Texas Hunting Forum

LEO question

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

LEO question - 03/25/20 05:44 PM

If you get pulled over to check if your essential, can you refuse to roll down your window? Not saying don't cooperate (i'll show all the required documents) just don't need to be put at risk for infection.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 05:47 PM

Great question. Baited breath.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 05:49 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 05:50 PM

Hmm, this morning I met a State Trooper on a FM road on my way to Sweetwater. I waved, he waved. I never even thought about being essential. I was on my way to buy cattle feed. My cattle think I'm essential.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 05:51 PM

I don't see how they can check this. Every county so far has said going to grocery store, etc.. is allowed
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 05:58 PM

Stupid unless we are trying to hide from aliens. Driving in a car to go somewhere you need to go is harmless. If we didn't need to go there we would be at home. hammer

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68A

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 06:22 PM

Just had this conversation. Depending on the county order would they not be in violation if they were within 6’? I haven’t heard of any one pulled over for the sake of being checked if it is essential travel, yet. Seems to me the burden of proof would fall on the officer to prove where I was going was not essential, ie fishing, hunting, etc. Any of that could be deemed essential. Seems a lot of grey area out there.

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
Just had this conversation. Depending on the county order would they not be in violation if they were within 6’? I haven’t heard of any one pulled over for the sake of being checked if it is essential travel, yet. Seems to me the burden of proof would fall on the officer to prove where I was going was not essential, ie fishing, hunting, etc. Any of that could be deemed essential. Seems a lot of grey area out there.

and therein lies the problem.

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 06:33 PM

I am driving to 7-11 which is deemed essential to get a Slurpee... Wild Cherry is finally working. roflmao
Posted By: rickym

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 06:35 PM

Haven’t heard of anyone being checked, but my employer gave me paperwork to carry in my work vehicle and personal vehicle.
Posted By: lil_red_ryder

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
Haven’t heard of anyone being checked, but my employer gave me paperwork to carry in my work vehicle and personal vehicle.

Same here
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 06:38 PM

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/p...287-78233242-56f0-4d70-8cd9-a734717b8a3a
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by lil_red_ryder

Same here

Ditto
Posted By: dkershen

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:02 PM

My bosses daughter got pulled over last night. Officer grilled her on her need to be out and about, then sent her on her way. I suspect teens, or more so groups of teens will get some scrutiny.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:07 PM

How many here (like me) have rural property, but live in the city? I have stayed home since this all broke out, but pretty soon I am going to need to make the drive to check on things. Not really worried about being pulled over in the rural counties where I will be driving (and don't believe any even really have restrictions), but even if they did, and I was stopped, meh...
Posted By: jrfan

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dalroo
How many here (like me) have rural property, but live in the city? I have stayed home since this all broke out, but pretty soon I am going to need to make the drive to check on things. Not really worried about being pulled over in the rural counties where I will be driving (and don't believe any even really have restrictions), but even if they did, and I was stopped, meh...

Same here. They're just going to have to give me a ticket. My company is shutting down EOD today until at least April 6. I will be self isolating in the middle of Young County until then.
Posted By: on the fly

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:19 PM

You would need to roll your window down to give the officer your dl and insurance. Always have them roll it all the way down for officer safety, but obviously officer discretion is used on that part. If they refuse then have them step outside the vehicle. Is not to be a d**k or on a power trip but if they go to grab something i want to be able to react. Also it would appear that the driver is attepting to hide something like alcohol on thier breath, list goes on. If you were that worried about getting it then you wouldnt be out in public. I used some form of hand sanitizer after every contact anyway.

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:25 PM

Yes sir, that is Corona on my breath! Cough cough!
Posted By: JCB

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:26 PM

I can tell you right now there is way more traffic this week with the stay at home orders in place than there was all of last week. If they are going to pull people over you probably have a better chance of getting the Wu Flu than being the one that gets stopped. So far the only person I have seen stopped at all was a 15ish year old kid at the gas station. Not sure what he was doing but I over heard them grilling him about where he lived and why he wasn't at home.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:35 PM

One of my coworkers (young attractive nurse) got pulled over this morning in McLennan County, which is a hotspot, and questioned about why she was traveling. She had her hospital ID badge so there wasn't any problem, but she definitely got checked. We got our hospital issued "travel papers" today.
Posted By: cbump

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 07:56 PM

No one is going to pull you over just to see if you’re essential.

You may or may not get asked about it after getting pulled over for a traffic violation.

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 08:08 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigPig

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 08:12 PM

Laws vs Rules, there’s a difference. Look it up. Read your Bill Of Rights.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by lil_red_ryder

Same here

Ditto

Add me too!
Posted By: Judd

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 09:05 PM

They ain’t pulling anyone over for essential...the way they’ve outlined essential is a joke at best. This shut down stuff is a political move at best...if it works they’ll claim how great they are and they stopped the spread...if it doesn’t work they are going to say how stupid we were for not following guidelines. All at the cost of the economy and a lot of good folks are going to lose everything.

They are actually encouraging folks to go eat take out at food places....come on, if you can’t see the joke in all this.....then I’m sorry.
Posted By: Greg

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 09:15 PM

We are closing on a refi next week and the title company just set us our “papers” to carry with us should we be stopped. I don’t see it happening, but I guess we will be prepared.

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by on the fly
You would need to roll your window down to give the officer your dl and insurance. Always have them roll it all the way down for officer safety, but obviously officer discretion is used on that part. If they refuse then have them step outside the vehicle. Is not to be a d**k or on a power trip but if they go to grab something i want to be able to react. Also it would appear that the driver is attepting to hide something like alcohol on thier breath, list goes on. If you were that worried about getting it then you wouldnt be out in public. I used some form of hand sanitizer after every contact anyway.

How dare I want to feed my family.
Posted By: cm250

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
They ain’t pulling anyone over for essential...the way they’ve outlined essential is a joke at best. This shut down stuff is a political move at best...if it works they’ll claim how great they are and they stopped the spread...if it doesn’t work they are going to say how stupid we were for not following guidelines. All at the cost of the economy and a lot of good folks are going to lose everything.

They are actually encouraging folks to go eat take out at food places....come on, if you can’t see the joke in all this.....then I’m sorry.

Well stated Judd!! up
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 09:34 PM

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by cbump

You may or may not get asked about it after getting pulled over for a traffic violation.

it's funny because if you read the few posts above yours you would see several people talking about getting pulled over and checked.

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 09:36 PM

rofl
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 10:17 PM

My combp license from TP&W is my travel authorization, I am going for food. up

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass

it's funny because if you read the few posts above yours you would see several people talking about getting pulled over and checked.

Hearsay
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 10:33 PM

What about all the TFF'ers towing boats?

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter

What about all the TFF'ers towing boats?

They are good to go get food,, so fishing and hunting is authorized travel.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: LEO question - 03/25/20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

Yep. Sounds about as effective as gun control but then again the liberals aren’t known for operating off anything more than feelings.
Posted By: cbump

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Hearsay

Exactly. Every time I pull someone over they thinks it’s for nothing.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:06 AM

I'd like to apologize to on the fly. I'm being too defensive. Please forgive and thank you for your service.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:10 AM

I start from the position that we (me and the police) are on the some side until they show me they aren't...I am not going to surrender my rights to them but I expect them to protect my rights and I have their back in doing so..... 2cents
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I start from the position that we (me and the police) are on the some side until they show me they aren't...I am not going to surrender my rights to them but I expect them to protect my rights and I have their back in doing so..... 2cents

Reasonable thinking.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:56 AM

The majority of this is addressed in the Bill of Rights, but I gather we don’t have much use for that sort of nonsense anymore.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:35 AM

If you refuse to roll down your window, they will open it for you. Fact.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:38 AM

I was told today, Prosper PD had road block checking to see where peeps were going. Desoto PD stopping peeps to ask where they were going.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
The majority of this is addressed in the Bill of Rights, but I gather we don’t have much use for that sort of nonsense anymore.

Reading is hard

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
I was told today, Prosper PD had road block checking to see where peeps were going. Desoto PD stopping peeps to ask where they were going.

I would like to know if it was a department thing or over achieving officers. An over achiever can make a small town smell real bad real quick
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:59 AM

I'm calling bs and that is a very rare thing for me. Not saying some idiot didn't tell you that, but that rather, that the incidents you descibed occurred.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 03:39 AM

At the company I work for (in Dallas county) just yesterday they had some outside contractors working to replace broken windows, which have been broken and boarded up since October's tornado. E-ssential work? Apparently so..........
Posted By: leswad

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
If you get pulled over to check if your essential, can you refuse to roll down your window? Not saying don't cooperate (i'll show all the required documents) just don't need to be put at risk for infection.

Sitting here with a DPS officer, his answer to the question was “No”

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:01 AM

Come to Abilene, some traffic has picked up and the city parks was business as usual. The park looked like a normal spring day.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by leswad

Sitting here with a DPS officer, his answer to the question was “No”

Of course.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Come to Abilene, some traffic has picked up and the city parks was business as usual. The park looked like a normal spring day.

Same in Dallas even though they are supposed to be shutdown for the play equipment. I ain't going out there. When they get infected they might rethink their choices. Now there is a case in the county I hunt.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman

Same in Dallas even though they are supposed to be shutdown for the play equipment. I ain't going out there. When they get infected they might rethink their choices. Now there is a case in the county I hunt.

A whole case?!

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:18 AM

The people do not realize that Covid 19 can permanently damage their lungs. For the rest of their life they will suffer from this.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:24 AM

The people do not realize that Covid 19 can permanently damage their lungs. For the rest of their life they will suffer from this.

Kind of like pneumonia? Fine. Let’s do it again.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:26 AM

A whole case?!

It starts with one. Just confirmed tonight. In a town of 3,500 people. But apparantly the folks he was around are not taking it seriously and going out and about instead of quarenteening themselves. Town folks are not happy with the counties response from what I see. There is hardly medical care there. Have to go to Wichita Falls 50 miles away which is where he got it from initially.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:47 AM

From what I have heard, this crap damages the lungs, and you live with it for the rest of your life. Making you more likely to get pneumonia and other lung diseases. If bad enough you can kiss good bye any activity in high altitude areas.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:56 AM

From what I have heard, this crap damages the lungs, and you live with it for the rest of your life. Making you more likely to get pneumonia and other lung diseases. If bad enough you can kiss good bye any activity in high altitude areas.

Obviously, I was being smart about it, but pneumonia does similar. Is it worse than that? I had a decent case of pneumonia a few years back, and it has had a lasting effect, but I can still handle altitude just fine.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:59 AM

Different than pneumonia. I have had it almost 10 times and have no issue at altitude. Hiked at 10K last week no issue. This is different apparantly but no idea on long term issues for us young guys. Seems acute.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 05:12 AM

Obviously, I was being smart about it, but pneumonia does similar. Is it worse than that? I had a decent case of pneumonia a few years back, and it has had a lasting effect, but I can still handle altitude just fine.

The way it was explained to me the damage is worse than pneumonia. But then, this is so new, it is still an unknown.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:02 PM

Well, it happened. Got pulled over this morning. The officer was not amused by my 3 lane move around a left lane regulator. She asked for license and insurance. came back a few minutes later and thanked me for my service and asked me to slow down and have a nice day. Very professional. We both went on our ways.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:13 PM

Well, it happened. Got pulled over this morning. The officer was not amused by my 3 lane move around a left lane regulator. She asked for license and insurance. came back a few minutes later and thanked me for my service and asked me to slow down and have a nice day. Very professional. We both went on our ways.

But she didn't pull over the left lane regulator for impeding the smooth flow of traffic.... bang

I would burn through ticket books on that one offense.....yield the damn right of way.... mad
Posted By: Jasb

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:32 PM

Once we get a case all that will change....let the freak out begin
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 12:54 PM

I am in transportation, I work in Addison (Dallas County) We are essential and move everything from food, food packaging, chemicals, hardware supplies, and the list goes on.

We havent had anyone come to our office and ask why people are here.

Between myself and my coworkers, we commute through 5 counties every day.

Dallas County
Tarrant County
Denton County
Collin County
Ellis County

No one has been stopped, no one has seen anything remotely looking like a roadblock or an abnormal amount of people being pulled over.

All of this is a bunch of rumors. Multiple PDs and Sheriff departments have released statements that they are not randomly pulling people over.

This is a bunch of panic artists that saw someone pulled over or got pulled over for a traffic infraction and were asked where they were coming from and where they were going.....like many police officers did before all of this started.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I'm calling bs and that is a very rare thing for me. Not saying some idiot didn't tell you that, but that rather, that the incidents you descibed occurred.

+1 here I drove though Desoto twice yesterday never seen anyone pulled over will go down there today also
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ktexas14
I am in transportation, I work in Addison (Dallas County) We are essential and move everything from food, food packaging, chemicals, hardware supplies, and the list goes on.

Dallas County
Tarrant County
Denton County
Collin County
Ellis County

No one has been stopped, no one has seen anything remotely looking like a roadblock or an abnormal amount of people being pulled over.

All of this is a bunch of rumors. Multiple PDs and Sheriff departments have released statements that they are not randomly pulling people over.

This is a bunch of panic artists that saw someone pulled over or got pulled over for a traffic infraction and were asked where they were coming from and where they were going.....like many police officers did before all of this started.

We have 5 drivers on the road all over the metro mess no one has been pulled over

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by KK30RAR

Dallas County
Tarrant County
Denton County
Collin County
Ellis County

We have 5 drivers on the road all over the metro mess no one has been pulled over

It will be a cold day in hell before they stop letting trucks run. I really think if things got really bad that police, fire, and EMS would stop responding before trucks stopped rolling. People need it too much and when tumultuous times come, freight costs go through the roof. There is too much money in it, someone will always drive a truck.

What kind of trucks do you run?

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:33 PM

Dallas County
Tarrant County
Denton County
Collin County
Ellis County

Stop making sense

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 02:51 PM

but you will get pulled over for a triple lane pass. blush
Posted By: Jasb

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:03 PM

Triple lane pass is a pro move...warning for sure.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jasb

Triple lane pass is a pro move...warning for sure.

I think she was impressed.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:14 PM

Odds of getting caught?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:20 PM

a bullet will catch it bolt

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Odds of getting caught?

[Linked Image]

it won't outrun the radio or the helicopter.

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Odds of getting caught?

[Linked Image]

it won't outrun the radio or the helicopter.

nidea DFW airspace food

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Head
a bullet will catch it bolt

Have you seen BIL or Big Pig shoot? roflmao

Only way I’d been in trouble is if I put a box of donuts on the back, but if I dropped a donut, then we could see class of titans in the Thunder doom, damn then I would have to stop and watch
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 05:48 PM

The virus claims more victims.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 05:48 PM

The way it was explained to me the damage is worse than pneumonia. But then, this is so new, it is still an unknown.

I have heard that fear mongering is more damaging than facts.
Posted By: majekman

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by pegasaurus

I have heard that fear mongering is more damaging than facts.

This ^^^
Posted By: Grizz

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 09:49 PM

+1 here I drove though Desoto twice yesterday never seen anyone pulled over will go down there today also

I suspect people are getting pulled over for traffic violations, asked about their reason for being out during the contact, and that is turning into getting stopped to check essential/non essential status. I definitely ain't buying the road block (like nxtrapper, I'm not doubting the poster was told that).
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grizz

I suspect people are getting pulled over for traffic violations, asked about their reason for being out during the contact, and that is turning into getting stopped to check essential/non essential status. I definitely ain't buying the road block (like nxtrapper, I'm not doubting the poster was told that).

It’s quickly becoming FaceBook urban legend.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 10:13 PM

Hehe - could it be that in the past they might have been pulled over because their car "matched a description", and now they are being asked if out on essential business? Either way, gives LEOs the opportunity to see if someone is up to no good.
Posted By: Concho

Re: LEO question - 03/26/20 11:07 PM

There should have been road blocks at the beaches about 10 days ago, now those folks have all returned to their communities, some exposed, some who knows.....but hey, anything for a good time.

Re: LEO question - 03/27/20 02:01 AM

Lol ,,yuup.

Re: LEO question - 03/27/20 02:43 AM

Dallas County
Tarrant County
Denton County
Collin County
Ellis County

It will be a cold day in hell before they stop letting trucks run. I really think if things got really bad that police, fire, and EMS would stop responding before trucks stopped rolling. People need it too much and when tumultuous times come, freight costs go through the roof. There is too much money in it, someone will always drive a truck.

Yep, because crime sleeps, people stop having heart attacks and needing immediate medical attention, and houses no longer catch on fire when things are really bad rolleyes

Re: LEO question - 03/27/20 03:53 AM

The only thing I will be doing different while heading to leave tomorrow is going 100 in the Express lane. Though it is fun and cleans the engine out...

Someone posted on the neighborhood page that there were cops on every corner tonight. I did take out and saw zero and no one was even at the grocery stores.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: LEO question - 03/27/20 12:51 PM

The only thing I will be doing different while heading to leave tomorrow is going 100 in the Express lane. Though it is fun and cleans the engine out...

Someone posted on the neighborhood page that there were cops on every corner tonight. I did take out and saw zero and no one was even at the grocery stores.

Yep, some of these eyewitness accounts can be sketchy at best. If people want to see jack boot gestapo, that's exactly what they're going to see.

Re: LEO question - 03/27/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Dallas County
Tarrant County
Denton County
Collin County
Ellis County

Yep, because crime sleeps, people stop having heart attacks and needing immediate medical attention, and houses no longer catch on fire when things are really bad rolleyes

No one said that, the point is that if first responders stop responding (which has happened multiple times in this country in the last 30 years) society gets pretty crazy, if you stop delivering goods to grocery stores, society will collapse.

Sorry you misundertood. Trucks will be the last thing to stop moving in modern society in the US.-If we ever get that far.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum