Texas Hunting Forum

The new checkout layout at Academy

Posted By: Texas Dan

The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/20/20 11:58 PM

Dropped by one of the Academy stores in my area yesterday and noticed they had changed the checkout lanes to a single lane layout like that in the stores where my wife often shops. Not sure I like a layout that reminds me of TJ Max or Home Goods.

I guess it's supposed to result in less time waiting but seeing more people in front of you doesn't seem to make that appear likely.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:01 AM

There is one near me. Never noticed.
Posted By: cbump

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:03 AM

Ok
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:16 AM

My cynical side says its just to reduce labor costs, not to get you out of the store any quicker.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Dropped by one of the Academy stores in my area yesterday and noticed they had changed the checkout lanes to a single lane layout like that in the stores where my wife often shops. Not sure I like a layout that reminds me of TJ Max or Home Goods.

I guess it's supposed to result in less time waiting but seeing more people in front of you doesn't seem to make that appear likely.

Love it. The new store in Mansfield is the new layout....much faster.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Homer Jay
My cynical side says its just to reduce labor costs, not to get you out of the store any quicker.

Possibly, but more likely is that the new layout opens up more floor space to display items to sell. Sales per square foot go up so more efficient to operate.

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:24 AM

My wife believes they do it in order to encourage you to pick up and buy stuff that's on the racks on each side of you as would wait to reach the front of the line.

Yesterday it seemed that had just as many checkers are they normally would, leaving the person at the front of the line to go to the next checker that becomes available.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

Possibly, but more likely is that the new layout opens up more floor space to display items to sell. Sales per square foot go up so more efficient to operate.

This

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

Maybe so. Perhaps self checkout is coming next.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:32 AM

My wife believes they do it in order to encourage you to pick up and buy stuff that's on the racks on each side of you as would wait to reach the front of the line.

up
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:39 AM

Y’all need to learn more about queuing theory.

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Does that have anything to do with high-capacity magazines for shotguns?

Sorry but I couldn't resist.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:48 AM

Does that have anything to do with high-capacity magazines for shotguns?

Sorry but I couldn't resist.

Not really but it’s like watching people debate the validity of basic addition and subtraction.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:52 AM

I think it is better to have the TJ Maxx (one line with multiple cashiers) as I always get stuck behind the numb nuts who takes 20 minutes to check out.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 12:56 AM

yeah those companies are not going to remodel their stores to please you and get you out faster. If they slow it down a tad you will pick up more stuff along the way. Thats their main goal , SALES!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 01:15 AM

It's called free enterprise, they can do what they want. You have the choice, go along with it, or shop elsewhere. up
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 01:32 AM

Ran into this at our local Academy. Don’t care for it, but I don’t go there that often.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 01:35 AM

Arlington Academy is such a beat down that I usually order online and ship to home even thought it's only a few miles away.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 01:54 AM

I can live with their present checkout system, but if they go to self checkout they lose me.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 02:17 AM

I watch the cashiers work. I perfer to chose my cashier. Purple hair, facial piercings and rudeness get a pass. Single line checkout can cause me to be unhappy. But then so does loud rap music in a store.

I may have became an old grouch. Hmmm.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 02:19 AM

I love TJ Max and Northstrom Rack
Company runs like a champ.
I buy majority of my clothes there.

Northstrom Rack has Joe’s jeans and kakis that are 60-65% off, they are the best jeans and kakis you will ever wear.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 02:50 AM

guess im lucky, the 2 frisco stores are great, even bought my SIG 365 from them.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 03:51 AM

^^^^^
This
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tin Head
yeah those companies are not going to remodel their stores to please you and get you out faster. If they slow it down a tad you will pick up more stuff along the way. Thats their main goal , SALES!!!

Well, DUH!! That's the whole point of being in business! As was said, at least the single line keeps me from getting stuck behind the one bonehead that takes 30 mins to check out.
Posted By: papa45

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 01:52 PM

I like the new setup. With multiple lines, just like at the grocery store, no matter which one I pick, it's always the slowest!
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: The new checkout layout at Academy - 02/21/20 05:26 PM

They only have them in the Central and Northern parts of the state here in Florida. I hope they move further south.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum