Texas Hunting Forum

Five gallon bottle full of change

Posted By: Payne

Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:05 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:09 AM

Cash it in and start over. I have change scattered all over my house and in my pickup.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:17 AM

I’m gonna guess $1300
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:17 AM

We used to save all change back when we used cash.
If it is full you’re probably looking at $1K or more.
Be silly to just let it sit there. Cash it in.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:18 AM

Pic just loaeded, cannot get more full than that.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:20 AM

At coin stars now you can get instant gift cards without a cost, I do that now since most banks refuse to take change now, or try to hassle you. Go to the coin star website and check it out.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:22 AM

My guess is $1420.00
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:22 AM

try to find a bank with a coin machine, mine used to have one but took it out for some reason.

dam coin star wants too much if you want cash back.

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:23 AM

Not my pic, found it on the web. I was just wondering.

I separate my change into junk silver, quarters then dimes/nickels/pennys

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Payne
Not my pic, found it on the web. I was just wondering.

I separate my change into junk silver, quarters then dimes/nickels/pennys

Fake?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:24 AM

I had an empty gallon Seagram's whiskey bottle that I almost filled up once and I cashed it in to buy a used Ruger #1 .270 way back in the 80's. I got just under $800 from that but I was a very high percentage of quarters in that bottle.

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:26 AM

I passed up a penny on the sidewalk today. Do you guys pick them up?

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:26 AM

Fake pic? no, my pic no!

My bank does coins for free, I cash the dimes/nickels/pennys every five years or so. I keep the quarters and junk silver.

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:30 AM

I keep some in my pickup but its never with me when I need it. Don't remember the last time I used any cash.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:33 AM

There was an article in the local paper back in the mid 70's about a local man who had the large ceramic crocks of various sizes up to 10 gallon. He had them all over his home and used many as end tables, nights stands, table legs, etc. He would drop his loose change from his pocket and when they were full he would put a piece of plywood on top to cover them. He and his wife had done this for 50+ yrs collecting their change. When they went to buy something, they paid cash and then put they leftover change in his "saving account". When he got paid and cashed his check he put the loose change in the "savings account" also. He was in his early 70's when his grown kids became worried about all the money he had in all those crocks. So they convinced him to cash it in and put the money in a real savings account. IIRC he had something like $16,000 worth of change when they counted it all. It was something like 20 or so of the crocks full of change. It was a tremendous amount of loose change. There was probably some rare coins in the mix also that range from pennies to silver dollars.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:36 AM

I got one of these as a gift. It works great. Holds about $300 full. I've filled it several times, more when I was working

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coin-Bank-Savings-Jar/dp/B00O999WL6?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:40 AM

I've heard of that story. I've been collecting the pre 65 dimes for most of my life. Pretty easy when you do it everyday. Old man did Jack bottles, uncle JB and grandma Beefeater.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:40 AM

This method is exactly how my parents paid for our vacations every year. That thing is way more than a grand

We would take 2 adults and 3 kids on 1/3-1/2 a bottle.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I got one of these as a gift. It works great. Holds about $300 full. I've filled it several times, more when I was working

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coin-Bank-Savings-Jar/dp/B00O999WL6?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

That’s pretty cool Buzz
Posted By: rickym

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:50 AM

Depends on the age of it if I would want to pick through it for silver, but I’d cash it.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 12:58 AM

I’d cash it and start over. If you have something in mind now (like a new gun or weekend getaway) then use it for that. If not, bury it in the yard (metaphorically speaking) to use as a rainy day fund.
Posted By: pnh

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Not if it's tails up, bad luck.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 01:25 AM

Cash it in. Buy AR receivers and ammo.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 01:41 AM

When we moved my folks out of their house my Dad had 2 3 foot tall coke bottle banks full of coins and had coins stashed everywhere. In film canisters, boxes, cans, tins. It ended up being over 2200$
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 01:42 AM

I’d sort through it for coins worth more than face value.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 01:51 AM

My credit union still has a change machine. I keep a Chilympiad beer bucket on the dresser, it holds about $200.
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 02:14 AM

Honestly there’s no point to keep racking up change. Cash dat ish and fill it back up. Unless you want to horde the currency, it’s not earning any interest
Posted By: hetman

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 02:22 AM

I traded in a glass jar about 1/3 the size of that 5gal for $700
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 02:26 AM

That is way more than you might think. I filled one of those maybe 1/3 full years ago and it was over 1300.
I clean out my pickups every year and grab the change from the house and it is always 700-800 minimum, we use it for gas $ for a road trip.
Posted By: don k

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 02:28 AM

I would give it to the Bev. so he could rent a backhoe to dig out his fossil.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 02:38 AM

I throw pennies in street or give to clerk for next customer.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by don k
I would give it to the Bev. so he could rent a backhoe to dig out his fossil.

rofl
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 03:18 AM

I filled one of those up one time. Don't remember how much was in it. Almost never got it in the truck.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 03:32 AM

We would save change at a rate of about $200 a year. But since credit and debit cards are used so much now, I bet we haven't saved $200 in the last ten years.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty
I throw pennies in street or give to clerk for next customer.

#humblebrag
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrmo
My guess is $1420.00

My guess is $1735.02
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 03:54 AM

I love saving change.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 03:55 AM

We paid for our honey moon with a few small donations and rolling change.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 04:01 AM

I would much better choose to find (While metal detecting) a jar full of silver coins, hidden at the base of a tree in the back yard of a old homesite, A great many of those older folks hated banks, and the wife always had her Stash.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 04:07 AM

1642.87. Guaranteed
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 08:45 AM

I've been tossing change in a jar for years. Sometimes I get a sock full and give it to Great Grandkids.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 10:39 AM

Cash it in and do or buy something fun with the money and start tossing the coins back in up
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 10:55 AM

That's a lot of Jack in the Box tacos
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 11:30 AM

Before cashing it.... Be sure and check for wheat pennies 2cents
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 11:48 AM

Been a change collector all my life. I carry cash so I end up with allot of change and just like you I used to put them in a 5 gallon jug. Now I have separate containers for each denomination and roll them about once a month, sorting through everything as it came out of the jug was not only a pain but also messy. I also save my one dollar bills and keep them in wrapped bundles of 25. Doing this usually leaves me enough money at the end of the year to purchase one to two guns a year depending on the gun. I've got a 365 SIG headed this way that was purchased with a years worth of quarters.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 01:34 PM

Since I was a kid I have kept change in a jar and when it gets full, I cash it in. Now that my kids are old enough, whenever they come to me for some out of the ordinary request - a weekend church trip, SCOUT trip, broken phone, etc. - I tell them I will help them by giving them the money in the change jar, but they have to roll the coins. Still giving them money, but making them apply a little effort makes me feel better and I hope they appreciate it more.
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 02:40 PM

We have been saving change for years to finance vacations. Getting ready to cash in the latest load, been a couple of years, guessing somewhere between $650-$750. I read that the average value of a pound of mixed changed is $12 per pound, we have 50-60 lbs
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 03:18 PM

What I would do is to first go through and look for quarters, dimes, and half dollars that are 1964 and before. These can be 90% silver so a 1963 quarter could be worth several bucks. I would then separate all wheat pennies. If you find the correct 1909 it could be worth a grand itself. Nickels are good if you find the war time ones. Then I would get me several state quarter books and state parks books and fill in what you can, same with wheat pennies, and Indian head pennies if you find any. Then I would cash the rest and then go to change machines and use that to get different coins. Repeat process.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 05:37 PM

I cashed in a bottle about 1/3 size of that yesterday, got $800 plus in cash, and it returned 2 silver dimes to me they thought was fake.

Gonna say you got well over $2k in that stash
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 05:46 PM

I see a new rifle in that jug!
Posted By: snoopy

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 05:46 PM

Yeah, but I prefer dimes and qtrs. smile It's that kid thing in me plus I've been saving coins: nickles, dimes and qtrs for a l-o-n-g time now. The pennies are used to just round off small purchases for the above coinage. A little harmless OCDness or whatever disorder, I guess.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 08:01 PM

Cash it put the folding money in there then fill it up again. ,
Posted By: Stub

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/19/19 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by snoopy

Yeah, but I prefer dimes and qtrs. smile It's that kid thing in me plus I've been saving coins: nickles, dimes and qtrs for a l-o-n-g time now. The pennies are used to just round off small purchases for the above coinage. A little harmless OCDness or whatever disorder, I guess.

Depends upon what I am doing and where it is lying, normally yes. Always have regardless of how much money I did or did not have.
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/23/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mako My Day
We have been saving change for years to finance vacations. Getting ready to cash in the latest load, been a couple of years, guessing somewhere between $650-$750. I read that the average value of a pound of mixed changed is $12 per pound, we have 50-60 lbs

Update: cashed in $641.39 today, and found 6 wheat pennies in the mix that I set aside
banana2
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/24/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Cash it put the folding money in there then fill it up again. ,

That's not a bad idea, I hadn't considered that but I think I will do that with ours.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/24/19 04:30 PM

I keep mine in a quart mason jar on the dresser and cash when full. Goes into "daddy's play fund".
Posted By: 007hunter

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/24/19 05:00 PM

My bank used to have a machine in one of the branch that I took my change to and they would process it for free. No longer there. Those crazy Coinstar machine charge an arm and a leg. We used to save all year and then do something fun with the kids with the three of four hundred dollars we got...
Posted By: jmac24

Re: Five gallon bottle full of change - 04/24/19 06:25 PM

We have one for each of our boys, probably about half full each. The reason the banks removed the coin machines from the lobbies is the constant noise!! Those things will drive everyone crazy!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum