Texas Hunting Forum

Help with old coins

Posted By: thorn4570

Help with old coins - 06/26/19 07:23 PM

Anybody know of a trusted legit place I can take old coins and see what they are worth? Or emails pics?
Thank y’all
Posted By: Bobbaganoosh

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 07:47 PM

These guys are in Houston.
https://www.houstoncoinbuyer.com/
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 07:52 PM

What ever you do Don't Leave Your Coins for them to look them over. BIG price differences between grades of coins I don't trust them not to swap them out for lessor coins... 2cents
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
What ever you do Don't Leave Your Coins for them to look them over. BIG price differences between grades of coins I don't trust them not to swap them out for lessor coins... 2cents

I wished I had 3 bitcoins instead
bang
Posted By: SlabWhisperer

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 08:04 PM

Uncle Zeek on TFF
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 08:06 PM

Any really good websites out there? Father-in-law left a bunch that I'd like to split up among his grandkids but would like to do it equitably and give them some info on what they are getting.

My thoughts have been in line with some of the comments above. Don't really trust strangers in a shop to really tell me what I have.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 08:25 PM

I went to a jeweler here in Denton. I have bought some small items from him. His daughter is an Aggie.

My grandmother had some old coins and my family knew I like coins. I told him I was keeping them, but the estate was being divided 4 ways and I needed a value to give to the estate.

He told me what they were worth ($400) and I asked him what I needed to pay him for the time. He said the next time I was in the market for jewelry, keep his shop in mind.

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe

bang

That's been my biggest winner this year unless ACB Hits.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 08:36 PM

Watching - My FIL gifted a bunch of pre 1950's silver (90% silver) and I need to find a legit buyer.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by SlabWhisperer
Uncle Zeek on TFF

This. Good guy.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 10:57 PM

Buy the following: A Guide Book Of United States Coins. by R. S. Yeoman.

It has all the values and how to grade them.

Or try Ft. Worth Coin Company for values or the book.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Help with old coins - 06/26/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Watching - My FIL gifted a bunch of pre 1950's silver (90% silver) and I need to find a legit buyer.

I have bought a lot of 90% silver on TFF and THF. Im not buying at the moment other than Silver dollars and Barber dimes but post it up in the classifieds here and someone will buy it. Check out coinflation.com to figure up the value.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Help with old coins - 06/27/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by SlabWhisperer
Uncle Zeek on TFF

Thank you for the mention.

Thorn, I'm in Lewisville. If you can afford to wait a week or so, I'll be done with property tax season and will have time to look at the coins you have & give my opinion of value. I've been collecting since I was 6 years old and many of the TFF guys can vouch for me.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Help with old coins - 06/27/19 01:32 AM

Well done Zeek!
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Help with old coins - 06/27/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe

bang

That's been my biggest winner this year unless ACB Hits.

Acb is heavily diluted, as they keep on buying companies, i still keep mine with a loss and we shall see in 5 yrs.
I think vff has more potential. I wouldnt be surprised if somebody will take over vff soon.

Re: Help with old coins - 06/27/19 01:54 AM

That would be nice if VFF was bought out I'd be happy with that.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Help with old coins - 06/27/19 01:59 AM

Thank you Uncle Zeek. I really appreciate it. A week or so is great. I am about to be gone till mid July anyway. Thank you again I appreciate very much.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Help with old coins - 06/27/19 03:10 AM

Arlington Gold and Silver, ask for Peter. Have bought and sold a lot with him. Great guy, very, very smart, and will shoot you straight.

http://www.arlingtongoldandsilver.com/index.html
Posted By: sweetwood

Re: Help with old coins - 06/27/19 04:11 AM

I buy collections from time to time. If you want to send me photos I'm always glad to help and give you my opinion on what you have. FWIW, my next purchase will be some land so I won't be giving any offers, just feedback.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum