Texas Hunting Forum

Any martial arts experts here?

Posted By: 68A

Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 01:48 AM

Have a 6 yr old that wants to get into karate. The only experience I have is from the military, which was more or less jiu jitsu. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a certain type that would be intuitive for a 6 yr old while also being beneficial and useful.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 01:52 AM

I train BJJ so I am biased

BJJ is where it’s at.

Line up 99 percent of karate black belts and our blue belts will whipe them all over the mats...seriously and they want no part of our purple or brown belts

Message me if you want more details, I know a few great bjj gyms in North Texas
Posted By: pug

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 02:31 AM

We lived in Brazil for 14 years and our kids grew up studying Brazilian ju jitsu. When we returned stateside both sons placed top three in various tournaments for age and weight, kick’n it and taking names. Our daughter applied her purple to combatives in the Army after commissioning and wiped out the unit down to the Staff Sgt. Had to call in one of the SFab to put her down, which resulted in a date, a proposal, and then a grandson.
clap

BJJ teaches discipline, endurance, and defensive martial arts without (generally) the eastern mysticism that is often part of the Asian martial arts schools.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 02:39 AM

Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 03:20 AM

Where’s T-Rex
Posted By: tcr2

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 03:49 AM

Saw about a eleven year old girl whose dad taught Brazilian ju jitsu demonstrate a few moves. Multi day pistol tactical course with some hands on weapon retention and takeaways. You don't want to tangle with anyone like that.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05
I train BJJ so I am biased

BJJ is where it’s at.

Line up 99 percent of karate black belts and our blue belts will whipe them all over the mats...seriously and they want no part of our purple or brown belts

Message me if you want more details, I know a few great bjj gyms in North Texas

I know of one that if he was still alive would more than hold his own, but then again he was dual black belt, third degree in ju jitsu and 8th degree in an Okinawan style of karate, trained in Okinawa.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 05:37 AM

Another fan of BJJ and also Aikido. Both great at using the attackers weight and size against them and then having a chance to get away. My daughter took one on one boxing lessons for about a year and she really enjoyed it. Just recently stopped and said she wants to try golf instead, so I think we’re gonna go chase that little white ball around. She’s about to be 14 and I really think she gained a lot of self confidence this past year.
Posted By: cannon88

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 12:05 PM

Another vote for BJJ
Posted By: huck18

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 01:41 PM

No expert, but trained BJJ for years as well as boxing and MMA.

I would vote for BJJ, and good old fashion American wrestling. If you get your kid in a good BJJ school there will probably be a good wrestling coach there as well.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 01:41 PM

BJJ first, Aikido second. IMHO

95+ % of fights go to the ground
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 02:26 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tcr2

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 03:04 PM

quote=bucksnbass357]BJJ first, Aikido second. IMHO

95+ % of fights go to the ground[/quote]

This right here.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 03:05 PM

BJJ, Aikido & Krav Maga.

Krav Maga teaches you how to literally kill someone in a fight, not roll around w/them. When it boils down to life or death (which I consider every fight to be & why I avoid physical confrontation like the plague) Krav Maga. It combines all of the above & adds tactics of grabbing the nearest 'weapon' (lamp, knife, fan, bottle, pole, whatever) & using it to end your opponent.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
Have a 6 yr old that wants to get into karate. The only experience I have is from the military, which was more or less jiu jitsu. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a certain type that would be intuitive for a 6 yr old while also being beneficial and useful.

You might want to ask your six year old why karate they just might have a friend that's started. If that's true then keeping them together might be a good thing.
Posted By: cannon88

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 03:22 PM

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by cannon88

They train w/ Bas Rutten. He's a badazz MMA fighter. King of the liver punch!
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by LFD2037
Krav Maga. It combines all of the above & adds tactics of grabbing the nearest 'weapon' (lamp, knife, fan, bottle, pole, whatever) & using it to end your opponent.

This. There are places where I can't cc. I always have a Uniball ultra fine point pen on my person. I even get to carry it on the plane, no questions asked. Think of it as an icepick with ink.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 05:15 PM

You can carry cane anywhere. It is covered as a handicap tool under the ADA. NOBODY can prevent you from carrying your cane ANYWHERE. In America anyhow.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 06:32 PM

Some are so weak they couldn’t swing a cane hard enough or stab a person with a bic enough before the bad guy beats that a$$ into the ground.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 08:42 PM

That may be true but it can also change. You can even use a cane for offense or defense while sitting. A hard 1”’hickory stick packs a powerful punch.

It certainly beats nothing!
Posted By: Guy

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/06/19 10:27 PM

YMCA
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/07/19 02:23 AM

There was an edged weapons expert who had videos posted on here in the past. I think his name was Pekiti. Simply ignore the fact that he injured himself while filiming his videos/technique.

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/07/19 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
There was an edged weapons expert who had videos posted on here in the past. I think his name was Pekiti. Simply ignore the fact that he injured himself while filiming his videos/technique.

Is he serious?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/07/19 02:39 AM

Have you considered Fung Schway?

Martial Arts are good for a young person.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/07/19 03:21 AM

I use the "walk quickly from car to office and car to grocery store" technique; combined with the "avoid any gathering of drunks" technique. Keeps me mostly out of trouble.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Any martial arts experts here? - 08/07/19 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by 68A

Do it!!!

Both my kids have been doing MMA for almost a year now. One started at 6 and the other one at 9. Both my kids love the class and have picked up many of the ideas and some of the moves. Their instructor holds a master or black belt in 6 disciplines but puts more of an emphasis on jiu jitsu.

I am a firm believer in MMA simply because there are good techniques in each discipline and knowing parts of other disciplines provides more tools and will give them experience on using your tools against moves beyond a single art. If I had to pick just one discipline for my kids (or anyone for that matter), it would be jiu jitsu though.

I am not a fan of karate at all. But kids think it all is karate, mine were the same.

Also, when looking at schools I think it is important that you pick one that utilizes contact and application. I have found that many schools only teach technique and discipline but don't ever actually use it in application. I assume it is so no one accidentally gets hurt, but it is truly pointless without it. Karate is notorious for this, but I have seen it in other disciplines also.

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Where’s T-Rex

I'm not an expert...I just go and get my rear kicked over and over by a Russian for exercise rofl
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum