Texas Hunting Forum

The Walmart lawsuits begin

Posted By: pegasaurus

The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 01:34 PM

'We need change:' El Paso mass shooting survivors file lawsuit against Walmart
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...file-lawsuit-against-walmart/2215523001/
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 01:47 PM

I seriously doubt the attorney is going to litigate against Walmart pro bono.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 01:47 PM

Can you copy and paste the article.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 01:49 PM

Why not. It’s the norm today.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Why not? Of course they will. Every Walmart should have a cop or armed security anyway carrying ARs.

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Can you copy and paste the article.

Not supposed to do that.
15. Do not copy and paste articles from other publications to this site. It is a COPYRIGHT VIOLATION to do so. If you want to reference an article on another web site, post a link.

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman

Why not? Of course they will. Every Walmart should have a cop or armed security anyway carrying ARs.

Not sure if this still the case but the Walmart in The Colony used to have a police substation inside.
I walked in and saw that and walked back out. If a store needs a police substation then I don’t need to be there.

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by pegasaurus

Not sure if this still the case but the Walmart in The Colony used to have a police substation inside.
I walked in and saw that and walked back out. If a store needs a police substation then I don’t need to be there.

True... Target got rid of them fake police trailers from what I have seen. Never had an issue there and we got some interesting folks nearby. But Walmart in a small town is just nasty. Mineola... holy cow. I shouldn't post pictures. roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 02:12 PM

Yeah and if a city has a police department I guess I don't need to be there either.

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 02:25 PM

True... Target got rid of them fake police trailers from what I have seen. Never had an issue there and we got some interesting folks nearby. But Walmart in a small town is just nasty. Mineola... holy cow. I shouldn't post pictures. roflmao

No need to post pictures. There is already a website dedicated to that called People of Walmart. scared
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 02:56 PM

This is going to get a little off the original thread (not that that never happens here).....
Back in the late '80s when I was working for Tom Thumb we were opening a new store at Coit and Spring Valley (it's now a Fiesta I think) the new store was in the SE corner and the old store was in the NW corner. There was a small DPD substation and community center down at the end of the strip center where the new store was being built and Tom Thumb sublet the community center for a while as an office to accept applications and do interviews.
If you know the area, there was A LOT of Section 8 apartments all around the area. Well lots of people kept coming in and asking about jobs and we would tell them to go over to the substation and fill out an application. You should have seen the looks on the faces after we said 'go over to the substation'. The wide eyed "WHHAAAAATT!?!?!?" was pretty common.
We also let them know we would drug test. Now DPD wasn't dumb, they took a couple local patrol officers and put them in plainclothes to work in the office to watch who was coming in. Several folks with outstanding warrants got picked up.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 03:00 PM

The thought has crossed my mind more than once that lawsuits and government red tape will lead to the eventual demise of gun ownership in the U.S. While guns and ammo might be available, their cost will be beyond the reach of the average American.

The elephant in the room at this point is that fact that mass shootings are sure to continue. Too much evil out there getting too much attention. Unfortunately, the dam that has been holding back the tide is eventually going to break. I've started thinking about how deep I need to dig that hole in the backyard.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 03:08 PM

That lawyers is about cellar deep in a cesspool, thinking that Walmart and every other business needs to furnish armed guards to protect their customers is ridiculous. The Walmart lawyers should be able to eat him alive.

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
That lawyers is about cellar deep in a cesspool, thinking that Walmart and every other business needs to furnish armed guards to protect their customers is ridiculous. The Walmart lawyers should be able to eat him alive.

It won't get anywhere I bet. But they will try. They seemed to forget some idiot drove 12 hours to do that when he had 100 Walmarts or any other grocer to choose from while on his way.

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
The thought has crossed my mind more than once that lawsuits and government red tape will lead to the eventual demise of gun ownership in the U.S. While guns and ammo might be available, their cost will be beyond the reach of the average American.

The elephant in the room at this point is that fact that mass shootings are sure to continue. Too much evil out there getting too much attention. Unfortunately, the dam that has been holding back the tide is eventually going to break. I've started thinking about how deep I need to dig that hole in the backyard.

That is exactly what is happening in the tobacco industry. They can’t get rid of smoking but they are darn sure trying to make it so expensive that people stop buying. It is going to happen to vaping as well.

The only difference is the Second Amendment to our Constitution. However, that does not protect ammo or the regulation of ammo.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 03:16 PM

I just do not understand where some people's thinking is these days. bang How could anyone in their right mind think that any of this is WalMart's fault?

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
I just do not understand where some people's thinking is these days. bang How could anyone in their right mind think that any of this is WalMart's fault?

It doesn’t have to be their fault.
Walmart will do what they can to keep their name out of the news on the lawsuits and will settle out of court.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

It doesn’t have to be their fault.
Walmart will do what they can to keep their name out of the news on the lawsuits and will settle out of court.

Yes, and that is part of what is wrong with the world today. People will sue, not because they are right and whomever they are suing is wrong, but just because they can get something out of it, and they know that it is often cheaper to settle.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 05:22 PM

I have entered public places of business with large signs of 30.06 and 30.07 and "No Firearms" signs all over the entrances to their building. I spoke with a manager and asked if they had armed security personnel. She of course said no. I commented back about how your business is purposefully un-arming lawful citizens with no way of protecting themselves and the business does not provide any security what so ever for it's customers. She understood my problem with a dislike of how I presented it. I informed her you are setting yourself up for huge liability and that this would be the last time I enter or do business with this establishment.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hunt Dog

This is going to get a little off the original thread (not that that never happens here).....
Back in the late '80s when I was working for Tom Thumb we were opening a new store at Coit and Spring Valley (it's now a Fiesta I think) the new store was in the SE corner and the old store was in the NW corner. There was a small DPD substation and community center down at the end of the strip center where the new store was being built and Tom Thumb sublet the community center for a while as an office to accept applications and do interviews.
If you know the area, there was A LOT of Section 8 apartments all around the area. Well lots of people kept coming in and asking about jobs and we would tell them to go over to the substation and fill out an application. You should have seen the looks on the faces after we said 'go over to the substation'. The wide eyed "WHHAAAAATT!?!?!?" was pretty common.
We also let them know we would drug test. Now DPD wasn't dumb, they took a couple local patrol officers and put them in plainclothes to work in the office to watch who was coming in. Several folks with outstanding warrants got picked up.

I was a night stocker at that store in 1984.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 06:39 PM

For one week after the El Paso shooting, the walmart in Texarkana had a police officer standing just inside the front door. You had to walk past him to get into the store. After a week, he was gone.
Posted By: Western

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 06:43 PM

Avenatti type lawyers are a dime a dozen, doubt this will get traction unless wm goes for civics or further bends under pressure.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I have entered public places of business with large signs of 30.06 and 30.07 and "No Firearms" signs all over the entrances to their building. I spoke with a manager and asked if they had armed security personnel. She of course said no. I commented back about how your business is purposefully un-arming lawful citizens with no way of protecting themselves and the business does not provide any security what so ever for it's customers. She understood my problem with a dislike of how I presented it. I informed her you are setting yourself up for huge liability and that this would be the last time I enter or do business with this establishment.

They are not obligating you to enter the store, how are they setting themselves up for anything?
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/05/19 06:44 PM

Maybe they should sue Wallyworld for selling food...the guy stopped there because he was hungry.
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: The Walmart lawsuits begin - 09/06/19 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy

They are not obligating you to enter the store, how are they setting themselves up for anything?

Exactly. The same argument could be said for those establishments that allow concealed and open carry.....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum