportyness more than the off roading. I don't go to places any more that require the heavy off roading that I used to do when we would go to CO to bow hunt elk and such. My deer lease is an easy drive to camp with minimal need for off road, but 4x4 is needed in some places where 2WD does get stuck.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I'm looking at a set of 22", 285/45/22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. I want the sport and handling appeal of the 22" wheels, and the off road tires. But I'm unsure of this combo and overall how they do. It will be going on a Ram 1500 4x4, supercharged. I'm currently running the factory 18" wheels and tires.

There is no sport and handling on 22" wheels. The ride will be rough since the the sidewall is limited to near zero flex and the suspension is required to do all of the work which it was never intended to do.

Regardless, that's not the question you asked. From another forum I am on, the tires most popular for use on 22" rims have been the Terra Grapplers, Bridgestone Dueler AT RHS, and Toyo Open Country AT III. Good luck with your purchase!
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 07:20 PM

Chad, let me save you some money:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Adchunts
Chad, let me save you some money:

[Linked Image]

roflmao
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 08:05 PM

Just don’t do this bang

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 08:25 PM

No. I'm looking at the factory 22" wheels. I like them a lot.
Posted By: modelt3

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 08:53 PM

33x12.50R22 on my Silverado. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:03 PM

How do you like them? Rough ride? Better cornering and/or handling? Did you drive it before with a different tire set up before you put these on?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:05 PM

I was actually looking at this truck earlier. 22” wheels with 37” off road tires. 8” lift.

I like the look but never rode in one with 22’s and 37’s. I run 20” with 35’s on my Raptor and it’s not rough riding at all. Not really sure why everyone complains about how stiff the ride is.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:09 PM

The wheels and tires won't make much if any real difference in " the sport and handling appeal ", mostly looks and more of that famous placebo butt feel.

Any slight handling improvement will be limited to the effects of the decreased sidewall flex of a lower profile tire.
To get actual better handling takes suspension upgrades.

The 5.05" sidewall height will not inspire much off road confidence if you happen to encounter a baseball size rock or need / want to go over a curb or a 5" cattle guard pipe.
Low pro tires in mud also allow the wheels to load up with much more mud, the joys of mud removal so your whole pickup doesn't vibrate & shake due to mud stuck in wheels throwing wheel tire balance off so bad you can't drive highway speed until it is removed.

If what you want is the 22"s for looks, you should do it.

I am not a fan of Nitto tires.
Posted By: modelt3

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:11 PM

Ride is just fine...I would say almost identical to the factory 20s that came on it. Handles fine too, but I don’t do a lot of stunt driving in it. I can tell that these 10 ply tires are heavier though.

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler

Low pro tires in mud also allow the wheels to load up with much more mud, the joys of mud removal so your whole pickup doesn't vibrate & shake due to mud stuck in wheels throwing wheel tire balance off so bad you can't drive highway speed until it is removed.

I just went through this one.. I thought the front of my truck was going to come off.

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:19 PM

Chad this is 20” with 35” tires on the Raptor.

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:19 PM

What I'm looking at is a set like this. I love the 22" factory wheels. Going from an 18" tire with a tall side wall to a 22" lower profile tire will improve the handling and steering wheel response, especially at highway speeds. That's kind of what I'm looking for. But the off road tire on the 22" has me unsure about the set up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 09:21 PM

22” on dirt roads is a kidney killer.

First thing I chunked on my wife’s suburban was 22” rim. 18” allows for more side wall flex
I chunked 20” on my f250 for 18”
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

My last two trucks came with 20' aluminum and I don't like them for a couple of reasons. Rougher ride and weaker rims, hit a pothole last year going about 35 and cracked both of my right side rims. About 3 months ago I hit a 2 1/2 inch collar on the ranch and took out the right front rim. With 22's I can only imagine both reasons only getting worse.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/14/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by Rustler

I just went through this one.. I thought the front of my truck was going to come off.

I go through that every time it rains. If I bust one more rim I'm going to 18 inch steel rims.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 12:09 AM

I wouldn’t run 22”s on anything less than a 40” tire.

37”s on 20”s are. good. 35”s on 18’s are about right.

I had 33’s on 20’s and the off-road performance was terrible as there was no sidewall bite whatsoever. I imagine 35’s on 22’s would be about the same. It’s bad enough on 35’s
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 12:24 AM

If you’re doing it for looks I’d say go for it. A good 10 ply tire on the 18s will give you a significant performance increase if inflated properly.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 01:23 AM

Chad, Big wheels are frowned upon by many folks who really offroad their trucks; for good reason. But I think, based on what you've mentioned, 20's would be right for you. Also since your leaning towards sport and performance remember that a little tire flex on a supercharged v8 will help with traction...and any additional unsprung weight will hurt acceleration.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 01:30 AM

I have always said that 20" wheels do not belong on an off road rig. Now I have 20s only because they were they only way to get a decent tire on a Tundra. BFG Ats were stock but only on 20s. As soon as these tires are worn out I am going to something with a taller profile. The 22s will ride rougher and if you run them in rocks be ready for some rain damage.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 02:01 AM

I just went from 305/70/17s to 295/60/20s, almost the exact same size tire. I can tell you I prefer the ride of the 20s much, much better than the 17s. Not near as much slop in the turns, and by turns I mean country roads at 55-60 mph. It's a CCLB, so not exactly sporty.

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
I have always said that 20" wheels do not belong on an off road rig. Now I have 20s only because they were they only way to get a decent tire on a Tundra. BFG Ats were stock but only on 20s. As soon as these tires are worn out I am going to something with a taller profile. The 22s will ride rougher and if you run them in rocks be ready for some rain damage.

I had amazing tires on my Tundra with 18” wheels.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 03:26 AM

I have 22x35s on an Excursion and a JKU. No issues on or off road.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 03:34 AM

This is my idea of what 4X4 wheels and tires should look like. I'm old I guess.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 03:38 AM

I was actually looking at this truck earlier. 22” wheels with 37” off road tires. 8” lift.

I like the look but never rode in one with 22’s and 37’s. I run 20” with 35’s on my Raptor and it’s not rough riding at all. Not really sure why everyone complains about how stiff the ride is.

You’re not good at math are you? 37’s on 22’s will have the same sidewall as 20’s on 35’s.

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

You’re not good at math are you? 37’s on 22’s will have the same sidewall as 20’s on 35’s.

That is what I was saying goober. I've never rode in anything with the 22" wheels and 37" tires, however I run 20" wheels with 35" tires on my truck which is same sidewall and it's not a stiff ride. So people complaining about a stiff ride because of short sidewall I haven't felt it in my setup (which has same sidewall).
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 01:51 PM

The OP isn’t asking about any of those tire sizes.

285/45r22 is basically a 32” tall, 11” wide tire with a 5.05” sidewall.

35 / 20 has about 7.5" sidewall, the 2.5" in sidewall height makes a big difference in ride quality.

Then of course there is tire squat, when aired up & mounted and the weight of the vehicle is on the tires they will not measure the manufacturer advertised overall height or sidewall height.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
This is my idea of what 4X4 wheels and tires should look like. I'm old I guess.

[Linked Image]

Yep, just wrong brand. Nowadays I would lose the chrome but back then it was in style even for a white boy [Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 02:53 PM

Shouldn't this thread be with all the 6.5 Creedmore discussions?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 02:55 PM

SI

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

That is what I was saying goober. I've never rode in anything with the 22" wheels and 37" tires, however I run 20" wheels with 35" tires on my truck which is same sidewall and it's not a stiff ride. So people complaining about a stiff ride because of short sidewall I haven't felt it in my setup (which has same sidewall).

Yeah, but your comparing the ride of a Raptor to a Ram. Completely different suspension.

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 03:17 PM

That is true Sneaky! Raptor suspension is Mo Betta.

Re: Anyone running 22" off road tires on their truck? - 05/15/20 03:41 PM

Way more better. It’s not fair.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum