Texas Hunting Forum

Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon?

Posted By: PiePuncher

Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 03:23 AM

I love all kinds of Whiskeys and Bourbon.
My favorites are Oban, Macallan 18, lagavulin 16, Blantons and Balcones blue corn bourbon. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Oban 18.
Included a photo of some of my stash.

Attached picture 20191227_211424.jpg
Attached picture 20191227_211528.jpg
Attached picture 20191227_182823.jpg
Attached picture 20191109_140326.jpg
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 03:56 AM

I'm not a big fan of Scotch, or maybe I just haven't tasted many good ones?

I'm a fan of Buffalo Trace and Makers. On a non special occasion, those are probably what I'm reaching for. If I'm out, I'll try most anything.

I also like Jameson quite a bit. I know the Irish kind of thumb their nose at it, but I like it. In 2017 I went to the distillery and did a bottle your own thing and brought home a bottle of cask strength black barrel that is really good to me.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 04:11 AM

Following.

I don't drink enough to know what's "good"

I like Crown, 40 Creek and Jack Daniels.

I'd like to try Blanton's and Bookers.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 04:14 AM

Gimme some Buffalo Trace and Garrison Bro’s.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 04:15 AM

Booker’s by a fair margin and now that there’s a Specs in my path to work I can get it for $66 instead of the $89-99 that it has been selling for when you can find it.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 04:49 AM

Nice line up PiePuncher
I see a few that are hard to find.
I acquired some 1792, Bottled in Bond recently, good stuff
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 05:17 AM

I'll qualify my response with the acknowledgement that my palette isn't terribly refined and I haven't tried near as many as some.

TX
Gentleman Jack
Jacob Weldon
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 05:52 AM

McKenna 10
EH Taylor
Blanton
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig
Posted By: JCO

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 06:10 AM

Garrison Brothers
Woodford Reserve
Stranahan’s
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 06:40 AM

291 Rye
Posted By: Fatdaddy

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 10:10 AM

Eagle Rare
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 12:02 PM

Cannot find Blanton anywhere. Now I am on Basil Hayden. Love it. Headed to KY for New Years.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 12:11 PM

Noah’s Mill is by far the best whiskey I’ve ever had.

There’s a new “inexpensive” whiskey called redneck riviera, it’s pretty good for what it is.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 12:43 PM

Weller
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 01:03 PM

Old Crow

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 01:13 PM

Those are all excellent brother in law. I have many bottles of each of those. Heaven hill and buffalo trace are great distilleries.
Keep your eyes open for the elija craig barrel proof. Its top notch but tough to find

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 01:16 PM

Hudbone, in order to find blantons, you need to introduce yourself to the owner or manager of the liquor store and tell them you are interested in Blantons. Big chains are not the answer when looking for the hard to get stuff.
All my weller 12, blantons, stagg and yamazaki has come from small stores
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 01:22 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/If-by-whiskey

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 03:44 PM

Tullamore Dew (Irish whiskey).

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/If-by-whiskey

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

Worst response ever

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 07:57 PM

Who asked you how you feel about whiskey?

I agree, worst response possible to the original question. Actually doesn't even come close to answering or giving an opinion to the original question
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 08:09 PM

He’s just quoting Wikipedia. Bills an elderly widower, cut him a break. He’s in his 80s.

Piepuncher. Your post count is 666, might wanna get another post in real quick.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 08:55 PM

There are whiskys I love, that I'm no longer willing to pay the price for like Macallen 21, it was $50 in the early 90's now $600. I recently had Linkwood 15 which was very good. I tend to keep my spending on whisky under $100 a bottle.
Posted By: glens

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 08:57 PM

Many moons ago in Lakeway tx. Mister A, My Elderly Neighbor, A Retired Sun Oil Executive turned me on to Makers Mark. He would catch me doing laps on my lawnmower and bring me a glass full over ice. After a few laps I would start mowing the flower beds. Good stuff.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 09:11 PM

Certainly no aficionado but every now and then I enjoy some W.L Weller, for a cheap date Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Reserve ($22.49 for a 1.75 L).
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 09:19 PM

Posted By: LuckyDucker_TTU

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Cannot find Blanton anywhere. Now I am on Basil Hayden. Love it. Headed to KY for New Years.

Finding Blantons isn’t that hard, finding it, as well as other allocated liquors, at a fair price is what’s hard. I know several stores that have a bottle or two in stock right now but they’re asking well over $100 per bottle. They can keep em. I’ve purchased five bottles in the last three months, two of them yesterday, all for $56.99 plus tax. Unless you’re on a first name basis with an owner or store manager and are in there making weekly purchases, simply telling them you’re interested isn’t gonna help. They get dozens of guys a day they’ve never seen before doing the same thing. Most will flatter you and say they’ll help you out. Others will flat out laugh at you and some will straight up call you out for not being a regular. I prefer the stores that are first come first serve. That’s were all my purchases have been made. .
Posted By: JCB

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 09:27 PM

Just give me a big ole bottle of Evan Williams and I'm happy. I don't drink it though, I cook with it.
Posted By: bjh

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 09:35 PM

40 + yrs. drinking Wellers . Not even looking for something else. As George Jones sang , (Once you have had the best) scared
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 09:35 PM

Anybody else's that is free is fine with me.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 09:40 PM

Evan Williams Black Label
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 10:25 PM

"Whisky"? Longrow Single Malt

'Merican "Whiskey"? Currently, Chestnut Farms. A good Kentucky Bourbon; recommended at Total Wine when I asked about the BS going on with Blanton's.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 11:18 PM

BJH, you tried the Weller 12 yet? [Linked Image]
It can be tough to find. They usually limit me to two bottles.
The regular weller reserve is excellent, especially for the price.
Every whiskey I have seen posted so far are gtg

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/28/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by PiePuncher

Good stuff right there. Looks like you know someone.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 12:00 AM

This cannot be real.....

https://www.discountwine.online/search.php?search_query=Pappy

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 12:03 AM

Looks fake

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by LuckyDucker_TTU

Finding Blantons isn’t that hard, finding it, as well as other allocated liquors, at a fair price is what’s hard. I know several stores that have a bottle or two in stock right now but they’re asking well over $100 per bottle. They can keep em. I’ve purchased five bottles in the last three months, two of them yesterday, all for $56.99 plus tax. Unless you’re on a first name basis with an owner or store manager and are in there making weekly purchases, simply telling them you’re interested isn’t gonna help. They get dozens of guys a day they’ve never seen before doing the same thing. Most will flatter you and say they’ll help you out. Others will flat out laugh at you and some will straight up call you out for not being a regular. I prefer the stores that are first come first serve. That’s were all my purchases have been made. .

The problem is that most of the really good stuff never hits the floor. Our local liquor stores will admit openly that the good stuff will go home with them. By the time it makes it past the distributor, dealer and local store, you need inside help.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by PiePuncher

I think the Antique is best. Sorry but the Special Reserve needs Sprite or something to help. I generally pass on it.
Blantons is dang good but not worth the crazy fame and glory that it gets. I know a guy that has 91 bottles of Blantons, I wouldn't trade a bottle of 1792 Bottled in Bond for one.
There are plenty of good $40-$50 bourbons on the shelf that you can get get anytime.
[Linked Image]

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 01:01 AM

I will be buying more Elijah Craig for a Dailey drinker
Posted By: hawk

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 01:17 AM

George Dickel No. 12
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 01:17 AM

Old Forester 1920 and Maker's Mark Cask Strength are two of my favorite, easy to find. I've had all the Pappy's (extremely overhyped in my opinion), bourbon has been riding a crazy hype train for a while now. There are guys paying $250-$300 for 1.75l bottles of Weller 12, which retails for $43. The best I've ever had was William Larue Weller from 2015. I paid $40 for a 2oz pour at a bar because I gave up trying to find a bottle at retail and that was when I was in the bourbon chasing game.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by LuckyDucker_TTU

The problem is that most of the really good stuff never hits the floor. Our local liquor stores will admit openly that the good stuff will go home with them. By the time it makes it past the distributor, dealer and local store, you need inside help.

Exactly, supply and demand.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 02:20 AM

Hard to pick just one “favorite.” My palate and cravings are constantly changing. Some days I really want a Scotch, whereas other days I prefer a good bourbon or rye. If I had to pick a current favorite daily drinker, I would say Old Forrester Rye or for a bourbon, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, but I enjoy all of these I currently have on the shelf.
[Linked Image]

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 02:51 AM

I like it

I was not impressed with the Hancocks

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 03:43 AM

My favorite Irish Whiskey is RedBreast Cask and Redbreast 15
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 09:47 AM

Makers
Knob creek
Weller
Posted By: bjh

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 12:14 PM

If they sell it i have tasted it!!!!! lol35
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by NDN98
Hard to pick just one “favorite.” My palate and cravings are constantly changing. Some days I really want a Scotch, whereas other days I prefer a good bourbon or rye. If I had to pick a current favorite daily drinker, I would say Old Forrester Rye or for a bourbon, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, but I enjoy all of these I currently have on the shelf.
[Linked Image]

drink7 Looks like thar b a few ya likes more dan d rest...hik...
rofl i cull the Canadian Windser & LTD... like with beer. i goes for quanaty not quality, 2cents ya just rent it...
flag

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 06:31 PM

I hate to post pics from the kill room but did I mention Lone Elm is a fast up and comer? Although it’s wheated and the Booker’s is corn it compares very nicely. Check it out if you can find it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
I hate to post pics from the kill room but did I mention Lone Elm is a fast up and comer? Although it’s wheated and the Booker’s is corn it compares very nicely. Check it out if you can find it.

[Linked Image]

Lone elm is solid. I enjoy it a lot and I usually don't like Texas whiskeys/bourbons.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
I like it

I like it, but its a little thin on the finish and there are better bourbons out there that are more readily available. I wish it was 10-20 proof points higher and not watered down as much.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by NDN98
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
I like it

I like it, but its a little thin on the finish and there are better bourbons out there that are more readily available. I wish it was 10-20 proof points higher and not watered down as much.

I wish more whiskey was available cask strength so that you can dilute it to your taste. Once it's diluted you can't go backwards.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/29/19 11:00 PM

Anybody tried any of the Balcones options? Picked up a bottle of Four Roses and not really impressed. Like Elijah Craig much better.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Drop Tine
Anybody tried any of the Balcones options? Picked up a bottle of Four Roses and not really impressed. Like Elijah Craig much better.

Gotta watch four roses. They have I think 10 recipes and can be very different.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 12:25 AM

Balcones is pretty solid
Posted By: cephus

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by jhenderson
Balcones is pretty solid

Balcones Rye + Pot Still Bourbon have been my two as of late.

got some Jefferson Ocean to try with some friends for NYE

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 03:46 AM

Balcones is solid and somewhat local. I like all the high proofs from balcones and love the Blue Corn Bourbon
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 03:53 AM

Dont drink much any more, but TX would be my choice
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 01:33 PM

I like pretty much all the single barrels I have tried. Blanton's is my favorite but so hard to find.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 02:42 PM

Garrison Brothers
Posted By: MBTECH85

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 06:54 PM

[Linked Image]

These are my two favorites. Pre-fire Elijah Craig 18 year and George T. Stagg.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MBTECH85
[Linked Image]

GTS is outstanding, but I only average getting a bottle about every 2-3 years now. It gets snatched up quick when released or all goes in lotteries around here.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/30/19 11:17 PM

I’ve never been a collector. If I buy a bottle it usually gets finished the first night or sits in the cabinet for months. Right now that bottle is Makers Mark. I’m a fan.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/31/19 01:58 AM

I quit drinking over 40 years ago so I really have no idea what's good and what isn't anymore. I'm watching this thread though since my youngest son is getting married on the 22nd of February and I'll have a drink of some kind after their wedding.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/31/19 02:15 AM

Yukon Jack

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 12/31/19 12:48 PM

Scored me a bottle of Makers Mark RC6 yesterday, a bottle of McKenna 10 and a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof. Had a buddy bring them back from the bourbon trail.
This is the first time I have seen the Rc6 in person. I believe there was only 255 barrels made of the rc6

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by MBTECH85
[Linked Image]

Both excellent pours, a little hard to get these days.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 08:52 PM

I've had the pot still and baby blue, I wasn't really impressed with them.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
If I buy a bottle it usually gets finished the first night

I used to be like that, but I managed to get some control over that. I am not collecting now, I just have a nice selection like a store in the house.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 09:03 PM

Elmer T Lee
Blantons SFTB
Weller 12. In that order.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Old Crow

My dad used to tell the story that his granddad kept a bottle of Old Crow above the kitchen sink, and one below the sink. Every morning he would take a juice glass sized drink from the bottle above the sink. When it was empty, he would rotate the bottle from below the sink to above the sink. He would then call MY granddad to bring him another bottle.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 09:57 PM

Not a hard liquor guy myself, but - gasp - I'll have a shot of Fireball every Christmas in remembrance of Mom. She would have an ounce before bedtime while she was in pain from the cancer.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stevarino
Elmer T Lee
Blantons SFTB
Weller 12. In that order.

Funny how tastes vary, I love Mash bill #1 from Buffalo Trace, Weller etc, but Mash Bill #2 Blanton's, Elmer T Lee etc I've never been a fan of. A buddy brought me back two SFTB's from London, didn't care for them. I've only had a taste from a friends bottle of a store pick Blanton's out of Paducah, KY that blew my socks off. I've had multiple ETL's and just stopped buying them because I just don't feel like they have a lot of flavor.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/06/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jrfan
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Old Crow

My dad used to tell the story that his granddad kept a bottle of Old Crow above the kitchen sink, and one below the sink. Every morning he would take a juice glass sized drink from the bottle above the sink. When it was empty, he would rotate the bottle from below the sink to above the sink. He would then call MY granddad to bring him another bottle.

An old man and his wife my dad worked for years ago attributed their longevity to not being drinkers, however every morning for 70+ years they would take a shot of Wild Turkey that's the only alcohol they ever drank, one shot every single day. They both lived to be 90+
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 04:23 PM

I guess I was too busy drinking whiskey over the holidays and missed this thread. I've gone further down the whiskey rabbit hole than I ever thought I would; currently sitting at 90 bottles (includes duplicates of ones I like) of various brown waters. It's funny that the majority of the "allocated" bottles now are bottles that WERE really good at their original price point; however, at the marked up prices they no longer shine. It's funny to see a guy come into the liquor store and beg the clerk to sell him the blanton's for $150 and walk right past the EH Taylor small batch on the shelf for $45. Or the guy willing to pay $200 for a bottle of Weller 12 (a $30 bottle at retail) when a $40 bottle of Four Roses single barrel is exponentially better. It's also funny to see the guys who buy them as investments with no intention of drinking them. For anyone who only buys into the Buffalo Trace hype; do yourself a favor and branch out. There's a lot of good whiskeys out there that you can find on the shelves every day that are just as good if not better. To that end; here are my current top five every day drinkers in no particular order:

-Hudson Whiskey Baby Oak
-Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye
-Michter's (Rye, Bourbon, Sour Mash or American)
-Elijah Craig Small Batch
-Woodford Reserve Double Oak

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint
For anyone who only buys into the Buffalo Trace hype; do yourself a favor and branch out.

I never thought it was a good choice, to me it's on the level of crown.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 04:33 PM

Went to Kentucky over New year's. Got introduced to lots. Especially liked Taylors. Came home with a bottle of that and two bottles of Blantons. On cloud nine here.

In these here parts, the hills of Central Tx, we used to have class of lightly drinking square heads who drank eye openers each morning. Old Moe, always drank two. Said he had two eyes. Many of them lived quite productive, long & successful lives.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 04:51 PM

Booker's
Knobb Creek
Noah's Mill
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 06:29 PM

My regular around the house are Makers Mark.

Don't care for rye whiskeys nor scotch. When I drink scotch around the house it's Balvenie 12yr.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
For anyone who only buys into the Buffalo Trace hype; do yourself a favor and branch out.

fair - I will say Weller 12 at $30 is a good drinker, Weller Antique 107 at $45 is one of my favorites (not a daily drinker since it's hard to find), Elmer T Lee at $40 or $50 is solid, Rip Van Winkle at $80 is great. Once you add the market premium this all goes out the door. There are much better whiskeys in the price points you find them for now.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 07:14 PM

Went to Kentucky over New year's. Got introduced to lots. Especially liked Taylors. Came home with a bottle of that and two bottles of Blantons. On cloud nine here.

In these here parts, the hills of Central Tx, we used to have class of lightly drinking square heads who drank eye openers each morning. Old Moe, always drank two. Said he had two eyes. Many of them lived quite productive, long & successful lives.

as much as I love whiskey you won't see me drinking it to wake up roflmao

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob

Don't care for rye whiskeys nor scotch. When I drink scotch around the house it's Balvenie 12yr.

Try High West Rendezvous Rye or the Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye and see if you like either of those - I'm not typically rye guy either but I'll drink the snot out of both of those
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gangly
Booker's
Knobb Creek
Noah's Mill

Noah’s Mill is great!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob

Try High West Rendezvous Rye or the Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye and see if you like either of those - I'm not typically rye guy either but I'll drink the snot out of both of those

same here on the Balvenie - "I don't often drink scotch but when I do...."

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/08/20 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Originally Posted by Gangly
Booker's
Knobb Creek
Noah's Mill

Noah’s Mill is great!

Oh I don’t know who you are but you’re after my heart.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 01:24 AM

fair - I will say Weller 12 at $30 is a good drinker, Weller Antique 107 at $45 is one of my favorites (not a daily drinker since it's hard to find), Elmer T Lee at $40 or $50 is solid, Rip Van Winkle at $80 is great. Once you add the market premium this all goes out the door. There are much better whiskeys in the price points you find them for now.

I know when someone says "it is a great mixer" everyone thinks it is terrible otherwise. But Buffalo Trace makes a great mixed drink. If you can ever get a "Store PIck" Buffalo Trace, they are worth grabbing.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher

I know when someone says "it is a great mixer" everyone thinks it is terrible otherwise. But Buffalo Trace makes a great mixed drink. If you can ever get a "Store PIck" Buffalo Trace, they are worth grabbing.

I prefer my whiskey/bourbon mixed with nothing but air, on the rocks from time to time.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 01:51 AM

I picked up some of ex Dallas Stars Goalie Ed Belfour’s Pecan finished and have been pleasantly surprised.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/tommy-bahama-bourbon-ed-belfour-whiskey-whisky/
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 02:01 AM

I am a man with simple tastes: Bulleit Bourbon, served neat.
Posted By: frognot

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 01:43 PM

Favorite is Elmer T. Lee
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 03:14 PM

this seems like a drunk one upper thread

i only drink Pappy Van Winkle just cant decide which of my 5 bottles to open next confused2

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 03:20 PM

Speaking of Pappy a store I know got in two bottles a couple of weeks ago. It was never put for sale. The owner kept them. I think this generally the case.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 03:36 PM

Speaking of Pappy a store I know got in two bottles a couple of weeks ago. It was never put for sale. The owner kept them. I think this generally the case.

yep, Thats what the Goody Goody guy tells me. You can get on a "list" but I doubt anyone ever gets any ...

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

yep, Thats what the Goody Goody guy tells me. You can get on a "list" but I doubt anyone ever gets any ...

I put in for the draws through Goody Goody, a buddy of mine actually won again through the draw this year. He has won few bottles of Pappy over the years through it.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 07:10 PM

Rebeca Creek and Garrison Brothers. If none have you have ever gone to Garrisons place and gone through the bottling process it’s an awesome experience.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 08:12 PM

A friend told me about this, said it was so smooth, so easy to get muyloco on.

[Linked Image]

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Opening Day
Garrisons place and gone through the bottling process it’s an awesome experience.

Yes their tour is a pretty good one, plus it's nice to drink a couple beers while doing so.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
A friend told me about this, said it was so smooth, so easy to get muyloco on.

[Linked Image]

barf barf bolt barf
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 09:25 PM

My choice used to be Wild Turkey Rare Breed, but I had to give up the dark stuff. taz
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/09/20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marc K

I poured that out.

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/10/20 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Marc K

I poured that out.

I expected you to commitment on that one. I think last time you gave it a barf
The Bulliet Ten Year is worth giving them another try.
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: Your Favorite Whiskey/Bourbon? - 01/10/20 01:58 PM

Makers Mark and Bulliet Rye are the two I reach for the most. I also have but have yet to try Tullamore Dew and Glenmorangie 10yr. I am on the lookout for the Knob Creek 12yr and this thread has got me interested in Booker's and Noah's Mill.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum