Texas Hunting Forum

Freezers

Posted By: Dalee7892

Freezers - 05/13/20 06:58 PM

My freezer just went kaput. With the news about meat shortages now there are NO freezers to be had. Possible delivery date middle to end of July.
,@#(*%#(*°◇♡$& I'm pi$$ed
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 07:08 PM

Look around for a used one. Saw several out there. Will hold ya over till new one arrives.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 07:22 PM

Prayers up!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 08:12 PM

Can you still rent a freezer locker like we did when I was a kid?
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 08:21 PM

Wish you were closer, I have an empty one that you could store your meat in.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 08:22 PM

time for "chefs Choice " dinners.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 08:29 PM

You didn't just Jinx us did you bang
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dalee7892
My freezer just went kaput. With the news about meat shortages now there are NO freezers to be had. Possible delivery date middle to end of July.

Try the 5 Miles app, or FB Marketplace
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by pdr55
Wish you were closer, I have an empty one that you could store your meat in.

eek2
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 08:36 PM

Better call The Man.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 09:01 PM

My freezer is the oldest appliance I have.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 09:14 PM

craigslist within 30 miles of 76210 Freezers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen

Try the 5 Miles app, or FB Marketplace

Several on the FB market place in Abilene, you should have alot more than we do.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 09:31 PM

The last time I checked the usual resale sites there were a lot more people wanting to buy a freezer than those with one to sell. All the fears of a potential meat shortage has created yet another viral breakout of BSC.

I seem to remember a post where someone quoted July as the expected delivery date for a new order.

Posted By: rickym

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 09:33 PM

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/app/d/mesquite-huge-freezer-sale/7117326360.html

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 10:41 PM

I have called every place within 20 miles of Denton nothing. Yes I have checked Craigs List. Cleaning out the refrigerator freezer to help with some meat
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 10:45 PM

I'd be looking for some dry ice.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper.270
Look around for a used one. Saw several out there. Will hold ya over till new one arrives.

great idea, I was wanting a new one myself. Hell we got 3 freezers, does not seem to be enough. bang

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 11:05 PM

Did you make sure there is power to the plug?
And if it’s an older unit that the defrost timer is not hung up ?
Just trying to help.

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 11:18 PM

I looked them up for you. Several new ones under $500, but guess what? OOS.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

great idea, I was wanting a new one myself. Hell we got 3 freezers, does not seem to be enough. bang

I’d have stuff going bad left and right if I had 3 freezers.

One thing I can tell you...buy an upright. A chest is good for deer heads, fish and general taxidermy stuff plus it’s perfect for losing stuff in the bottom. We have one of each and I much prefer the upright for the general meat freezing.

Re: Freezers - 05/13/20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by Guy
[quote=Sniper.270]Look around for a used one. Saw several out there. Will hold ya over till new one arrives.

One thing I can tell you...buy an upright. A chest is good for deer heads, fish and general taxidermy stuff plus it’s perfect for losing stuff in the bottom. We have one of each and I much prefer the upright for the general meat freezing.[/quote

Did this pulled pork butt come from the freezer?

[Linked Image]

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 12:22 AM

Just trying to help.

Yes the freezer is running just not keeping things frozen, inside is cold. Not frost free upper top inside frosted over. Probably need to defrost it but still need a place for the stuff in it.

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 12:28 AM

Just trying to help.

Yes the freezer is running just not keeping things frozen, inside is cold. Not frost free upper top inside frosted over. Probably need to defrost it but still need a place for the stuff in it.

Location, location, location. Have plenty of open space.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 12:46 AM

Sometimes moisture will get into the 3 layer of skin of Freezer and ruin insulation quality. Then you have hot condenser joined by ice to cold evaporator. NO cooling and runs all the time. Take a good thawing to melt the ice out.

Does the freezer have a condenser fan and condenser coil. The fan and coil collect dirt dust spider web etc, and the loss of air flow, can't get rid of heat. Use coil brush (Walmart thin tapered brush ) vacuum and compressed air to clean it out. Make sure air flow is not blocked.

Some freezer have condenser on the outer skin surface of freezer. Surface will be hot. Might help to wipe it clean with soapy water.

Get some coolers and dry ice while you defrost it. If you need cooler I have 112 quart and 94 quart you can borrow . PM, GL

Example
https://www.walmart.com/ip/25-Flexible-Dryer-Vent-Refrigerator-Coil-Brush/156349694
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

+1, I bought mine at Montgomery Wards. There probably people on this forum who don't even know Monkey Wards. If you get a manual defrost they will out live a couple of FFs. You might try North Texas Appliance in Rockwall. Like a previous poster I also prefer uprights. They take up 1/2 the space, you can store stuff on top, and it is easier to find things which negates the fact that you lose cold air faster. A key to longevity with a freezer is to minimize opening it.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper

+1, I bought mine at Montgomery Wards. There probably people on this forum who don't even know Monkey Wards. If you get a manual defrost they will out live a couple of FFs. You might try North Texas Appliance in Rockwall.

Montgomery Wards used to be THE store for everything. And they had a great catalogue.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 01:12 AM

Check CL for appliance store in Keller. They always have plenty of Reefer and freezers. GL

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper

+1, I bought mine at Montgomery Wards. There probably people on this forum who don't even know Monkey Wards. If you get a manual defrost they will out live a couple of FFs. You might try North Texas Appliance in Rockwall.

Montgomery Wards used to be THE store for everything. And they had a great catalogue.

This freezer is from monkey ward's
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 01:52 AM

What size are you wanting? Home depot in McKinney and Sherman both show some in stock.

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by MikeC
What size are you wanting? Home depot in McKinney and Sherman both show some in stock.

I was hoping for around 17 cf
I will call them tomorrow thanks. The HD in Denton said no one had any within 500 miles

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 03:23 AM

Unplug the unit and leave the door shut.
The food will stay frozen for a pretty good while with the door shut.
I believe the coils have frozen up and need to thaw out.
You might have to put towels around it to soak up the water from the defrosting coils.
When water quits dripping, plug the freezer back in.
This should get you at least a couple more days.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 03:39 AM

This thread makes me want to buy a cheap chest freezer just for backup. I'd be so screwed if my freezer gave up the ghost.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by Guy

One thing I can tell you...buy an upright. A chest is good for deer heads, fish and general taxidermy stuff plus it’s perfect for losing stuff in the bottom. We have one of each and I much prefer the upright for the general meat freezing.

Did this pulled pork butt come from the freezer?

[Linked Image]

Hard to tell for certain...it's a possibility. Before you tell me, I don't have anywhere to look it up because I don't log my past food intake. wink
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Freezers - 05/14/20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
This thread makes me want to buy a cheap chest freezer just for backup. I'd be so screwed if my freezer gave up the ghost.

The high demand for freezers started way back at the same time as toilet paper. The virus panic caused people to plan for an eventual food shortage. I already had an 8 cu ft chest freezer, plus the freezer sections of two refrigerators all about 2/3 full of food, so I too wanted some kind of backup. I got a cheap $350. chest 9 cu ft freezer from Lowes in late February and mine was one of the last two that were in stock. Home Depot was sold out. Vacuum packed food has a very, very long "shelf life" when held well below 0F, so I added a little more food.

Investing in a couple of small Honda or Yamaha style inverter generators is also prudent. They won't run large loads, but my Honda 2200 supports two refrigerators and a chest freezer overnight on the 1-gallon internal tank.

Same with ammo and other basic supplies - you buy it while it is plentiful and sale priced. No hoarding required, just a little forethought. As a kid, I grew up in different areas, but mostly in remote areas where you learn to be more self-sufficient and reasonably prepared for minor emergencies lasting a week or three. Stuff breaks, so I follow the reasoning "one is none, two is one" for stuff that is important for me.

Marc
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Freezers - 05/16/20 07:15 PM

Mine going gone gone too. Repair guy says I have too much in it and air can't circulate properly. Wifeypoo has replacement coming. Gotta save the sausage.
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Freezers - 05/24/20 12:09 AM

[Linked Image]

I just drove almost 8 hours round trip to pick this one up from an estate sale.

We have a steer scheduled to head to the butcher in August. I almost bought a second freezer in December but figured there wasn’t a rush. Then the ronapocalypse hit and freezers vanished overnight. bang

Re: Freezers - 05/25/20 04:19 PM

Sams has them. They got stand up and chest. I just got a stand up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Freezers - 05/25/20 04:36 PM

I am still not believing this

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Freezers - 05/25/20 05:15 PM

Guy just curious how much did you pay for the upright? Trying to figure out if I got a deal or not lol.

Just got mine cleaned up. Still waiting on it to fully defrost.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Freezers - 05/25/20 05:33 PM

Was in Home Depot in Weatherford yesterday and they made an announcement that they just got 3 chest freezers for $299. Don't recall the size. You might check with your local restaurant supply - they have probably got some from restaurants that unfortunately went out of business.

Re: Freezers - 05/25/20 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85
Guy just curious how much did you pay for the upright? Trying to figure out if I got a deal or not lol.

$230 plus tax. The chest one is $200 and is bigger, but this one will be great for my fish and duck. smile ani
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum