Texas Hunting Forum

What do y'all think about moving to Dallas?

Posted By: S.A. hunter

What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:11 PM

Wife got offered a job in Dallas. Time to sit down and do some pros and cons. Is there any way to have a small ranch outside of Dallas and commute into town? How bad is the morning commute? I'll have more questions as we try and think our way through this decision.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:16 PM

Not for all the money in the world.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:17 PM

That bad?

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
That bad?

I'm biased living in Fort Worth, but I see no upside. It may be a small step up from S.A. depending on how you look at it. too many people, the government is horrible as is the schools. just my opinion mind you.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:23 PM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7546457/dallas-murders#Post7546457
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:23 PM

I work in both Dallas and FtWorth. The suck equally. Traffic is terrible in both. Depending on exactly where the job is it could be not as bad.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:26 PM

Are you a city dweller in San Antonio? If you are looking at the under $300k home range you may have a commute on your hands. If I left the house in rush hour it would be 1.5 hours each way.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I work in both Dallas and FtWorth. The suck equally. Traffic is terrible in both. Depending on exactly where the job is it could be not as bad.

I moved here over 30 years ago. I'm still amazed at how traffic has gotten so bad. way too many people moving here.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:31 PM

What part of Dallas is it? 5 days a week in the office? 9 to 5? Many factors. I have been here my whole life outside of college. If I had a million cash I would have a condo in the city and a ranch. Ranch 4 nights and condo 3 nights a week would be ideal.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:35 PM

Where will she work in Dallas?
Posted By: Cochise

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:35 PM

It sucks but its probably no worse than San Antonio.

I commute 67 miles one way from East of Dallas. I get into the office at 6:30 - so I miss the majority of traffic. Takes me about an hour to get to work on a normal day. Some days a little less, some days a little more. Coming home - usually about an hour and a half. There are bad days where it is much worse.

I am biased to East Texas - but I wouldn't live any closer to Dallas than Edgewood/Canton area (basically anything East of Wills point). Land and homes are fairly expensive out this way - but it is because the school districts are pretty good. I'd avoid areas that are real close to the lakes out here...it's changing for the better, but slowly. This area puts you halfway between Dallas (east side - Rockwall, Forney, Mesquite etc) and Tyler for shopping/eating out/etc on the weekends. I prefer going to Tyler.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I grew up in eastern Dallas county. Parents still live in Sunnyvale - but there is nothing "affordable" in Sunnyvale anymore.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:39 PM

You can stay with me until you get settled.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:40 PM

Traffic doesn't sound too bad if you can "avoid the majority of traffic" by leaving for work at 6:30am

You aren't avoiding any traffic in the Houston area at 6:30

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:40 PM

Part of Dallas is important.

Define “Ranch”.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Part of Dallas is important.

Define “Ranch”.

2.5 acres. rofl
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:45 PM

Commuting to and from dallas is ok between 8:45 am and 3:45 pm max, and thats riding the expensive 114 toll.

During normal business hours, the commute is 1/2 houston nightmare, and thats if it dont rain.

A decent 2.5 acre ranchette plus a downtown condo will run you well above a million, but u get to ride hobo limescooters during lunch

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Commuting to and from dallas is ok between 8:45 am and 3:45 pm max, and thats riding the expensive 114 toll.

During normal business hours, the commute is 1/2 houston nightmare, and thats if it dont rain.

A decent 2.5 acre ranchette plus a downtown condo will run you well above a million, but u get to ride hobo limescooters during lunch

I ain't ever getting a condo downtown. I lived at Knox/Henderson many years in a 3 story I owned. Wish I still did but rolled the profit into a house... You can get a nice condo for around $400K so leaves $600K for a place 2 to 3 hours away.
Posted By: PMK

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:57 PM

I have a friend from Idaho that has a nice condo for sale in the downtown Dallas area ... might be worth a look for week nights if anywhere close to where your wife's potential job location might be.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 07:59 PM

Y'all act like Dallas is New Delhi with a population of 30 million people.

It ain't that bad. Certainly not bad enough to put your wife up in a condo during the week. 2cents

Way less traffic than Houston or Austin.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
You can stay with me until you get settled.

OK, he can stay with you and the wife can state with me.:)

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:11 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DeRico

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:17 PM

If you decide to move you wouldn’t have to worry about selling your house, my wife and I are still drooling haha!
Posted By: Tritonman

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:20 PM

What's there to think about...............JUST DON'T DO IT!!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:26 PM

The real question is will you be closer or farther to your deer lease?

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tritonman
What's there to think about...............JUST DON'T DO IT!!

Ill second that and ill have fries with it

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Where will she work in Dallas?

Things just got set in motion, not sure where the office will be located.

Would like something around 50 acres or so.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:37 PM

At this rate it doesn't seem like Dallas is a great option for us.

Anything good about Dallas?
Posted By: Judd

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 08:46 PM

Here's the thing...I'm with everyone else...Dallas sucks but so does every other big town in America. Unfortunately, big town is where the business and money is...in my line of work it is a necessary evil.

50 acres or so will most likely be over an hour drive regardless of where her office is...her office location is going to play a huge role....for example, if her office is in Allen then it would be MUCH easier to find what you are looking for compared to if her office is downtown.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:01 PM

I lived on Dallas side of metro for 5 years before moving west to Fort Worth side. Night and day difference, for sure. Traffic and crime in both, but no worse than SA, and better than Houston of Austin. Like others have said, a lot of owning a chunk of land and commuting will be based on where the office is. 50 acres commutable to Frisco - maybe. 50 acres commutable to Irving or Downtown Dallas - probably not unless you have really deep pockets.

Dallas has great shopping and restaurants. Lots of nightlife if you are inclined, but gov't pretty much in constant turmoil and schools just as bad. I love the Fort Worth side, but we still have lots of big city problems here as well. The nicest thing about Fort Worth, I wear my hat and boots and feel right at home. If were forced to move back to Dallas side, would probably opt for one of the burbs up northeast - Melissa, Anna, etc. again, based on where office located.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:20 PM

I live in mckinney and commute to Addison about 3 days a week.. leave at 615 and I’ll get there by 645. Leave at 620 and I’ll get there by 705. I don’t plan any calls after 3 so that I can get home at a decent time.
I moved here for my wife to complete grad school 15 years ago and haven’t found a way out..

The pros, all the big city amenities like restaurants, shopping, entertainment, airports..
The cons, high property taxes, lots of people, and stinkin traffic.

Let us know where the office would be once you find out. That would help alot

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:23 PM

Dallas sucks - but so does every big city, including San Antonio. I'm inclined to think it doesn't suck quite as bad as San Antonio. IMO.

50 acres you're probably going to be looking East or SE of Dallas. You won't find 50 acres for less than $250,000 most likely. And that is with no house. 50 acres N or slightly NE of Dallas is going to run higher.

All depends on where her office ends up being. 50-60 miles E, S, or N/NE is going to be about the same commute time. Pick a location that gives her multiple options, for example - if her office is downtown proper and you end up E of Dallas - you've got 80 and 20 as commute options. Plenty of ways to get into downtown without ever driving on I-30. Saves a lot of time and headaches of dealing with stopped traffic.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:23 PM

50 acres without any improvements with a 1.5hr + (leaving the house at 6:00AM) commute will run a minimum of $20K/acre.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:29 PM

Commuting from 50 acre ranch. Not possible.

Buddy just bought 50 acres in Emory for 200k. But well over an hour each way is a deal breaker.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:31 PM

What does it matter? It's a nice place in most areas and not a nice in some others like all big cities. You want to live in the middle of no where or a small town it sounds like as opposed to the actual city. One place you have 1 or 2 options and for something and another you have 100. Too many unknown variables. Work location makes a big difference to where you commute from. Good buddy bought 180 acres in Wolfe City. Commutes 3 days a week but dang that is far.

Heck, where I hunt, many folks commute 2 hours... Thays nuts.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:33 PM

Leaving.

Oh, and Kellers drive in.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:35 PM

As far as major cities go, San Antonio is hard to beat.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:43 PM

I forgot to mention her job would require a lot of running around Dallas and Fort Worth on a regular basis .

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 09:45 PM

I forgot to mention her job would require a lot of running around Dallas and Fort Worth on a regular basis .

Is she on meds?

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:05 PM

There is a nice window to do that from about 10a-3p
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:23 PM

There is not one single good reason to live in a place like that. Especially someone who is an outdoorsman.

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to live in a city to make good money.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:24 PM

This should be titled, "Moving near a small town in north Texas to get 50+ acres so wife can bring home the bacon driving around DFW." You aren't moving to Dallas.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
This should be titled, "Moving near a small town in north Texas to get 50+ acres so wife can bring home the bacon driving around DFW."

Harsh. Never wade in to that sacred bond that is a marriage. They'll figure it out.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:28 PM

You seem like a frisco, Plano type. Great areas. Good luck.
Posted By: pug

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Not for all the money in the world.

Lived in far North Dallas until 2012. Leaving was the best decision I’ve made in 60 years.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:34 PM

Here is a house on 20 acres with about 400 more

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7007-Hawk-Rd-Flower-Mound-TX-75022/2088266961_zpid/
Posted By: Wytex

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:35 PM

Euless
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:36 PM

DFW = Land of opportunity

Also, there are plenty of places you can find some land to live on within 60-75 minutes...look SE along Hwy 80, I-20, 175 or even down 67....land is generally cheaper than up north.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 10:52 PM

I think I'll stay right here! banana

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Euless

LOL
Posted By: hopalong

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 11:35 PM

Wife got offered a job in Dallas. Time to sit down and do some pros and cons. Is there any way to have a small ranch outside of Dallas and commute into town? rofl rofl rofl How bad is the morning commute? rofl rofl rofl I'll have more questions as we try and think our way through this decision.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 11:37 PM

I have driven dfw in pickup and semi and would eat geckos by the dozen before I would try to exist in that jungle.

jmo (then again, I am pretty opinionated)

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 11:39 PM

The average morning drive in Garland is 29.5 minutes. Fort Worth had the second-longest commute time, at 27.9 minutes, followed by Arlington and Houston at 27.3 minutes apiece. Plano has the fourth-worst commute at 26.8 minutes, followed by Dallas at 26.7 minutes, Irving at 26.1 minutes, and Austin at 24.8 minutes

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/...t-worth-cities-have-longest-commute.html
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 11:56 PM

Some of you guys need to get out from under your bridge a little more often... While I would agree Dallas proper is not a place you want to move to, with or without acreage, the metroplex in general wouldn't be such an in-demand place to move in to if didn't have alot to offer.

I mean c'mon we even had a sounder of hogs run through the Tom Thumb parking lot here in The Mound a few weeks ago.

Charlie
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/02/19 11:59 PM

I think it depends on how much money the company is going to pay your wife. Are you a “House Husband?” I’ve never had the luxury of deciding family business on my wife’s career. My main concern would be, how will the move benefit the income of my family. The pay would have to be damn good for me to consider a move to Dallas.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:10 AM

Dallas is about 600-700 police officers short staffed. Crime rate is off the charts, black democrat D.A. that refuses to prosecute felons, black female democrat police chief that says the felons have no choice but to commit violent crimes because they are uneducated and they just got out of prison, just about every judge in the Dallas county courts are black democrats that are being lenient on the bad guys. You wanna live there and work there ? You feel safe for your wife to run around that city ? Dallas is the next Detroit.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:18 AM

But seriously, get a Keller's #5 and a cold beer. Legit.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:20 AM

You will be closer to Norman. I’ll take you to an OU game. up

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
Dallas is about 600-700 police officers short staffed. Crime rate is off the charts, black democrat D.A. that refuses to prosecute felons, black female democrat police chief that says the felons have no choice but to commit violent crimes because they are uneducated and they just got out of prison, just about every judge in the Dallas county courts are black democrats that are being lenient on the bad guys. You wanna live there and work there ? You feel safe for your wife to run around that city ? Dallas is the next Detroit.

This quote sounds racist. Black people are much more sensitive to what is going on in society. They are also much smarter than white people and know how hard it is to get a job as a felon. I hope you are ashamed of your self on your hindrance of the progressive movement in Dallas. Give a democrat a chance, it’s not easy to transition from the pen with no education. Education is not offered freely to the incarcerated. Folks gotta do what folks gotta do.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

Why do you hate him?

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:42 AM

I already put a deposit down on an efficiency for us.
Posted By: blanked

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:48 AM

I live in the Houston area and drive thru Dallas twice a year on my way to Montana. Now granted when I head up to Montana going thru Dallas is always on a Friday night but it’s about 9 PM by then. Wholly cow that traffic is way worst than what I see in Houston. It’s like Los Angeles

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Some of you guys need to get out from under your bridge a little more often... While I would agree Dallas proper is not a place you want to move to, with or without acreage, the metroplex in general wouldn't be such an in-demand place to move in to if didn't have alot to offer.

I mean c'mon we even had a sounder of hogs run through the Tom Thumb parking lot here in The Mound a few weeks ago.

Charlie

I saw em too

[Linked Image]

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

This quote sounds racist. Black people are much more sensitive to what is going on in society. They are also much smarter than white people and know how hard it is to get a job as a felon. I hope you are ashamed of your self on your hindrance of the progressive movement in Dallas. Give a democrat a chance, it’s not easy to transition from the pen with no education. Education is not offered freely to the incarcerated. Folks gotta do what folks gotta do.

This is BS. Most blacks I know feel everyone owes them something. You said blacks are smarter than whites and then you refer to them being uneducated and being prison. Go live in a majority black neighborhood and tell me how smart they are. Tell me how much better your quality of life is
I worked with many blacks in Los Angeles. Many of them have had there family members killed in there black communities. A black coworker of mine was killed using an ATM. His wife wrote a letter afterwards to our department describing how 4 of his brothers were also killed in the same community. It goes on and on
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:00 AM

I wouldn’t do it even with a toll tag and only driving during that “3-10 window” mentioned above, which I’m not sure is going to prove as nice of a window as you think.

I’m not trying to deter you too much, because I don’t know you or your wife, but it would have to be a pretty special job for me to consider this and move from San Antonio to Dallas, especially if you’re happy in San Antonio.

I hate Dallas, love Fort Worth. You’d have a better chance of finding what you want if this was all in Fort Worth (more land to the west that would provide a better commute, I think) but I don’t think it would work out finding a 50 acre spread and having an easy commute for her in Dallas.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:07 AM

Fort Worth and Dallas are so different that you should have to have a passport to cross from Tarrant County to Dallas County.

Tell your wife to take the job if the money is right. You do not have to live in the city limits of Dallas to work in Dallas.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:08 AM

Move to Dallas only if you're fine with them using your tax dollars to remove monuments in the middle of the night.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:11 AM

Dallas is fine......we are on the east side of the county.
I spent 20 years commuting diagonally across Dallas. Took about 45 minutes. I would live here over any other big city in Texas.
Posted By: Stub

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by blanked
I live in the Houston area and drive thru Dallas twice a year on my way to Montana. Now granted when I head up to Montana going thru Dallas is always on a Friday night but it’s about 9 PM by then. Wholly cow that traffic is way worst than what I see in Houston. It’s like Los Angeles

Blanked what are you smoking confused2 I have lived in Dallas most of my life and yes traffic sucks. I lived in Houston twice and there is no city in Texas thats traffic is worst or more dysfunctional drivers than Houston, Austin is right behind them.

Dallas like any big city is not a good place for a country boy to live, but if you have to live in a big city and if we are talking Texas, Dallas is better than Houston, San Antonio or Austin.

Having said all of that if Fort Worth is close enough that is where I would plant my azz,

Good luck up

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:21 AM

I live in Conroe and work in deer park. I leave work at 9PM on a Friday and it’s wide open. I am comparing apples to apples. Dallas way worst

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:30 AM

This is BS. Most blacks I know feel everyone owes them something. You said blacks are smarter than whites and then you refer to them being uneducated and being prison. Go live in a majority black neighborhood and tell me how smart they are. Tell me how much better your quality of life is
I worked with many blacks in Los Angeles. Many of them have had there family members killed in there black communities. A black coworker of mine was killed using an ATM. His wife wrote a letter afterwards to our department describing how 4 of his brothers were also killed in the same community. It goes on and on

You are obviously not as sensitive as I am. It’s sad that your time in Los Angeles didn’t program you to consider the feelings of black America. The more intelligent liberal Americans would understand that whoever killed your coworker at the ATM was probably disenfranchised, possibly even incarcerated at one time, and needed that $20 more than the coworker needed his life. Have some feelings man!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 02:05 AM

stir

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 02:13 AM

We can't even agree on beans or no beans around here... I would never take anyone too serious on here since that was the way their mama raised them and I don't know their mama! up

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
We can't even agree on beans or no beans around here... I would never take anyone too serious on here since that was the way their mama raised them and I don't know their mama! up

As a kid, long, long time ago, i was picking cotton with a lil black dude. I felt bad for him.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 02:36 AM

But seriously, get a Keller's #5 and a cold beer. Legit.

And a sixer to go.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 03:25 AM

Fort Worth... hammer And the most anti-gun, democrat loving atheist family member and wife and kid lives in Fort Worth. And very successful as well. Killed plenty of doves with him too. They live everywhere now. Don't kid yourself. They are moving from their Fort Worth neighorhood due to the crime. House worth $550K now but in a bad area... I just roll my eyes.

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article...287-3089ec15-91d7-4924-9396-2abdb7ee8a84
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 03:27 AM

I would kill myself if I had to live or work in Dallas...That is all.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

Why do you hate him?

rofl

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I would kill myself if I had to live or work in Dallas...That is all.

That's why they built the high 5. I speed up to 85 when I go under it each day. I drive north 8 to 9 am each day so average 75 to 80. Stay away...
Posted By: jsteve

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 03:41 AM

The Dallas Cowboys don't even play in Dallas County if that tells ya anything.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 04:10 AM

Dallas is racing to the bottom just like most big cities where democrats take over.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jsteve
The Dallas Cowboys don't even play in Dallas County if that tells ya anything.

Thank ole Laura Miller for that one... It is only 19 miles from downtown Dallas. Arlington paid for it and many folks lost their homes. Not sure where it was going is considered Dallas one would move... Maybe been their a few times in 15 years for the fair. Mineola Walmart pretty similar... And Bowie, and any small town Walmart, etc... No point to go to Walmart in Dallas. Have too many other options. Every once in a while for entertainment, hit one at 11 pm.

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 06:20 AM

We had a talk. The only up side would be starting up a new region, and the possibility of advancing her career at a faster pace. She is already in the fast lane in San Antonio. Plus I would have to find another job within the company. Only problem with that is, I have one of the higher paying jobs in the company that isn't upper management, or tech related. So, I would have to leave the company in order to get paid what I get paid now.

I'm not a "house husband" I work long weeks, and get paid decently. Where I have a good paying job, she has a great paying career. Her ceiling is way way way higher then mine. I know where my bread is buttered.

She still has time to think about things, but for now there's a 99% chance that we will be staying in the great city of San Antonio. Sorry Choctaw, and Rolltide the sleepovers, and campouts are gonna have to wait.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been to Dallas maybe five times in my life, and they were all for sporting events. So I haven't spent much time in the city itself. It's been eye opening.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 11:13 AM

I would never live in Dallas or anywhere near it.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by stinkbelly

Dallas was good time to live in the 70' and the 80's, Not so much now of days

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:22 PM

We had a talk. The only up side would be starting up a new region, and the possibility of advancing her career at a faster pace. She is already in the fast lane in San Antonio. Plus I would have to find another job within the company. Only problem with that is, I have one of the higher paying jobs in the company that isn't upper management, or tech related. So, I would have to leave the company in order to get paid what I get paid now.

I'm not a "house husband" I work long weeks, and get paid decently. Where I have a good paying job, she has a great paying career. Her ceiling is way way way higher then mine. I know where my bread is buttered.

She still has time to think about things, but for now there's a 99% chance that we will be staying in the great city of San Antonio. Sorry Choctaw, and Rolltide the sleepovers, and campouts are gonna have to wait.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been to Dallas maybe five times in my life, and they were all for sporting events. So I haven't spent much time in the city itself. It's been eye opening.

Take a vacation for a short week, and pretend to already have moved to Dallas to test the waters.

You will be cutting your vacation short by day 3, if not, i have a good doctor.

I would personally take a pay cut to move to SA, especially to its beautiful country side such as Boerne.
Ms. scott will help you find your ranch.

Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 01:34 PM

One of the best things to happen to me was losing my job in Texas (Denton area) and relocating to Huntsville, AL.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 02:13 PM

Duck Fallas.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 02:21 PM

Good luck to y’all in navigating this decision.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 02:47 PM

I live in the Houston area and drive thru Dallas twice a year on my way to Montana.

I live by D/FW airport and work in Houston just about every week. Downtown, Spring and the Energy Corridor. There is no comparison as to which is worse, Houston easily wins.

Where I have a good paying job, she has a great paying career. Her ceiling is way way way higher then mine. I know where my bread is buttered.

You clearly understand and have a good plan.

Charlie
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by stinkbelly
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 05:01 PM

The place you live is what you make of it. I have been in Dallas 63 years...wouldn't live anywhere else.
Posted By: Stub

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by rjf1911
The place you live is what you make of it. I have been in Dallas 63 years...wouldn't live anywhere else.

How true on (what you make of it) I have lived in Dallas most of my life, Houston two times and 9 months in Malibu.

Like any big city it has its challenges but if I had to live in one of the Big Cities in Texas it would be Dallas.

One of these days soon I plan on escaping this place for truly greener pastures up
Posted By: RayB

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 05:20 PM

Remember he lives in the peoples republic of San Antonio so he probably wouldn't notice much difference
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 05:35 PM

Moving from San Antonio to Dallas you won't notice much of a difference. I lived in Dallas most of my life, now about 25 mins east of it but still go into Dallas 3-5 days a week. I love Dallas and would move back if I had enough coin to have a few acres in the city and could afford private school.

Crime is actually higher in SA so that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Dallas-
Crime Rate (Total Incidents) 41,447
Property Crime 26,012
Violent Crime 7,096

San Antonio-
Crime Rate (Total Incidents) 75,074
Property Crime 68,734
Violent Crime 9,384
Posted By: Judd

Re: What do y'all think about moving to Dallas? - 07/03/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chopped54
Moving from San Antonio to Dallas you won't notice much of a difference. I lived in Dallas most of my life, now about 25 mins east of it but still go into Dallas 3-5 days a week. I love Dallas and would move back if I had enough coin to have a few acres in the city and could afford private school.

Crime is actually higher in SA so that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Dallas-
Crime Rate (Total Incidents) 41,447
Property Crime 26,012
Violent Crime 7,096

San Antonio-
Crime Rate (Total Incidents) 75,074
Property Crime 68,734
Violent Crime 9,384

Imagine what it would be if we had a border problem trout
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum