Texas Hunting Forum

AARP

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

AARP - 08/13/19 02:21 PM

My wife wants to join. I have no use for them. Your thoughts?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 02:41 PM

Pass. AARP All About Republican Plants.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 03:04 PM

They are an insurance company. You give them your personal information when you join and that allows them to market more efficiently to you.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 03:05 PM

No Thank You I don't like being reminded I'm getting old.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 03:15 PM

We have our Medicare supplements through AARP/United Healthcare and we have been very pleased with it. I've been hearing about the AARP "liberal agenda" and we're thinking about switching to the more conservative alternative AMAC but try as I might, I cant find an AMAC insurer who offers Supplement Plan "F" like we have. I'm a "middle of the road" conservative when it comes to politics and I suspect that AARP isn't as far to the left as you might imagine, nor is AMAC as far to the right as they claim to be. The truth is they're both out to squeeze as much money out of us as possible.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 03:37 PM

We like the magazine of both AARP and AMAC. The trash mail is out of sight.. Both need to stay out of politics, but both are major players in benefits for seniors. Anyone that thinks the NRA is a power player in Washington, hasn't seen either of the AARP or AMAC at work.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 04:32 PM

Use AARP for hotel discounts. Don't use any of their other services
Posted By: retfuz

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 04:34 PM

AMAC. Dropped AARP a couple of years ago. AARP supported Obama when he took billions from Medicare and gave it to Obama care/ Medicaid.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 04:54 PM

They are big supporters in the fight against gun rights... Just saying!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 05:36 PM

Not me.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 06:56 PM

Bad Liberals...not an option. Anti-gun Obama care pushers.
I noticed they are running conservative type ads lately trying to win back some folks who left.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 08:34 PM

And you cannot really find anything on their gun policies anymore. Only just repeated stuff on the internet. Or at least I cannot find AARP's official stance on their site.
Posted By: glens

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 08:40 PM

[quote=bill oxner]Pass. AARP All About Republican Plants.[/quote)

AARP is about as far left as you could be. Keep up!
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by texasag93
They are an insurance company.

I think they and AMAC are more like an insurance agent.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: AARP - 08/13/19 09:34 PM

realmad
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 01:33 AM

Mom has it and we use their car rental discounts when we take family vacations. They have 20 to 30 percent off through Avis and Budget AND you get to add a second driver for free...this isn't an issue at Budget for spouses, but for family members, it's a great thing. We get better discounts at hotels through our Farm Bureau membership and through my work than what AARP offers.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 03:32 AM

Just one more card to get 10-15% off at your next hotel, pfff, why not
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 04:45 AM

When you join you get to go on guided hunts, and big discounts on guns and other hunting gear!.........jk
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 09:11 AM

Nope. They supported Obamas "health" plan that stuck it to Seniors.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 07:08 PM

You need them if you want UHC for Medicare Supplement
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
My wife wants to join. I have no use for them. Your thoughts?

They are not your friend.........they are a marketing company.......nothing more.

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
Mom has it and we use their car rental discounts when we take family vacations. They have 20 to 30 percent off through Avis and Budget AND you get to add a second driver for free...this isn't an issue at Budget for spouses, but for family members, it's a great thing. We get better discounts at hotels through our Farm Bureau membership and through my work than what AARP offers.

They will give you the same discount if you are of age to be a member if you ask for it......

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We like the magazine of both AARP and AMAC. The trash mail is out of sight.. Both need to stay out of politics, but both are major players in benefits for seniors. Anyone that thinks the NRA is a power player in Washington, hasn't seen either of the AARP or AMAC at work.

I'm curious, in what way are they a power player in Washington?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

AARP spent $8 million plus on lobbying, the NRA spent $5 plus on lobbying, the AARP has 38 million members, the NRA around 5 million.
Posted By: leswad

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 09:12 PM

They were all about Obamacare. I will never support them.

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 09:23 PM

AARP spent $8 million plus on lobbying, the NRA spent $5 plus on lobbying, the AARP has 38 million members, the NRA around 5 million.

What have they accomplished for their members with the money they spend on lobbying? All I see is a large insurance and sales marketing organization sell lots of products to their members. I am 59 years old and haven't benefited in any way from AARP. What did I miss?
Posted By: Rustler

Re: AARP - 08/14/19 10:35 PM

What have they accomplished for their members with the money they spend on lobbying? All I see is a large insurance and sales marketing organization sell lots of products to their members. I am 59 years old and haven't benefited in any way from AARP. What did I miss?

What did you miss?

5 more junk e mails per day.
3 lbs of extra junk mail per week.
30 more robo calls per month.
$12 - $16 out of your wallet per year.

But, aarp appeals to a lot of folks because it becomes a one stop shop / web site for dang near everything ~ meaning a convenience some folks value.
© 2019 Texas Hunting Forum