Texas Hunting Forum

I needed a giggle.....

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 12:54 AM

Bobcat recipe....

Cody's Llama

I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in
a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it.

The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured
that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear
of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the
bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not
be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it
down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with
my rope.

The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well
back. They were not having any of it.

After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up -- 3 of them. I
picked out.. ..a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and
threw.. My rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me.

I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so
I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could
tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation.

I took a step towards it...it took a step away. I put a little
tension on the rope and then received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may
just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action
when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer
is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could
fight down with a rope and with some dignity.

A deer-- no chance.

That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was
no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet
and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer
on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined.

The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina
as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as
quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me
a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out
of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed
venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around
its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was
no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing,
and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.

Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where
I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large
rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to
recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility
for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow
death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder -
a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute.

I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could
get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million
years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised
when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist.

Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a
horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes
its head --almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably
to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method
was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes,
but it was likely only several seconds.

I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning
that claim by now), tricked it.

While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right
arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose. That was when
I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear
right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and
their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that, when an animal
-- like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily,
the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards
the animal.
This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you
can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such
trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different
strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run.

The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and
run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will
hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after
all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second
I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does
not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger
has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you
while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went
away.

So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring
a rifle with a scope to sort of even the odds.
Posted By: Judd

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 01:00 AM

roflmao
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 01:03 AM

Always bump worthy clap
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 01:04 AM

clap
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 01:06 AM

And the moral of the story is "don't be a dumb a$$" especially about deer roping
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 01:08 AM

That’s funny!!
Posted By: MikeC

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 01:09 AM

rofl

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 01:20 AM

Did you know deer bite? brings tears to my eyes every time I read Nathan's tale.... rofl
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 02:55 AM

Classic
Posted By: leswad

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 04:45 AM

Stealing this clap
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 11:47 AM

Sounds like something stupid I would get myself into.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 12:37 PM

clap
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/03/20 05:15 PM

rofl Sounds easier than tangling with a bobcat, you should try it Jes.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 02:17 AM

banana
Posted By: nsmike

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 02:54 AM

ROFL! That's great.

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz
rofl Sounds easier than tangling with a bobcat, you should try it Jes.

I learned my lesson....I’ll live vicariously through y’all from now on..... cheers
Posted By: redhaze

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 09:38 AM

Funny, tears in the laughing process! clap
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 11:25 AM

Haven’t busted out laughing in a long time. This one did it.
Posted By: Stub

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 11:40 AM

laugh
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 04:14 PM

clap
Posted By: Guy

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 06:08 PM

That’s funny, where did that story come from?

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/04/20 06:13 PM

Nathan’s post in Cody’s llama thread....

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/10/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by fray
Funny, tears in the laughing process! clap

One more bump.... clap
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/11/20 12:51 AM

Made my day!!!!
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/11/20 02:51 AM

clap roflmao lol35
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/11/20 03:19 AM

These are always great for a laugh. I’m just glad I have the one about the guy that picked up a bob cat on the side of the road. Then there was a story about a kid, a skunk, the dog that got sprayed, and his sisters new coat getting ruined. The mom was a nurse and some how that kid lived to tell the story.

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/11/20 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lakhota
These are always great for a laugh. I’m just glad I have the one about the guy that picked up a bob cat on the side of the road. Then there was a story about a kid, a skunk, the dog that got sprayed, and his sisters new coat getting ruined. The mom was a nurse and some how that kid lived to tell the story.

What sort of degenerate would pick up a bobcat on the side of the road? peep
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 02/11/20 03:48 PM

www.homesteadingtoday.com › ... › Countryside Families
Roping a deer, not smart (funny) | Welcome to the Homesteading ...
Jan 29, 2011 - 20 posts - ‎17 authors
I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem ... I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite ...

Great Story. Been around the circuit since 2007. I can't find who the original author is.

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 04:27 PM

With everyone a little on edge lately though I’d recycle these funnies.... re-read them and giggle a bit....

Feel free to post up your funny stories.... cheers
Posted By: TCM3

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 04:41 PM

roflmao rofl rofl clap
rifle
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 04:58 PM

The kid with the flaming arrows is classic.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:00 PM

Well Mr Wrangler sir, if ya needed a giggle, why didn’t you just ask? up
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:03 PM

Found it.

Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor tire will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough sumbich.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (Ether). The light bulb went off in my head. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner. Lets face it, to a 10 yr old mouth-breather like myself, (Ether), really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles).

At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the (Ether) can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie, a 1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz (Ether) should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Screw that I'm going back in the house for the other can.

Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we're cookin'.

I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a clunk as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck... OH [censored]! He just got home from work. So help me God it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WTF look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can. Oh [censored].

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 fricking decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was like a little low to the ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a worm or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this... THE FRICKING DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE.

There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was". That son-of-a-bitch got up and ran off.

So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my thundercats T-Shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback:

ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOU'RE BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE. DAMNIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard. There is a Honda 185 3 wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires..

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don't know - I know I said something. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either... not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later....repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR. and Dad screaming "Bring him back to life so I can kill him again". Thanks Mom.

One thing is for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again, Mom had been bitching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business.

Dad sold his muzzle loader a week later. I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating, or both.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It's good discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life.
Posted By: janie

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:06 PM

roflmao

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:20 PM

Hadn’t seen that one ....thanks Sneaky... rofl
Posted By: erathar

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:41 PM

Nevermind. Found it.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:43 PM

rofl

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:44 PM

rofl
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 05:53 PM

rofl
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: I needed a giggle..... - 03/30/20 06:50 PM

Here is one from years ago from SniperRAB. I sure miss his stories

Reminds me years ago when everyone was gonna get rich off of Emus and it went south, a Buddy called me and said Hey..You ever eat Emu, no why..man it's awesome and a guy said we can have one we just need to go get it and we will split it..okay..I meet him and we end up driving to around Bob Sandlin (first flag) bang we pull up and there is the culprit in a pen, I said hey you sure this is the right place..oh yea, what do we do now..we rope it and cut its throat and I will process it (second flag) bang fast forward to two grown men that had something in a rope and a looked like a Benny Hill skit while it is literally trying to kill both of us !! My Buddy gets a Fritch Von Erich direct kick to the chest and hits the ground as I scramble to the truck and recover a Shotgun and give Ole JFK the Lee Harvey to the Head!! about that time a Sheriff car pulls up and I chit you not he looked like Buford T Puser ...I,m standing there holding a shotgun smoking, my Buddy is on the ground rolling around clutching his chest moaning and theres a Emu flopping spraying blood all over the place eeks333

I gently lay the weapon down and we stare at each other for what seemed like 5 mins and I went...Hey man... what's up, pretty azz day ain't it rofl
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum