Texas Hunting Forum

Texas Handgun Open Carry

Posted By: DancesWithSquirrels

Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/26/20 09:23 PM

I keep finding conflicting articles about the legality of open carrying a handgun (with a CHL) in Texas. Anybody know the true answer to this?
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/26/20 09:29 PM

TX DPS Handgun LIcensing

Click on Laws and Regulations...147 page PDF file
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/26/20 10:14 PM

CHL is now LTC...license to carry.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/26/20 10:15 PM

Texas penal code
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/26/20 10:51 PM

Can't open carry in your car (unless on your person). Those fancy holsters that go under the console are a no-go.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 01:49 AM

popcorn
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by noname124398
Can't open carry in your car (unless on your person). Those fancy holsters that go under the console are a no-go.

I’d call that one a gray area. The law says it must be in a shoulder or belt holster. Doesn’t say it has to be attached to a person, just in the holster. So one could argue that a pistol in a belt holster sitting in a cup holder meets the requirements. I’ve been waiting to see an arrest or ruling on this but so far haven’t. Be interesting the first time someone tries it.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 01:57 AM

to many gray areas

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tin Head
to many gray areas

A lot better now that OC is legal, no more “printing” charges and reduced penalties for accidentally missing 3006/3007 signs.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:04 AM

Why would anyone want to announce to the world that they are armed?

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:06 AM

I think its along the lines of "use it or loose it"

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by MBradford

Most likely as a deterrent.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by krmitchell

Or convenience, wear a suit and it gets hot take off jacket...no need to conceal.

Not everything is black and white, open your mind.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:19 AM

I’d say at this point..100 percent of open carriers I’ve ran across look like some trashy MF’s

Not once have I stumbled across one who looks like they graduated high school
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05
I’d say at this point..100 percent of open carriers I’ve ran across look like some trashy MF’s

lol444

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:25 AM

Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:25 AM

roflmao

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:27 AM

Or, most likely the first one who gets shot if there is someone intent on causing mayhem.

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:28 AM

Like these two?

[Linked Image]

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:45 AM

You need to move.

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:46 AM

No
Retention holster, duh.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:47 AM

Constitutional Cary. They rest is garbage.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:50 AM

Or, most likely the first one who gets shot if there is someone intent on causing mayhem.

Eh. Maybe in an active shooter situation. I’d be willing to bet most robbers have no intention of shooting anybody, and would be far more likely to find another target than an area with a person open carrying a gun. Never open carried, and don’t intend on it, but it’s just as likely to go the other direction as the one your opinion says it will.

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 02:54 AM

Last time I open carried , it scared to bad guys off. A passing car scared them off the first time , open carry scared them off the second. bolt

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 03:00 AM

Last time I open carried , it scared to bad guys off. A passing car scared them off the first time , open carry scared them off the second. bolt

Well lucky you, you never know for a fact if it was effective.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 03:04 AM

I've opened carried many times, in an Alaskan guide series shoulder holster. Its most often been while on a hunting trip, and I go into town for lunch or stop for gas on the way home. I have it on anyway, it's my right so I don't see it as a big deal. It's up high, a little off center of my chest. The last time was in Bogata. Went in for lunch and the four State Troopers in the cafe didn't seem to care. Another time was in Vernon. I ended up selling two of the holsters for the company to two guys that were interested. I don't buy into the idea of being a target of opportunity to a mass shooter, or any other person with ill intent.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 03:11 PM

Is it considered open carry if you are going commando and your fly is open?
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by pegasaurus

Not if you are armed with a derringer..........
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 03:23 PM

All this gun talk makes me want to go buy a new one
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by noname124398

I’d call that one a gray area. The law says it must be in a shoulder or belt holster. Doesn’t say it has to be attached to a person, just in the holster. So one could argue that a pistol in a belt holster sitting in a cup holder meets the requirements. I’ve been waiting to see an arrest or ruling on this but so far haven’t. Be interesting the first time someone tries it.

Funny you mention that. I got pulled over with mine sitting in the passenger seat (in holster). He said "thats not supposed to be out in plain sight" to which i replied "ok i will put it up when we part ways" and that was it. He didn't care one bit.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

lol444

Get out of the Hood. In rural setting I've seen ranchers with big hog leg revolvers in leather holsters.

Of course they were likely doing so pre open carry laws.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 07:20 PM

That is called trolling.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 07:31 PM

to many gray areas

A lot better now that OC is legal, no more “printing” charges and reduced penalties for accidentally missing 3006/3007 signs.

Never heard of someone being charged with anything because they were printing. Printing was not illegal before the LTC change.

Marc

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

That is called trolling.

With ultralight tackle?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 08:26 PM

Unless I'm working I do not display a weapon. I also try to be as gray man as possible and not draw attention to myself.

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Marc K
to many gray areas

Never heard of someone being charged with anything because they were printing. Printing was not illegal before the LTC change.

Marc

You're right "printing" wasn't illegal, but not carrying concealed was. The outline of the gun being visible was one of those gray areas since if you can see the outline of the weapon it wasn't "concealed". OC made this concern irrelevant and as others have said you don't have to be very careful if you bend over or expose your weapon on accident.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 08:39 PM

to many gray areas

Marc

You're right "printing" wasn't illegal, but not carrying concealed was. The outline of the gun being visible was one of those gray areas since if you can see the outline of the weapon it wasn't "concealed". OC made this concern irrelevant and as others have said you don't have to be very careful if you bend over or expose your weapon on accident.

Unless you are in a location that is posted 30.07 and not 30.06. If it’s obvious you have are carrying then you are not concealing it.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 08:44 PM

Like these two?

[Linked Image]

I feel much better now with these two on duty. slinger
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/27/20 09:36 PM

Guy on the rights duck boots are untied..
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/28/20 12:05 AM

to many gray areas

Marc

I do not argue that open carry makes it easier to carry - oh, you bet!

My only point was that printing and even "unintentional and brief full exposure" were never illegal and therefore never chargeable. Try to find a case of someone being convicted with a printing-related offense. Lifting your shirt on purpose to expose a weapon was brandishing - nasty printing was poor form - but NOT illegal in any way. The "no more worry about printing" thing is a myth.

Remember that even accidental full open exposure was only illegal if the "intent to brandish" could be reasonably demonstrated.

Marc
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Texas Handgun Open Carry - 02/29/20 05:57 AM

IMHO......open carry is sooooooooooooooooooo stupid.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum