Texas Hunting Forum

Something to worry about?

Posted By: LarryCopper

Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 04:30 PM

A couple of weeks ago the rancher at our lease planted winter wheat for his cattle. It's a good thing, deer hit it hard. Last weekend while opening the gate I noticed something odd. The last 3 or 4 links of chain were held together by tightly bound bailing wire. It is long enough to lock without those links. So I gotta wonder... did the ranch hand(s) forget their key and cut the chain to get in to plant? Or, did they plan on coming back when they don't have the key to their lock for some hunting?

confused2

We will be contacting the land owners either way.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 04:37 PM

Most folks that live & work in rural areas see more deer (basically all game) in a normal week than a hunter that comes out only twice per month off season and around 3 days a week during season see's in a year.
So unless you're talking about dishonest people and having something really outstanding on your lease I doubt the folks working for the LO care or give hunting a place they don't have permission to, much thought.

A picture like that would be concerning to me, I have no clue about the baling wire, hopefully the LO does, I'm sure he'll appreciate your noticing & the heads up.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 05:03 PM

Good wire job properly twisted clockwise, I'm going with forgot key.
Posted By: hookem48

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 05:15 PM

I say someone forgot a key.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 05:19 PM

Prolly forgot the key.
Put a new chain and lock if it worries you.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 06:26 PM

To me, that wire looks like it has been there for a little while.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Country01

X2
Posted By: Greg

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 07:07 PM

I forgot the key one time and wasn’t about to drive 3.5 hours back home. Not when tractor supply was only 10 min down the road. I bought some cutters and a new lock to work as a link to hold it all back together. I called the land owner, told him what an idiot I was and that I would fix it. He laughed and was fine with it. The next trip back I cleaned it all up with a new heavier chain and only his lock. Stuff happens... good of you to say something though.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 07:18 PM

Good to notice. Really no idea on cause. Hiding in plain site can be very effective.
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 08:21 PM

My vote was there is a logical (not dishonest or deceitful) reason for it. Regardless keep us posted on what you find out.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher

X2

X3
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 09:45 PM

Seen that many times over the years. Never once did it turn out to be poachers.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher

X2

X3
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Something to worry about? - 10/11/19 10:54 PM

Probably a good, not devious reason for it, but I would still check with the LO just to be sure. I'm sure he will appreciate your diligence.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum