Texas Hunting Forum

Have you every met a Hero?

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 06:37 PM

Only once here. I was in NCO leadership school and we had a speaker who was a Master Sargent and a B-52 tail gunner. It also happens that he was the last enlisted AF pow from Vietnam. He came to tell us his story, from being shot down to spending 6 years in the hanoi hilton. at first it was good, but the more he talked to more nervous tics came out. by the end it was painful to watch. He said I do this every year because people need to know the truth. One thing that stuck with me is he said it's not if you talk, it's when. the object is to give as little as possible, but they will beat it out of you. Most moving thing I've ever heard.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 06:43 PM

Lived next door to a WW2 vet that was 94 and blind. Only story he told me was about VE day. He and his buddy heard the news while in a pub in London, they proceeded to rack up a bar bill they couldn't afford. Then some nice rich British businessman took them into the restaurant and ended up feeding them and paying their tab.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 06:46 PM

I have known a bunch that were awarded the Silver Star and the Bronze Star with V device. Heard most of the stories of events that lead to the Award. Included in that group was a survivor of the Bataan Death March . Another was in the North Africa Campaign to listen to them was history.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 06:47 PM

I knew an old man for 25 years and didn't know he was awarded a Silver Star in the battle of the bulge. Found out at his funeral.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 06:52 PM

Only my father who passed away in 2003.

Tomorrow he would have been 63 happybday
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 07:09 PM

Chris Kyle once.

And the guy who has a fake hand, Medal of Honor guy.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 07:15 PM

Did rounds and took care of patients in the burn unit at Brooke Army Medical Center in 2005/2006, the peak of the Iraq war. Saw plenty of heros in there, many with their faces nearly melted off, limbs torn to shreds or just missing. Many died. What was amazing was how many had girls that would come and eventually leave. Only a few stayed.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 07:20 PM

My uncle's father who is still alive was in the Pacific theater and was tasked at climbing up those hills and throwing explosives into those holes that had the big guns shooting out of them. He has been deaf my entire life with a hearing aid that doesn't work very well.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 07:24 PM

My father. He was in WWII in the Signal Corps in New Guinea and the Philippines. He did some behind the lines recon but mainly communicated with and directed aircraft on bombing runs. After his death, our Parish Priest told me part of his job was extracting intel from pilots before they lost their mortally wounded aircraft. He never spoke of it.

Met Chris Kyle once at a happy hour through a mutual friend. This was before his book and I had no idea who he was. When I told him I worked at Raytheon and built the MTS system on the Predator/Reaper UAVs, he lit up and started telling stories about how he and his team relied upon the UAVs in their missions. He was a lot of fun to chat with and as gregarious a person I have ever met.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 07:32 PM

Michael Thorton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_E._Thornton

[Linked Image]

Posted By: hetman

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 07:36 PM

Yes I have met many police /firemen/ doctors/nurses etc all thru my life !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 07:47 PM

Ranger Ray Martinez is a staple here in NB. Back in the day and while a policeman, he took out that Whitman feller on that there tower in The People's Republic of Austin. I still can't imagine walking up all those flights of stairs and getting out that door to accomplish what needed to be done. A great, humble man with, obviously, big cojones.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 08:01 PM

Many. My sister is a Firefighter, My Bro-in-law is an ex firefighter who turned to deputy, Uncle - FBI, grandfather - highway patrol and chief of police later in life(never met him), 2 uncles in Vietnam, One very close family friend retired Army Ranger in Vietnam...and that is just family.

edit - almost forgot my cousins. One Army surgeon and two Police officers.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Ranger Ray Martinez is a staple here in NB. Back in the day and while a policeman, he took out that Whitman feller on that there tower in The People's Republic of Austin. I still can't imagine walking up all those flights of stairs and getting out that door to accomplish what needed to be done. A great, humble man with, obviously, big cojones.

Ranger Ray is a better man than I will ever be. Very brave man.

McCoy took out Whitman, so the story goes.

Martinez was off duty on August 1, 1966, when he learned via television of the Texas Tower sniper shooting. Arriving at the campus, Martinez went to the top of the tower with civilian Allen Crum. Martinez dislodged a dolly used by Whitman to block the door that led to the observation deck of the Main Building tower at the University of Texas at Austin. Martinez and Crum went out the door, and as Crum guarded the South side, Martinez went around the Southeast side to find the shooter(s). Officer Houston McCoy came to the top of the tower with Officer Jerry Day. Crum told the officers where Martinez was. McCoy, armed with a shotgun, caught up with Martinez and they noticed Whitman sitting in an opposite corner. Martinez jumped out and fired in the direction of Whitman, missing with all of his revolver shots. McCoy leaped out while Martinez was firing and saw Whitman's head looking over the light ballast, McCoy fired at the top of the ballast, hitting Whitman between the eyes with several pellets, killing Whitman instantly.

McCoy fired again, hitting Whitman on his left side. Martinez grabbed McCoy's shotgun, ran to Whitman's prone body, and fired a direct shotgun blast into deceased Whitman's left arm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramiro_Martinez_(police_officer)

Another link:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-cops-who-stopped-charles-whitman/

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 08:45 PM

Only one comes to mind off the top of my head.

Several years ago there was an arson fire incident in San Antonio. Brad Phipps was one of the firemen on the scene and rushed back into the burning building after discovering a fellow fireman did not come back out.

Brad sustained life changing injuries when he was consumed by the fire. Sadly , The man he went in to find did not make it.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 08:54 PM

My daddy.
Posted By: RGLass

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 09:15 PM

One of my uncles served in Korea. He refused to talk about it. Another uncle was a Marine in Vietnam. He was exposed to Agent Orange and still suffers from it. I also worked with a man that took three bullets in Afghanistan when he jumped in front of men that had been wounded and he fought off the attackers until reinforcements arrived.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 09:16 PM

First, my Dad... 21 years in the Marine Corps Infantry. Served in Korea. Cuba, VietNam, only wounded in Korea.

Next on my list is the Colonel I worked for while assigned to AWACS. He too spent 6 years as a POW... the only active duty guy I knew who still smoked indoors in the 90s... said he quit smoking once, when the VC took his cigarettes, didnt plan to do it again.

There are others, like the fuels troop who worked for me and died while we were on deployment fighting the (GHW Bush) President's War on Drugs... he fell backwards out of a bus and suffered a fatal brain injury.

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 09:28 PM

Awesome stories guys!
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 09:44 PM

Back when I was actively flying, I was presented the opportunity to spend some time in a bi-plane piloted by Colonel Joe Kittinger. I did not know until after we were back on the ground that he was a famous aviator - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger - with a very impressive background in aviation, and who for many years held the record for the highest parachute jump (and free fall).
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 09:46 PM

My Dad....Okinawa
Brother....101st Airborne Vietnam
Several uncles ....Europe WW2
Old-timer Hunting /Fishing buddy Glen....gunner B17 Europe

All modest men who did not talk much about battles or metals. Lots of heroes from that greatest generation.
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 11:04 PM

I was honored enough, to live with them...……. flehan flag

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 11:42 PM

This one is a little different. When I was in high school (catholic) we had a priest give us a speech. He got captured by the Nazis for helping Jews escape Germany. They sent him to a concentration camp. Showed us the prisoner number tattooed on his arm. They tortured him but couldn't break him completely. Remarkable man.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 11:50 PM

One of my grandfathers was a Marine in the Pacific and spent 30 days on Iwo. He was an alcoholic arsehole but he did his job. I only heard him talk about the battles a few times. I don’t think he would have been the way he was if it weren’t for the war. I asked him about Iwo one time and all he said was it was dog eat dog on Iwo, apparently it was the worst island they had to take.

My other grandfather was a mechanic, stationed in New Guinea and then the Philippines. He learned to fly over there and flew enough to get flight pay. He was on the first wave to go over there and joined when he was 16, they stayed with families in Australia before they built landing strips on the islands. They were patching planes with tin cans and using WW1 weapons when he got over there.. He was the best man I ever met and taught me how to be a man. I’ll always consider him as a hero. He talked about the war a few times and I think he enjoyed his time over there, but he enjoyed his time anywhere he was. He only got leave one time in 5 years from the islands. His story about flying back to Australia for a week was a good one. He wrote a book about his time over there but left out the gruesome details he told around the campfire. He was a successful, practical man who viewed the war as something that had to be done.

The one thing these two men had in common is they both hated the Japs until the day they died. The things those people did to Americans were evil and inhuman on the islands.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/28/20 11:54 PM

My neighbor for 8 years in Houston was at Midway. His name was Jesse, he would come over and sit on the front porch and drink beer with me. His wife, 5th wife, wouldn't let him have beer at the house because he was diabetic so I kept Bud heavy in cans in my beer fridge for him. He didn't talk much about his time in the service but he had some damn good stories about Telephone Road in the 50s cyclo
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 12:04 AM

Yes. I was raised by one.
I grew up and became one also.

Posted By: badger2b

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 12:05 AM

My Father with his faults, WW2 vet , died in my twenties. Went from RCAF before the USA involvement to US Navy
to Geologist for University Lands after the war.

Watching "We Were Soldiers" as I type this.

God Bless America.

flag
Posted By: nebo

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 12:22 AM

Many heroes are residing at Arlington National and other cemetery around the world. I have met many decorated soldiers and the real ones will tell you the heroes gave their life for what they believed in. My thoughts. For what they are worth.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 12:29 AM

Elderly man that would get down, and she'd call us to get him up.

On the wall, a certificate of being in the 82nd airborn, and a D-day jumper.

Several purple hearts, silver star, and a bronze star.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 12:29 AM

Yes I have and three are military VETERNS ONLY.

My dad served both in Korea and Vietnam. In Korea he was 17 years old and piloted landing craft delivering marines on the beach for assaults. One trip was not so lucky with the landing craft being blown up from under them. Vietnam wasn't a walk in the park either.

My uncle was an officer in the merchant marines during WWII and still alive (95) . He piloted several trips from the U.S. to England with needed supplies.

My friend Doug BurRO was a Army Warrant Officer helicopter pilot in Vietnam and flew too many missions to count. He was wounded 3 times and continued to fly.

A U.S. veteran server, other make OCCUPATION CHOICES.

OK Dog pile on if you need.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 01:00 AM

I have 2. My Dad and my Mother. They worked in aircraft plants In Wichita Kansas.

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cool Mo D
I have 2. My Dad and my Mother. They worked in aircraft plants In Wichita Kansas.

My Dad worked there for a year. One day they laid off 12,000 people. He was one of them
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 01:19 AM

Admiral Stockton when I was recruiting in Chicago. My Dad, served in the Navy, in the Pacific during WWII. Got wounded, but wouldn't talk about it. He was a Chief Gunner's Mate and was also part of the "landing parties" that the Navy used to have. Also a deep sea diver.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 02:27 AM

I was in Victoria some years back, and I needed whisky. Looked around for a liquor store and found one with USMC stickers on the door. Well, by golly, that’s where I’ll spend my money. Went in and met the young guy running the place, and he was (like me) a former Marine. He introduced me to the old fellow at the counter, also an old Marine. The old guy had waded in on the first wave at Tarawa. I shook his hand, but I really didn’t know what to say. The old guy said “I don’t know why I’m alive”.

One other guy. I hunted with him for years. He was Navy in WWII, but assigned to the Marines on Saipan as an artillery spotter. After some whisky, he’d talk about it a bit. Hated the Japanese every minute of every day. Skinned deer with the KaBar he used on a few of them in foxholes on Saipan.

Worked with a guy in New Orleans, at an oil refinery. He had scars on his arms and hands from White Phosphorus while at the Chosin Reservoir. Also a Marine.

My grandfather was a machine gunner in WWI. He never spoke of it but once.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 03:14 AM

Too many to list. But a few I cant forget.

My grandfather was a doughboy.

Worked with a WWII POW. He could tell you Months, Days, and hours in captivity.

Had a customer, Sargent, Army, Viet Nam, took multiple rounds face, upper torso, left arm and hand successfully defending his patrol in an ambush.

A very soft spoken nurse that coached me through final days of my kids mom.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 03:22 AM

First Lieutenant Harvey C. Barnum Jr.
United States Marine Corps
for service as set forth in the following Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Forward Observer for Artillery, while attached to Company H, Second Battalion, Ninth Marines, Third Marine Division (Reinforced), in action against communist forces at Ky Phu in Quang Tin Province, Republic of Vietnam, on 18 December 1965. When the company was suddenly pinned down by a hail of extremely accurate enemy fire and was quickly separated from the remainder of the battalion by over five hundred meters of open and fire-swept ground, and casualties mounted rapidly, Lieutenant Barnum quickly made a hazardous reconnaissance of the area seeking targets for his artillery. Finding the rifle company commander mortally wounded and the radio operator killed, he, with complete disregard for his own safety, gave aid to the dying commander, then removed the radio from the dead operator and strapped it to himself. He immediately assumed command of the rifle company, and moving at once into the midst of the heavy fire, rallying and giving encouragement to all units, reorganized them to replace the loss of key personnel and led their attack on enemy positions from which deadly fire continued to come. His sound and swift decisions and his obvious calm served to stabilize the badly decimated units and his gallant example as he stood exposed repeatedly to point out targets served as an inspiration to all. Provided with two armed helicopters, he moved fearlessly through enemy fire to control the air attack against the firmly entrenched enemy while skillfully directing one platoon in a successful counterattack in the key enemy positions. Having thus cleared a small area, he requested and directed the landing of two transport helicopters for the evacuation of the dead and wounded. He then assisted in the mopping up and final seizure of the battalion's objective. His gallant initiative and heroic conduct reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and United States Naval Service.[2]

Had the honor of drinking with him a few years back. His stories are real, and he is a real hero. American BADASS.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 04:04 AM

A few

HAND SALUTE TO THEM ALL .
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 04:16 AM

A Special Forces SFC that I was stationed with invited me to his room where I saw his Silver Star Citation on the desk. I asked him about it, he wouldn't talk about it, but invited me to read the citation. I later asked questions of another Special Forces soldier about the strange language used where it said South East Asia Theater of Operations instead of Vietnam. I was told that was because he had been assigned to SOG Vietnam. SOG was famous for downgrading awards so that they could be approved without revealing classified missions.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 08:00 PM

Here is another one. I worked with him after he retired.
Robert E. Wallace
AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION:1 of 2

Distinguished Flying Cross
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING Vietnam War
Service: Air Force
GENERAL ORDERS:
Citation Courtesy of the Distinguished Flying Cross Society - www.dfcsociety.org

CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 2, 1926, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Flying Cross to Major Robert E. Wallace, Jr., United States Air Force, for extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight, as an HC-130P Rescue Crew Commander in Southeast Asia on 18 July 1967. On that date, Major Wallace performed the first emergency air-to-air refueling between an unarmed and highly vulnerable HG-130P aircraft and an HH-3E helicopter over unfriendly territory. Because loss of the helicopter was imminent due to fuel starvation, Major Wallace maneuvered his aircraft into cloud covered mountainous terrain, which was hostile held, and effected an uninterrupted refueling while leading the way between mountains and adverse weather to avoid unfriendly fire. Major Wallace, through his professional skill, directly contributed to saving the helicopter and the six personnel aboard from certain capture and probable death. The professional competence, aerial skill, and devotion to duty displayed by Major Wallace reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by nsmike
A Special Forces SFC that I was stationed with invited me to his room where I saw his Silver Star Citation on the desk. I asked him about it, he wouldn't talk about it, but invited me to read the citation. I later asked questions of another Special Forces soldier about the strange language used where it said South East Asia Theater of Operations instead of Vietnam. I was told that was because he had been assigned to SOG Vietnam. SOG was famous for downgrading awards so that they could be approved without revealing classified missions.

My old man passed this pass December. Retired as a SGM from 10th Group. Was not a bragger and the only way you'd know he was in was a retirement plaque on the wall and the last company photo he was part of taken on the parade field at Devens. He was always deployed it seems growing up but he didnt talk about what he did. He'd be the first to tell you he and guys like him are not heroes as they signed up for it and got paid to do it. That's the sentiment I carry,
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 09:21 PM

My Uncle Harold, Lt. Col. Richard H. Cassady

A member of the US Army Air Corps 9th Tactical Air Command where he flew 84 reconnaissance missions in Europe during WWII. He earned the Purple Heart during the D-Day invasion after catching severe flack which also caused the loss of his wing man. He also earned the Distinguished Service Cross for successfully identifying a strategic column of over 60 German tanks and armored vehicles near Stavelot, Belgium. Often flying less than 10 feet above a river bed bordered by high cliffs, his efforts along with those of his wing man, 2nd Lieut. Abraham Jaffe, led to the later attack and demise of this critical German advance during the Battle of the Bulge. The mission was very loosely portrayed in the movie, “The Battle of the Bulge.” He later flew air transport missions during the Berlin Airlift and continued his career flying numerous attack and bomber support missions in a P-51 during the Korean conflict. Served two non-combat tours in Vietnam before retiring in 1970.

I was very fortunate to record over three hours of him recalling his flying accounts, including the time he almost burned to death in a P-51 after blowing a tire during takeoff in Korea.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 603Country

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 09:28 PM

May they live in our memories forever.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
May they live in our memories forever.

They were without question The Greatest Generation.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: don k

Re: Have you every met a Hero? - 04/29/20 10:30 PM

My Mother, she stayed with my old man for way over 60 years without shooting him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum