Texas Hunting Forum

Tow behind mower

Posted By: Mr Squatch

Tow behind mower - 08/02/19 08:07 PM

We have land in the hill country and I am looking for something that would best meed our needs since I don't have a tractor. Land is rocky with hilly terrain. Not a lot of areas to mow but grass gets pretty tall where it does grow. Looking at either a tow behind flail mower or brush hog type mower to pull behind our ATV. What are your opinions on which would be best for this type of terrain?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/02/19 09:20 PM

Goats.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/02/19 09:33 PM

up

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...boring-co-not-a-flamethrower#Post7567897
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/02/19 10:05 PM

https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/field-brush-mowers/

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/03/19 01:19 AM

The property is not fenced at this time so goats aren't an option. A flame thrower would be fun but... too much cedar. I'm interested in the dr power brush mower but am curious how it would hold up to the very likely rock strikes. The place seems to grow rocks.
Posted By: don k

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/03/19 03:04 PM

My neighbor has one he pulls behind his ATV. It is very tuff. I can't believe it still works. I will get the brand name if I don't forget this afternoon.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/03/19 03:54 PM

Swisher rough cut tow behind.
But, you'll have to set it so you don't contact rocks often.
Spinning metal blades and rocks are a bad combination no matter what you use.

Maybe a walk behind self propelled brush cutter so you can see the rocks & raise mower deck before contact.
Swisher makes them too.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/03/19 05:06 PM

I saw a guy that had a Bobcat steer skid with a mower attachment on the front "mow" a field and the bar ditches and creek moving along like it was all flat ground. That or one of the flail mowers would be my choice.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/03/19 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I saw a guy that had a Bobcat steer skid with a mower attachment on the front "mow" a field and the barrow ditches and creek moving along like it was all flat ground. That or one of the flail mowers would be my choice.
TIFIFY

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/05/19 02:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't plan to intentionally hit the rocks but with the amount that is out there it is inevitable that it will happen at some point. Dogcatcher, could you tell me why a flail would be your choice?
Posted By: Mike W

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/05/19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler

I had one of the older ones (mid 2000s) that was a beast. I bought a new one in 2016 and it was nowhere near the quality of the original one I had. If you can find the older version it will do you a good job.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/05/19 02:55 PM

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/05/19 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike W
Originally Posted by Rustler

I had one of the older ones (mid 2000s) that was a beast. I bought a new one in 2016 and it was nowhere near the quality of the original one I had. If you can find the older version it will do you a good job.

I had a chance to buy one of those (old ones) for about $300 and passed because I thought he was a little high at the time. Wish to hell I'd bought it.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Tow behind mower - 08/06/19 07:09 PM

I have a SWISHER Mower that I use for the Trails and around the barn at our lease. It is awesome and works well for the 3-4 acres I mow at once.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum