Texas Hunting Forum

Any Body Have a Drone?

Posted By: jcneef

Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 07:59 PM

Looking to getting into Aerial Photography. Anybody that has any experience with drones have any suggestions? I would like to keep whole package less than $1,000 thanks guys
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 08:32 PM

Well, first you need to learn how to spell "Aerial". smile EVERYONE wants to start by doing the same thing, as anyone with a drone thinks they've become a photographer at the same time. You won't do much real commercial work with gear you buy for under $1,000. The cameras you fly are more important than the drone that carries them. If you're going to do it commercially you need to get your FAA Part 107 license. You'll need to learn how to do digital photo/video enhancement via one of the many software packages out there. Pick a niche, read and practice, then put yourself out there. If you're really dedicated to get started, you might be able to make a few $ with companies like Dronebase and the like. You'll find lots of folks wanting/trying to do the same thing.

Good luck!

Charlie

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 08:55 PM

Charlie sorry for the misspelling... I will make sure to review post before posting next time....

Like the post states, I am looking to "get into" the hobby. I am not looking to make a career out of it. I just wanted some opinions from people who have drones and what they would recommend for less than $1000.

I am assuming from your detailed post you do "aerial" photography?
Posted By: Greg

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 09:19 PM

My best friend has one and it is amazing!!! Just texted him and he said it was a DJI Spark. Takes hi def videos and you can set it up to do all sorts of cool things. It can follow you around and video you from a certain height. He did this up at our friends farm while riding a 4 wheeler... it followed him everywhere and videoed from about 200’ up. I’m not sure how many miles it will go, but it really gets out there.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 09:21 PM

I have a few hanging on the wall wink
popcorn
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 09:38 PM

i've heard talk up at the rc flying field that dji mavic are good ones

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 09:48 PM

From everything I've read it looks like the DJI is the best bang for the buck!
Posted By: leswad

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 10:33 PM

DJI for me. Camera is not too shabby

[Linked Image]
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 10:37 PM

all i heard was they're good ones and the cameras on them are top notch, i have no idea what they cost. i've only flown a drone a couple times but i do like the aspect of drone racing. i like f1, q500 and 12th scale combat planes myself, i have the need for speed. lol
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by leswad
DJI for me. Camera is not too shabby

[Linked Image]

up cool picture.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/26/19 11:26 PM

If I'm correct, DJI is the best bang for buck, and to buy at best buy and get their warranty in case something happens. Best buys warranty is pretty legit if you ask me.

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by jcneef
I am looking to "get into" the hobby.

Sorry, I thought you meant business... DJI has just about put everyone else out of business. Mavic Pro is a good first drone. You can get one with several batteries and various accessories under $1K and best part is it all fits in a small backpack. Watch Craigslist or FB Marketplace, lots of people buy them and then rarely use them and you can save a couple $100. Do read up on the operational rules, even as a hobbyist flyer. The current models have 4K cameras.

Check with your home insurance provider, many times you can cover the drone as part of your personal items policy.

Charlie
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 02:16 AM

Got one a couple years ago. Never took it out of the box.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 02:21 AM

I'm on my 3rd drone. If I were buying one today, it would be this one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...Lm_jv5AIVysDACh0iFg3aEAYYBSABEgLzdPD_BwE
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 02:26 AM

Have an older DJI Phantom and a Parrot Bebop2 with VR.
I Fly the Parrot all the time. VR is awesome and the only way to fly. up

Both companies have good support and parts availability.
Many of the cheaper companies have neither.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 03:09 AM

I have one that I bought almost a year ago....still in the box.... bang

Really wish I could be more help/…..
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 01:46 PM

Check Costco
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 01:56 PM

Bought one recently for my company, and the China tariffs have held up shipment. Maybe since you are looking more for a recreational model, they will have them on the shelf.

Think you need a FAA license even if you are just a hobbyist.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by goosebuster

Now, if a person buys a new drone to fly for fun, they no longer have to register that aircraft with the FAA. But if flying for commercial purposes, drone buyers still need to register. ... Since first opening the FAA's registration system in December 2015, more than 820,000 people have registered to fly drones.

https://www.vox.com/2017/5/19/15663436/us-drone-registration-rules-faa
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 03:44 PM

If you're around DFW, I heard on the radio, WBAP I'm pretty sure, there is a "Make money with drones" conference this weekend somewhere in the metorplex.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Originally Posted by goosebuster

Now, if a person buys a new drone to fly for fun, they no longer have to register that aircraft with the FAA. But if flying for commercial purposes, drone buyers still need to register. ... Since first opening the FAA's registration system in December 2015, more than 820,000 people have registered to fly drones.

https://www.vox.com/2017/5/19/15663436/us-drone-registration-rules-faa

Current regulations require registration if you fly outside and it weighs more that .55 pounds.
https://www.droneregistration.com/
You must register your drone with the FAA if:
Your drone weighs more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams)
You are flying your drone in the United States of America
You are flying your drone outside (indoor airspace is unregulated)

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleB20
If you're around DFW, I heard on the radio, WBAP I'm pretty sure, there is a "Make money with drones" conference this weekend somewhere in the metorplex.

The organizer makes money getting people to sign up and buy their classes etc... no different than the "get rich flipping houses" seminars.

Originally Posted by pegasaurus

Current regulations require registration if you fly outside and it weighs more that .55 pounds.
https://www.droneregistration.com/
You must register your drone with the FAA if:
Your drone weighs more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams)
You are flying your drone in the United States of America
You are flying your drone outside (indoor airspace is unregulated)

Truth

... and do this. https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/b4ufly/

Charlie
Posted By: Greg

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

no different than the "get rich flipping houses" seminars.

Charlie

Haha...Yeah don’t do those... I’ve seen a lot of guys get talked out of their money going to those

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 09/27/19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Greg
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

no different than the "get rich flipping houses" seminars.

Charlie

Haha...Yeah don’t do those... I’ve seen a lot of guys get talked out of their money going to those

I was at a hotel somewhere for a business function where our thing was later in the day... there was one of these house flipping/tax lien sales/foreclosure/buy with someone else's money etc seminars going on and I'd stop every so often and listen to a few minutes. To net the story... they break and everyone heads outside, gets on their cellphones and is calling their credit card provider and getting cash advances. I was beyond shocked to see them ALL doing this. Many a fool and his money were ultimately separated that day.

Charlie
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 12/26/19 05:37 PM

Charlie, I also went to one of those "get rich quick" seminars. It was free but they were really selling the classes on how to do it. since I already had, and still have, rental property; I spotted the real story in a hurry.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 12/26/19 05:39 PM

I bought one last year after Christmas....it’s still in the box somewhere....

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 12/26/19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I bought one last year after Christmas....it’s still in the box somewhere....

That was point to the OP in the other thread... I think you’re a pretty typical drone purchaser. RC planes were more fun, drones are more useful.

Charlie
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 12/26/19 11:58 PM

I almost had one last year, but I couldn't get the Win. 62A loaded fast enough! roflmao

(That SOB didn't get what he wanted...but I digress.)
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 12/27/19 03:50 AM

Whatever you buy, check the terms and conditions on the software. The DOD has placed severe restrictions on any DJI products and how the data captured is used. The flow of information from the software to China is a concern to the US, and several UAS companies we work with will not put the applications on any device that connects to the internet.
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: Any Body Have a Drone? - 12/27/19 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by jcneef
Looking to getting into Aerial Photography. Anybody that has any experience with drones have any suggestions? I would like to keep whole package less than $1,000 thanks guys

I've been doing aerial photography long before drones came into play. If you buy a DJI new, and if you don’t have a lot of drone or flight experience, consider getting the insurance. Another path is to buy preowned on Craigslist. In the DFW area you can often find a really good deal as all the fanboys and bloggers sell nearly new drones as soon as the new model comes out. Just make sure it comes with everything and make the person do a test flight for you.

If you’re buying to take photos or videos, then besides learning how to fly safely, make sure you understand the fundamentals of photography and editing. A drone is a fantastic platform that allows you to compose a shot or capture video that otherwise would be nearly impossible but you still have to edit the video or images to achieve the results you want.

Also, avoid the blade720 and other similar drone scams. Nearly all of the ads currently online that are not DJI are scams. Couple of recent shots...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blue Moon
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum