Texas Hunting Forum

(Bump Stocks)

Posted By: glens

(Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 08:48 PM

Don't have and have never wanted one but seen where a guy from Houston got popped with one. He was a mental case but they are getting him with the full auto, machine gun law. Big fine and time.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 08:52 PM

dunce

https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-man-first-to-be-indicted-for-bump-stock-possession-since-ban
Posted By: Grizz

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 09:18 PM

It sounds like the bump stock is not his only problem.
I still believe the bump stock ban, as enacted, is unconstitutional.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 09:26 PM

224 rounds of 9mm, lol. To me he's low on 9mm.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 09:40 PM

Unless you are on forums like the THF, how would a person know they went from legal to illegal? News reports? I saw it on the local news, they mentioned the place at Moran that manufactured them, but really not much else was said. One newscast on one day, not much else.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 10:00 PM

Wonder what the fine for having that bump stock is going to run him, as if he would have the means to pay.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Wonder what the fine for having that bump stock is going to run him, as if he would have the means to pay.

Not going to be a fine, it will be jail time for an unregistered machine gun.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Grizz

I agree. I have no use for one, don't like shooting rifles.
But somebody might need one to protect their property someday and that's what Thomas Jefferson was all about.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 10:54 PM

It is. Should’ve never been done via executive order. No compensation or grandfathering. And they changed the definition of machine gun based on a piece of plastic.

Never shot one, never would, but it’s the principle.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

It is. Should’ve never been done via executive order. No compensation or grandfathering. And they changed the definition of machine gun based on a piece of plastic.

These were approved by the ATF, no legislative action was ever taken to approve or disapprove them That did give Trump the right to pull those rulings by the ATF. The same as it was for the Obama's administration that approved them.

I know the NRA also questioned their legality at least one time. . https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...on/nra-claim-obama-approved-bump-stocks/

"Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 11:32 PM

Yep. I don’t have one or ever had or wanted one but it’s freakin stupid as hell what Trump pulled on this.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/06/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher

These were approved by the ATF, no legislative action was ever taken to approve or disapprove them That did give Trump the right to pull those rulings by the ATF. The same as it was for the Obama's administration that approved them.

I know the NRA also questioned their legality at least one time. . https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...on/nra-claim-obama-approved-bump-stocks/

"Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

I ride with DC..
Posted By: hopalong

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Thundervee
Yep. I don’t have one or ever had or wanted one but it’s freakin stupid as hell what Trump pulled on this.

while I agree that he po'd a lot of people (me included), I will bet the alternative (congress) would have been a lot worse. Trump would have been in a tiny corner had congress passed any kind of gun law after the vegas shooting. he may or may not have stopped the gun grabbers that time.

I had one for novelty at the ranch, sold it about a week after the shooting. figured something would be done about them.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 12:16 AM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...names-of-10000-users-of-a-gun-scope-app/
Posted By: hopalong

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 12:21 AM

and how many of us on here own or have owned an atn scope?

I have the app on my phone now since I have the scope.

also have one from trijicon for our thermal camera on the defender.

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong

while I agree that he po'd a lot of people (me included), I will bet the alternative (congress) would have been a lot worse. Trump would have been in a tiny corner had congress passed any kind of gun law after the vegas shooting. he may or may not have stopped the gun grabbers that time.

I had one for novelty at the ranch, sold it about a week after the shooting. figured something would be done about them.

I think the alternative for bump stocks would have been business as usual. This is one time I don't believe what Trump did was a move to outsmart anyone. I think he just had a knee jerk reaction that had no basis in logic.
To be clear, my constitutional issue is not necessarily the application of the machine gun definition. That part is just absolutely asinine.
The constitutional part for me is creating contraband out of thin air with no compensation. People paid a lot of money for these things while the ATF publicly and in writing stated they were legal. Then, with the stroke of a pen they became illegal and those people were told "turn them in or become a criminal" and didn't get a dime of their money back. That's BS and Trump should be ashamed of himself for doing it.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 01:03 AM

I ride with Grizz,
Posted By: DannyB

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 02:07 AM

I think the alternative for bump stocks would have been business as usual. This is one time I don't believe what Trump did was a move to outsmart anyone. I think he just had a knee jerk reaction that had no basis in logic.
To be clear, my constitutional issue is not necessarily the application of the machine gun definition. That part is just absolutely asinine.
The constitutional part for me is creating contraband out of thin air with no compensation. People paid a lot of money for these things while the ATF publicly and in writing stated they were legal. Then, with the stroke of a pen they became illegal and those people were told "turn them in or become a criminal" and didn't get a dime of their money back. That's BS and Trump should be ashamed of himself for doing it.

Just think how you would feel if one of the radical antis won Presidency and told everyone to turn in their ARs, even for compensation? You know we really need to get these "weapons of war" off the street. I could see them paying pennies on the dollar for the AR.

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by DannyB

Just think how you would feel if one of the radical antis won Presidency and told everyone to turn in their ARs, even for compensation? I could see them paying pennies on the dollar for the AR.

I'm out on that too.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by DannyB

Just think how you would feel if one of the radical antis won Presidency and told everyone to turn in their ARs, even for compensation? You know we really need to get these "weapons of war" off the street. I could see them paying pennies on the dollar for the AR.

Beto already promised this.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 08:10 AM

Unless you are on forums like the THF, how would a person know they went from legal to illegal? News reports? I saw it on the local news, they mentioned the place at Moran that manufactured them, but really not much else was said. One newscast on one day, not much else.

Was actually watching Fox news today and one of the "news" people was talking about how things lose traction shortly after a tragedy. She said, "After Las Vegas Trump talked about raising age to buy guns and banning bump stocks, but nothing happened." People have no idea what laws are on the books.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 01:33 PM

The bulk of Americans have become low information voters thanks to the mainstream media. It is not an accident.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 01:47 PM

Agreed 100%.
I ride with Marc K
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: (Bump Stocks) - 09/07/19 01:56 PM

I didn’t say Trump doesn’t have the right to issue an executive order banning them - he does. That doesn’t mean it’s constitutional to do so and ban a previously-legal and approved piece of plastic without grandfathering or compensating current users.

It also doesn’t mean he has the constitutional authority to change the legal definition of machine gun.

I’m sure it will be tested in court.

Regardless, executive orders should be used sparingly and in emergencies. They have been abused.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum