Texas Hunting Forum

Any Bourbon Collectors

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 12:37 AM

Any of you bourbon collectors? My buddy just go started and I have been trying to track down some for him. Got me to thinking maybe I might get into the game.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 12:39 AM

Where do you come up with the great threads you start on this forum? confused2
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 12:45 AM

This was recommended the other day
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...binger_xc_straight_bourbon_whiskey_5.jpg
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 12:50 AM

I try to collect it but it just keeps disappearing... roflmao
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 12:54 AM

Collecting gets really expensive very quickly. Drinking is cheaper.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by jhenderson
Collecting gets really expensive very quickly. Drinking is cheaper.

And makes you smarter. cheers

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

What's the issue? Don't like, move along....... up

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by kwrhuntinglab

No issue. I'm sincere. Love Whisky threads. Just friended you. cheers
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:28 AM

I’d be a piss poor whiskey collector...
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:30 AM

I’m not wealthy enough to collect them, I drink what I buy

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:31 AM

No issue. I'm sincere. Love Whisky threads. Just friended you. cheers

I’m sure he’s thrilled
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:41 AM

I’m like BigPig, in that I buy it to be consumed. Just for sipping these days, I lean toward Irish Whiskey, specifically Tullamore Dew.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:43 AM

Cathy left some little bitty bottles. Does that make me a collector?

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:52 AM

Cathy left some little bitty bottles. Does that make me a collector?

No.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:54 AM

Makes relationships with a couple of stores, it's getting harder and harder with the hard to find bottles. Most of them end up on the secondary market for a 5-6x retail. Don't call liquor stores asking if they have xxxx bourbon, they will lie to you because they get those calls all day.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 02:16 AM

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ox190
Makes relationships with a couple of stores, it's getting harder and harder with the hard to find bottles. Most of them end up on the secondary market for a 5-6x retail. Don't call liquor stores asking if they have xxxx bourbon, they will lie to you because they get those calls all day.

This^^^
And most of the hard to find stuff will never hit the shelf now days. My local shop openly admits that if it makes it past the distributor it will never make it past their dock.
And yes, liquor stores do lie a lot.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by pdr55

Meh

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 03:09 AM

Yes kwrhuntinglab, I suppose that I am a collector. I buy more than I consume, but then I consider it an investment too.
The last ten years the cost of desirable bourbons has gone up in price significantly. I drink bottles that were only $25 five years ago, and now are $50+ and dang near impossible to find. And $150-$300 on the secondary market.
Here is an example, and this guy is actually being pretty fair compared to others that I have seen.
https://austin.craigslist.org/clt/d/austin-blantons-bourbon/7040630968.html
It is dang near impossible to buy 11 bottles of Blantons from a store. To get something like this you have to know somebody or work in a place that gives you the ability to get it before it hits the shelf.
The bourbon market can be frustrating. But then I have learned that there are a lot of $50 bourbons that are dang good, if not better than the hard to find ones. Plenty in the $30 range too.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 11:23 AM

My last two bottles of Blantons arrived in a package from, get this, the Netherlands. She indicated she paid as much for the two bottles we got in KY over New Years. Although my wife is a good buyer (ie: not a shopper), I wasn't exactly happy. It's better to sample the least expensive good tasting bourbon than it is to get ridiculous with your pocketbook.

I will say, I did enjoy a Blantons neat last evening.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 11:32 AM

Collect? No. It all turns to piss.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 12:57 PM

I wouldn't call myself a collector, but I do have some backups of bourbons that I like to drink, such as Blanton's, Weller 12, Weller Antique, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, etc. 5 years ago, I could get this stuff almost any store, but as the bourbon boom started happening, it has disappeared. Most of this stuff nowadays never sees the shelves in Texas and is kept in offices or under the counter at the store, but it is important to build a relationship with store owners (and buy other stuff that isn't allocated) and they will hook you up.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:42 PM

Recently, my wife was on the call list for a Blantons delivery at a large liquor store in Universal City, just outside of San Antonio. She got the call and estimated she was about 40th in line for the doors to open. They had three bottles delivered.

Try Colonel Taylor and Basil Haydens.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:46 PM

Let me pour me a sip of Eagle Rare and think about my answer.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Collect? No. It all turns to piss.

this^^^

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Let me pour me a sip of Eagle Rare and think about my answer.

Eagle Rare is a great pour, it was a cheap drink at one point but word has spread that it’s a good pour and is now hard to find. Another good one is Very Old Bartons

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 07:17 PM

Good thing is my fiance is the Regional Manager for a liquor store. But it's still hard to find some of them out there.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 07:29 PM

"He said, "Women were made to love
Money is made to spend
Life is something, buddy
You will never live again"
Oh, I've got to admit it
Joe sure knows how to live"

somewhere in there he shoulda put a line 'bout whiskey is made to drink
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Same here, i just end up as a bottle collector.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Country01

up cheers
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 11:09 PM

I collected this one after lunch today.......dang good stuff!

[Linked Image]

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/18/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Country01

Yeah, I collect the bottles and fill em up with colored water to make folks think I’m a high roller like y’all...
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/19/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Drop Tine
I collected this one after lunch today.......dang good stuff!

[Linked Image]

Good stuff. Was drinking that Sat.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/19/20 11:07 PM

Good thing is my fiance is the Regional Manager for a liquor store. But it's still hard to find some of them out there.

Does it start with a P?

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/19/20 11:44 PM

Does it start with a P?

The liquor store? Yes it starts with a P

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/20/20 04:01 AM

Does it start with a P?

The liquor store? Yes it starts with a P

I have a couple of buddies that get hooked up with some decent stuff from there, but they know the owner directly.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/20/20 05:59 AM

There are private groups on Facebook for this. People put bottles up and you buy spots and they use some states daily lottery to draw the winning spot. My buddy got a $600 bottle of Pappys for two spots at $25 each. Of course you could never win as well. Some bottles up to $2K. Pretty nuts.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 01:45 AM

[quote=kwrhuntinglab][quote=Ox190]Makes relationships with a couple of stores, it's getting harder and harder with the hard to find bottles. Most of them end up on the secondary market for a 5-6x retail. Don't call liquor stores asking if they have xxxx bourbon, they will lie to you because they get those calls all day.

I have a couple of buddies that get hooked up with some decent stuff from there, but they know the owner directly.

Message me I am curious as to who. My fiance may know them as well if they are regular customers.....
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 02:01 AM

Yep, collector and enjoy consuming as well

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 02:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by stillhntr
[Linked Image]

Now that is awesome up

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 02:50 AM

Looks better like this
[Linked Image]
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 01:21 PM

Got lucky yesterday and found another bottle of Eagle Rare. Now looking for some Blanton's to sip on.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Looks better like this
[Linked Image]

Tell me a little about that one. I like wheated bourbons as well as trying barrel proof. Many are surprisingly good considering their alcohol content.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/21/20 01:35 PM

Got lucky yesterday and found another bottle of Eagle Rare. Now looking for some Blanton's to sip on.

Lucky.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/22/20 06:35 PM

My friend's collection seems to be nothing but empty bottles

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/22/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Looks better like this
[Linked Image]

Tell me a little about that one. I like wheated bourbons as well as trying barrel proof. Many are surprisingly good considering their alcohol content.

I was impressed, it is very good. It is good neat or on the rocks. I am thinking of trying the Weller CYPB this evening, we'll see.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/24/20 12:55 AM

I think you will find the full proof to be better.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/24/20 02:02 AM

I’ve got some really expensive Blantons if your thirsty
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 02/25/20 09:31 PM

I collect it in my belly

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/26/20 12:03 AM

Well as the collecting has started......I was able to secure a 10yr Pappy, some EHT, Eagle Rare, Blantons and the list goes on......Guess I am making this an investment more than anything. Although the Balcones Bock is pretty good.....

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/26/20 01:37 AM

Just found a new soul mate. Headed to Odessa in the morning.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/26/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Just found a new soul mate. Headed to Odessa in the morning.

What is your new soulmate....
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/26/20 09:56 PM

I got lucky & I was able to snag a bottle of Blanton's. I took it to a buddy's house for him to open-up & share. Instead he got real excited & put it on the shelf above his bar as an addition to his collection. Then he pour us some Bulliet to drink!

I don't know about this bourbon collecting business. After a few drinks, I suggested that we get some goo-b-gone & peel open the paper seal, drink the Blanton, then fill the bottle with tea, re-seal & put it back on the shelf next to the Weller 10. He wouldn't go for it, I hope we'll get to drink it together someday. confused2
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/26/20 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
I got lucky & I was able to snag a bottle of Blanton's. I took it to a buddy's house for him to open-up & share. Instead he got real excited & put it on the shelf above his bar as an addition to his collection. Then he pour us some Bulliet to drink!

I don't know about this bourbon collecting business. After a few drinks, I suggested that we get some goo-b-gone & peel open the paper seal, drink the Blanton, then fill the bottle with tea, re-seal & put it back on the shelf next to the Weller 10. He wouldn't go for it, I hope we'll get to drink it together someday. confused2

I hate to break it to you, but it sounds like you're on his "B" list of friends. roflmao Booze is meant to be drunk, it's not a darn decoration.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/26/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I hate to break it to you, but it sounds like you're on his "B" list of friends. roflmao Booze is meant to be drunk, it's not a darn decoration.

It's an investment for me.... I've got 3 bottles I could sell for $500-600 profit.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 01:20 AM

That’s a very disappointing statement.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

It's an investment for me.... I've got 3 bottles I could sell for $500-600 profit.

Well enlighten us on what you have getting 5-600 profit? popcorn

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 11:07 AM

Geez peoples, really! Not drinking the bourbon to save it as an investment is akin to not banging your girlfriend to save her for her next boyfriend.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 11:43 AM

Geez peoples, really! Not drinking the bourbon to save it as an investment is akin to not banging your girlfriend to save her for her next boyfriend.

Well articulated.
Posted By: Concho

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by snake oil

Well articulated.

roflmao

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 01:32 PM

Do you invest in anything? Probably not if that’s what you equate my collecting to!! But to each his own.

10 yr Pappys that I bought for $100 sells for $500 on the secondary market.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 01:53 PM

Do you invest in anything? Probably not if that’s what you equate my collecting to!! But to each his own.

It's insane what ORVW goes for on secondary. It's way overhyped. There are better tasting whiskeys sitting on shelves every day. The 15 and 20 PVW are good pours. 23 is good but absolutely ridiculous on the secondary market 15 is my preference.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 01:59 PM

"Do you invest in anything? Probably not if that’s what you equate my collecting to!! But to each his own."

I invest in Real Estate and people. I collect Pearl beer memorabilia among other things.
[Linked Image]

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 02:02 PM

It's insane what ORVW goes for on secondary. It's way overhyped. There are better tasting whiskeys sitting on shelves every day. The 15 and 20 PVW are good pours. 23 is good but absolutely ridiculous on the secondary market 15 is my preference.

I've got a lock on a 15yr hopefully coming my way in Nov. but we will see. But yes it is crazy what these things go for... I am only collecting the ones that will go up in value like that, Blantons, Blood Oath, EHT, to name a few. I have a decent little collection going that is probably triple in value right now.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 02:05 PM

I've got a lock on a 15yr hopefully coming my way in Nov. but we will see. But yes it is crazy what these things go for... I am only collecting the ones that will go up in value like that, Blantons, Blood Oath, EHT, to name a few. I have a decent little collection going that is probably triple in value right now.

The 15 is really really good. I wouldn't pay secondary prices but if I could get one at retail I may have a hard time selling it.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 02:14 PM

Anyone seen Blantons Gold?
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 02:36 PM

I recently bought a Whistle Pig 15 that was 1 of 139 from that barrel. Most of the rest of the barrels were blended and cut to a different proof. If there was ever a bottle I should have left unopened it’s that one. I had one drink and hated it. It will be given to buddy of mine who likes good whiskey. If he doesn’t like it I’ll likely send it to a member here who I know is a Whistle Pig fan.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 02:37 PM

Just curious , what type of return are you expecting if 3X to 5X isn’t enough?

I hope this doesn’t turn out like cabbage patch dolls and emus did for so many.
If so, at least there will be good whisky to drink afterwards.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 02:49 PM

Seeing it on the secondary market more than anything

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 04:34 PM

Seeing it on the secondary market more than anything

I’ve seen the Blantons gold.

This thread just keeps getting worse.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 04:53 PM

I've tried the Gold and it's not worse. Pretty good actually. Klappenbach still won't tell me how or where he found it. He'll pour me a drink, put the cork back and then smugly move the bottle way from me.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 06:09 PM

Blanton's Gold had been only available to buy oversees, but they are about to start releasing it once a year in the U.S. each summer.

Blanton's Gold US Release

For everybody sitting on Blanton's as an investment, you are going to be sorely disappointed if you keep it more than 4-5 years from now. I listened to an interview with the Buffalo Trace Master Distiller, Harlen Wheatley, and he stated that since the bourbon boom hit, they have tripled production of such allocated items as Blantons, EHT products, Weller products, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, etc. and their should be much more available to consumers in the next few years.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 06:42 PM

How did Klappenbach get it from overseas?

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by NDN98
Blanton's Gold had been only available to buy oversees, but they are about to start releasing it once a year in the U.S. each summer.

For everybody sitting on Blanton's as an investment, you are going to be sorely disappointed if you keep it more than 4-5 years from now. I listened to an interview with the Buffalo Trace Master Distiller, Harlen Wheatley, and he stated that since the bourbon boom hit, they have tripled production of such allocated items as Blantons, EHT products, Weller products, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, etc. and their should be much more available to consumers in the next few years.

I drink mine one pour at a time.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

Me too!
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 10:33 PM

I drink everything that comes through the door! Who in the heck just collects bottles? Must have some serious self control I don't have.

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

Me too!

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 11:33 PM

I guess I am a collector if for no other reason than
I like to drink whiskey. My collection is what you
might call fluid, literally and figuratively since it pours
and it is ever changing. I have nothing that I will not
drink or offer any guest. Also, nothing special or in demand
on facebook or internet forums. I just like whiskey.

[Linked Image]

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/27/20 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by PKnTX
I guess I am a collector if for no other reason than
I like to drink whiskey. My collection is what you
might call fluid, literally and figuratively since it pours
and it is ever changing. I have nothing that I will not
drink or offer any guest. Also, nothing special or in demand
on facebook or internet forums. I just like whiskey.

[Linked Image]

I currently have 2 of those...

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/28/20 12:28 AM

Hell I bought 1 of them on your recommendation in another thread.

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/28/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by PKnTX

Hell I bought 1 of them on your recommendation in another thread.

roflmao So we know which one that is roflmao

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 05/28/20 11:09 AM

Sipping bourbon and reading Dickens & McMurty - ya' gotta love it.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Any Bourbon Collectors - 06/24/20 09:08 PM

I've got a bottle of Blanton's I would trade for a Weller 12.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum