Texas Hunting Forum

New Orleans

Posted By: jeepman3366

New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:40 AM

Heading to New Orleans this weekend for 4 days and staying half a block off Bourbon St, any suggestions on what to do and whereto eat?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:43 AM

Hurricane at Pat O'Brian's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:47 AM

WWII museum is great. Worth the time.
Take a haunted tour one night, my wife enjoyed that.

Food wise:
Brennan’s, mr b’s, gw fins, commanders palace are options for
Dinner
Lunch at mama’s. Lots of options there.

Possibly a food tour. There’s a zillion jazz clubs and they are all good, just gotta find something that suits you.

Biegnets are a must. Care du mond is the place to get them close to jackson square.

My wife and I have seen some of NO, but we do enjoy the food
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:48 AM

WW2 Museum for sure. Food is pretty good wherever you go, looks like you will be near the touristy areas. Better food further away.

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:51 AM

Acme Oyster Bar for Po Boys.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:57 AM

Antoine's
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:01 AM

Gotta agree with Bill on Pat O'Brian's and Acme. Solid choices
Antoine's Another solid choice

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:02 AM

I lived there for three years but it was 50 years ago. I yield to most of the above. Just go. cheers
Posted By: majekman

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:20 AM

Was just there...Mulates about a block down from Harrahs. Get the Crabe au gratin...
Finish with bread pudding and butter rum sauce. up
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:35 AM

Leave as soon as possible.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:44 AM

Never take advice from dated information as times change

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:45 AM

Pascals Manals shrimp is great.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 603Country

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 03:05 AM

Ooooh, yes...Manales at Jackson and St Charles. And you HAVE to get a burger and beer at the Port of Call on Esplanade. I think they still won’t let you order fries, so just tuff it out.

The Napoleon House for a Muffaleta sandwich (not the Central Grocery).

And for me...find a good Po Boy shop and order the following: “Meatball PoBoy, dressed, American cheese, extra dose of hot mustard”. Close your eyes as you chew, and enjoy the experience. “Dressed” means lettuce, tomato, pickle, etc.

I’d go back there (lived there for 7 Madrid Gras, and rode Bacchus twice) for a visit, but the wife refuses.

Do NOT go north of ST Claude Avenue if you are walking around. Avoid dark places and streets after dark in the Quarter, and I wouldn’t walk around on St Charles Avenue after dark. Take a cab to Manales and a cab back to the hotel. It isn’t a safe city. Safety in numbers...
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 03:23 AM

They have really good Vietnamese food there.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 04:26 AM

Mother's for lunch.

Charlie
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 05:24 AM

Cochon Butcher near the WW museum, you’ll go back again and again
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 12:41 PM

Cast Net for lunch. It’s where the locals go and about a 15 min drive from the French quarter. It’s not fancy and not expensive but excellent sea food. It falls under the “whole in a wall” type place.
If you ever boil crawfish, buy some of their spices too..
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Mother's for lunch.

Charlie

Gotta get a debris po boy there if going.

I think Felix's makes a damn good char grilled oyster, Acme Oysters is overrated.

The Old Absinthe House makes a good Old Fashioned and Bloody Mary, they taste the best around 11 am when Bourbon is at its most quiet time.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 01:52 PM

Peche Seafood Grill

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:09 PM

The corn on a cob by the street vendors on Bourbon street was great.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:39 PM

If you do the WWII museum, skip the restaurants inside. Wildly overpriced junk food. Walk two blocks or so to Magazine Pizza. It's a little spendy, but we had a couple awesome pizzas there.
Posted By: noname124398

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 02:53 PM

If you're into jazz and stuff go to Frenchman street. For restaurants/bars/shops that are a little more tame go to Magazine street (the bulldog pub is a cool spot for a beer)
Posted By: Mike W

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by LFD2037

+1
Posted By: MO

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 04:04 PM

Dragos for Charbroiled oysters, bottom floor of Riverside Hilton.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike W

+1

To spend more time at the WWII museum is the only reason I will go back to NOLA...
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 06:21 PM

New Orleans hamburger and seafood company. Moderately priced, tasty food. Plus their house specialty Hurricane, the 44. 44 ounces of awesomeness, 4 different rums for $4.44 . Best deal in town.

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 07:16 PM

I emailed this link to Cathy. She was born there and has spent several nights as stopovers on the way to visit. Her school also sent her with law students to do pro bono work. Here is her reply.

"Though your recs may be from fifty years ago, those institutions have stood the test of time pretty well.

I second the recommendations for Brennan's (particularly for brunch), Cochon, Vietnamese, Felix's, and Drogos.

In the fancy classics department, I also love the Jazz Bistro at Arnauds. Their oysters and almond are great as are their French 75's. The band is fantastic.

For po-boys, I love Mahoney's on Magazine in the Garden District. Johnny's in the quarter is good for people who want something in the quarter.

A couple of other great places in the Garden District on Magazine are Coquette and Rum House (Cajun and Carribean taco fusion--delicious, cheap, festive--and all kinds of daquiris).

Meauxbar Bistro on the edge of the Quarter near Bywater has some of the best escargot I've ever had. It's non-traditional yet delicious.

Vincent's Italian on St. Charles Uptown is fantastic. It's sort of Italian-Creole fusion.

There's a Mediterranean place that's won a bunch of awards, but I've never been. There are a couple of other places I haven't been as well.

Places that I consider to be just alright but not all that are Antonines (though they've got original Rockefellar, so it's a cultural experience), Court of Three Sisters, Cafe Amelie, Luke, Commander's Palace (but perhaps worth it for the atmosphere), Red Fish Grill, Ruby Slipper, Joey K's, Galatoires, and Cafe Du Monde (but you have to go if you've never been"
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Mike W

+1

To spend more time at the WWII museum is the only reason I will go back to NOLA...

Surprisingly, there is a group of world renowned experts in a rare form of cancer in the oschner hospital just north of the airport...don’t ask how I know. That’s the only reason I will go back
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 08:23 PM

Ruby Slipper for breakfast - they have really good grits, and awesome waffles.
Bon Ton Cafe - there isn't anything on the menu that I have tried and not liked.
Saint Lawrence - more of a bar, but they have a pretty good selection for dinner, and not real pricey.

My son goes to school in NOLA, so we get there pretty often.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by MO
Dragos for Charbroiled oysters, bottom floor of Riverside Hilton.

[Linked Image]

PLUS 1 for DRAGOS! I had forgot about them but those oysters were AWESOME

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 08:48 PM

Now I want oysters.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 08:56 PM

Cat’s Meow if you want to pick up drunken skanks for dessert.

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Cat’s Meow if you want to pick up drunken skanks for desert

That place is fun.
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 09:03 PM

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just start peeing in your garage everyday between now and August. Let it soak in really good. Then for vacation, set up a cot in the garage, drink a whole bottle of everclear, and have somebody come in about day two and crack the back of your head with a ball peen hammer. The total New Orleans experience right at your doorstep.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_39
It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just start peeing in your garage everyday between now and August. Let it soak in really good. Then for vacation, set up a cot in the garage, drink a whole bottle of everclear, and have somebody come in about day two and crack the back of your head with a ball peen hammer. The total New Orleans experience right at your doorstep.

clap roflmao
Posted By: majekman

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Cat’s Meow if you want to pick up drunken skanks for desert

That place is fun.

I have heard that....

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 10:06 PM

They wash the streets down every morning.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 10:16 PM

Muffaletta at Central Market. Jackson square ??iirc.

Papalote

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Papalote

Papalote

Would.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Papalote

Papalote

Yep

Re: New Orleans - 01/21/20 11:04 PM

I like the way you think, and I am afraid you are dead on.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: New Orleans - 01/22/20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
They have really good Vietnamese food there.

I didn't know there was such a thing.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: New Orleans - 01/22/20 01:41 AM

There is a bar on the corner of Bourbon and something. Has an entrance on Bourbon and the cross street.
Don’t go there. No women in there. scared

Re: New Orleans - 01/22/20 02:47 AM

I prefer the muffuletta at the Napoleon House (assuming it’s still there). If you want the one from Central Grocery, it isn’t facing Jackson Square, but is down Decatur Street a bit past Cafe DuMonde. Central Grocery also has stuffed artichokes, if you like them (I sure do). They have a lot of Olive Oil, so if you tend toward constipation, a stuffed artichoke will do wonders for your...uuuuu.....you know.

If you like oysters, see if you can find some Oysters Mosca. Wonderful.
Posted By: jeepman3366

Re: New Orleans - 01/23/20 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys
Posted By: texasag93

Re: New Orleans - 01/23/20 11:25 PM

New Orleans is a city of a 1000 smells, most of them BAD!

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 12:00 AM

1st honeymoon with the 1st wife was in New Orleans...in June. When we got back to North Texas afterwards, a very talented musician friend of mine commented - "200 years of puke and piss". Much later I learned, through our equipment business, that the Quarter, at that time, maybe to this day, still had wooden water pipes strapped together with leather straps. barf

You either love New Orleans, or hate it. There's no in-between. I've always loved it. (I stay off Bourbon though.)
Posted By: don k

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 12:13 AM

I have gone there numerous times. 2 times for pleasure and the rest on business because I had to. Now since I am retired I have no need to HAVE to go there again. I have seen and been in outhouses that smell better. And seeing what so called humans look like on bourbon street has not helped. Go if you must. But I would not waist my money. If you want good eats go somewhere else.

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 12:25 AM

The armpit

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 12:39 AM

Antoine's. Again. It's worth all the other crap.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 12:52 AM

If you're flying in drive the little canal roads in Kenner. Look for litttle Morgan buildings selling seafood with full parking lots. Will likely be some of the best you ever had, and better than anything in New Orleans at 1/2 the price. If driving in, drive out towards the airport in Kenner and do the same.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by texasag93

only place where you can smell cigar smoke, bourbon whiskey, horse pizz, horse manure, vomit and sweaty stripper all within a 100 yard stretch.

I partied more than my share back in the day and in some pretty sketchy joints & NOLA was the worst. I can honestly say I don't ever care to go to New Orleans/French Quarter ever again.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by texasag93

only place where you can smell cigar smoke, bourbon whiskey, horse pizz, horse manure, vomit and sweaty stripper all within a 100 yard stretch.

I partied more than my share back in the day and in some pretty sketchy joints & NOLA was the worst. I can honestly say I don't ever care to go to New Orleans/French Quarter ever again.

Smell #420 is Weed cool2
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 06:05 AM

Sometimes I just p and throw up in my garage to pretend I’m in New Orleans
Posted By: Stub

Re: New Orleans - 01/24/20 12:33 PM

Been twice neither time to party. First time with the inlaw for two days eating & sight seeing which was good.
Second time with my family as a stop over on our way to Destin, the kids had a frickin blast people watching in the French Quarters.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Orleans - 01/25/20 09:54 PM

My youngest brother was in the Quarter this morning. He and his wife were walking down Royal Street in the morning. There was crime scene tape and a bunch of NOPD cars blocking the street. There had been a shooting earlier. A guy and a woman had been arguing/fighting, when a cop car showed up. The guy pulls his gun and misses the cop. The cop (she) shot the guy to death. I always considered Royal Street to be one of the safer ones.

The other brother was in the Quarter many years ago, with his boss. A minority kid rode up on his bicycle, pulled a gun, robbed them and shot my brother’s boss to death.

The brother mentioned first has an LTC, but doesn’t (to my knowledge) ever carry on his person. I need to show him my Bodyguard 380.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum