Texas Hunting Forum

Retirement locale

Posted By: luv2brode

Retirement locale - 06/29/19 01:42 PM

So wife thinks she wants to be close to kids when we retire daughter will be in Oklahoma I am thinking north Texas
I am here looking for ideas of good locations so what ya got
Looking for more rural location than anything more land than house works too
Thanks
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 01:51 PM

Graham is a nice town. Lots of water nearby and really pretty country.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 02:18 PM

Closer to 35 or 75?

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 02:38 PM

I like 35 but I don't really care either way
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 03:55 PM

I like Graham too.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 04:22 PM

paris, bonham, sulphur springs area for rural without the traffic bleedover from the burbs. gotta get at least 25 mi. east of 75 to avoid the "commuters".

I'm in far ne fannin county and very rural, 35 mi. to paris or bonham and about 1.5 mi. south of the red river, driving into sherman and points south into dfw can be a beating.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
paris, bonham, sulphur springs area for rural without the traffic bleedover from the burbs. gotta get at least 25 mi. east of 75 to avoid the "commuters".

I'm in far ne fannin county and very rural, 35 mi. to paris or bonham and about 1.5 mi. south of the red river, driving into sherman and points south into dfw can be a beating.

That is exactly where I was thinking
Posted By: majekman

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 08:28 PM

Jus curious if any you guys know what land is bringing around Graham per acre. I have an elderly uncle that owns 300ac near Graham.....just curious about the value
Thanks
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by majekman
Jus curious if any you guys know what land is bringing around Graham per acre. I have an elderly uncle that owns 300ac near Graham.....just curious about the value
Thanks

Like anywhere, depends on location, improvements, house, barns, ponds/tanks, fencing, water well, sewer, electricity.
Cleared farm land, covered in mesquite & prickly pear, pasture suitable for grazing, the list goes on.

Somewhere between $1200 - $5000 per acre, depending.
Rough raw unimproved land more toward the low end, highly improved more toward the mid to high end.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Retirement locale - 06/29/19 11:56 PM

Just where in Oklahoma is your daughter? Depending on if she is in the panhandle or on the Arkansas border it will greatly vary where you want to be located.
Good luck and congratulation on your upcoming retirement.

Re: Retirement locale - 06/30/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Just where in Oklahoma is your daughter? Depending on if she is in the panhandle or on the Arkansas border it will greatly vary where you want to be located.
Good luck and congratulation on your upcoming retirement.

She will be between Stillwater and Tulsa same place my mom,aunts, sister, grandma live
It's easier and quicker to drive across Oklahoma than Texas its 7-8 hours from here to there just trying to cut that time down
Retirement ain't for years but would like to get it bought now
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Retirement locale - 06/30/19 01:16 AM

I was fairly impressed with Bentonville Arkansas.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Retirement locale - 06/30/19 01:45 AM

We used to fish at Texoma some. We thought Pottsboro or even Denison looked OK. It has been long enough since we were there that it could have changed, grown, (DFW escapees).

It is just like where I am, Sulphur Springs. We have grown due to folks escaping larger cities. However, we love it. We are between several lakes. We're an hour from Tyler, hour from Rockwall, hour and a half from DFW if there is a medical emergency that can't be taken care of in Tyler or Rockwall. I can't think of any other reason to go west of Ray Hubbard ever again.

I'm a Realtor. Numerous clients of mine in recent years are from DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc. Somebody can be from here to downtown Dallas as fast as somebody from McKinney. We have a number of firefighters, nurses, and pilots that work in DFW with their unique work schedule.

And I think we have a pretty good handle on the crime rate compared to many others. Here is a good site. http://www.city-data.com/

Re: Retirement locale - 06/30/19 04:12 PM

Thanks all
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Retirement locale - 06/30/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by majekman
Thanks

Unimproved property around $2000-$2500 an acre.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Retirement locale - 06/30/19 05:38 PM

like I said, look around paris to bonham to sulphur springs.
easy access to okieland via 78 from bonham or 271 from paris.

we have pat mayse lake, coffee mill and crockett lakes and about to add another just above them (14,000 acres).
lots of land for sale out here too.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Retirement locale - 06/30/19 05:48 PM

we have pat mayse lake, coffee mill and crockett lakes and about to add another just above them (14,000 acres).

When is that new lake set to open?
Posted By: Grayson

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by DannyB
We used to fish at Texoma some. We thought Pottsboro or even Denison looked OK. It has been long enough since we were there that it could have changed, grown, (DFW escapees).

It is just like where I am, Sulphur Springs. We have grown due to folks escaping larger cities. However, we love it. We are between several lakes. We're an hour from Tyler, hour from Rockwall, hour and a half from DFW if there is a medical emergency that can't be taken care of in Tyler or Rockwall. I can't think of any other reason to go west of Ray Hubbard ever again.

I'm a Realtor. Numerous clients of mine in recent years are from DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc. Somebody can be from here to downtown Dallas as fast as somebody from McKinney. We have a number of firefighters, nurses, and pilots that work in DFW with their unique work schedule.

And I think we have a pretty good handle on the crime rate compared to many others. Here is a good site. http://www.city-data.com/

Market’s hot in Grayson county. Lots of metroplex refugees as well as transplants.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

When is that new lake set to open?

[Linked Image]

View of the new lake this evening.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 11:41 AM

I know a guy that did that. Then the kids moved.
Posted By: MO

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 02:05 PM

My Mom's (RIP ) place will be for sale soon ,
Love County OK, West of Marrietta , East of Madil.
50 odd acres two miles north of hiway 32 between hickory and wilson creeks.

Farm, pasture land , Nice house , big detached garage. built in mid 80's , well maintained.

MO

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

Yep I could see this, original plan was Idaho or Alaska I liked that not huge on this plan but whatever keeps momma happy
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 03:08 PM

Something to think about! up
Posted By: rlfisher

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 08:02 PM

We live outside of Gainesville bout thirty minutes to Texoma and bout the same to Ray Roberts good hunting along the river
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Retirement locale - 07/01/19 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Something to think about! up

This. My oldest son and DIL moved to Connecticut in January of 2018 with no plans to move back to Texas. We considered moving up there and our daughter was going to relocate with us. Well less than 2 years into it and they hate it up there. They are moving back to Texas as soon as he get a job here or by September even if he has not found one yet.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Retirement locale - 07/03/19 11:28 PM

Hmmmm. Sure I will get a lot of heat for this. You need a buffer zone living next to grandkids IMO. Otherwise you will be babysitting full time. Not how I would spend my retirement
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Retirement locale - 07/04/19 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by blanked
Hmmmm. Sure I will get a lot of heat for this. You need a buffer zone living next to grandkids IMO. Otherwise you will be babysitting full time. Not how I would spend my retirement

Since I didn’t have the pleasure of having grandparents close by, I wouldn’t mind it. And I know my wife wouldn’t.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Retirement locale - 07/04/19 01:22 AM

When I was a kid I had grandparents who lived 5 miles away and also in Florida 1500 miles away. I was way more excited to spend a few weeks in Florida every year in a new place away from the big city than visiting my grandparentss 5 miles away
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum