Texas Hunting Forum

Going back to Alaska

Posted By: Sparky45

Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 02:08 PM

I went in 2017 and got hooked on Alaska.
Couldn’t swing another trip last year, but saved up to go again this spring.
Going to catch the silvers running hopefully and also get into some trout.

I’ll be fishing the Kenai River
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 02:12 PM

That has to be an awesome adventure, have fun share pictures up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
That has to be an awesome adventure, have fun share pictures up

X2....got to get up there.....
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 02:27 PM

I would love to fish Alaska

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 02:46 PM

Thanks guys.
I took my son in 2017 for a graduation trip
We drove all over the Kenai Peninsula
Spent 3 days in Homer and caught Halibut and Cod

This time we are going after salmon
Also going to Seward a fee days

You meet all kinds of people there.
Alot of stories where they came up to vacation and went home and sold everything and moved there!

What's nice is there is only 500k people in the whole state and about half of them live in Anchorage
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 03:09 PM

Have a great time. I’ve always wanted to go.

Do you go with a guide?

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Have a great time. I’ve always wanted to go.

Do you go with a guide?

Last time we only hired a charter for the day.
It's about the only way to go for Halibut

The rest of the trip we did on our own. Hiking to glaciers that type of thing really didnt cost much

This time we are staying 3 out of 7 days at a lodge on the Kenai River
2 -8 hr days of guided salmon fishing , everything provided

The rest of the trip will just be exploring and hiking in different areas like Seward

I go in late May to avoid people
Some of the cities get cruise ships in starting in early June
Posted By: Western

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 06:13 PM

It would be hard to leave a place that makes a photo like that (until winter grin)

I have a cousin that moved up there somewhere off that river iirc from what I have heard from my uncle, they plan to die up there they like it so much.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 06:36 PM

The wife and I plan on doing a week or so in Denali and possibly a cruise back down the inner passage ... hopefully summer of 2020.

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 06:44 PM

The thing I hate the most is the flight time
Nearly 8 hrs from DFW into Anchorage with a stop in Washington or Oregon
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 07:34 PM

Beautiful we want to go one of these days. I'm a Professional Land Surveyor in the State of Alaska LS #4672 but have never been.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/18/19 11:09 PM

Glorious picture! up
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/19/19 01:20 AM

I have fished the Kenia a few times, it is awesome, and the earlier the better. It can be combat fishing in late June.
Bad weather in the bay canceled our halibut trip once. It forced us to scramble, so we flew out on a puddle jumper up into the mountains. We landed on a small river that was just big enough for the plane. We caught our limit of silvers up there. The must beautiful fishing that I have ever done.

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/19/19 02:52 AM

One of the things I admire about the place is that if you are minding your own business, nobody seems to care what you are doing and just leaves you alone unless you ask for help.
We pulled the rented suv down on the beach at low tide in Homer and sat there and ate lunch and kicked back in the nice ocean breeze and salt air and took a nap and there were people up on the spit and walking around but nobody bothers you.
Heck, when I get fast food and go pull under a shade tree in a city park to eat and some cop has to come up behind me and ask me what I’m doing there. It’s just like you can’t do anything without someone getting in your business.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/19/19 02:57 AM

Nice Alaska is one of the few things on my bucket list.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/19/19 04:29 AM

I did Ketchikan with my better half a couple years back and really enjoyed it. Plan on heading back in a year or two with more family in tow. Everyone should do an Alaska trip at least once in their life. up

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/19/19 12:46 PM

^^^^^^
Agreed
Posted By: RayB

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/19/19 01:21 PM

I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright in Fairbanks, the summers make the winters barrable, The mosquitos, try to ruin the summers but bug spray lessens the problem laugh
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/19/19 02:51 PM

I go about every 3-4 years and fish for silvers and rainbows. I go up about 100 miles north of Anchorage and get a cabin or VRBO and self-guide. Cheap trip (airfare is almost 1/2 the cost) for a lot of fishing and a lot of fish!

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/20/19 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
I go about every 3-4 years and fish for silvers and rainbows. I go up about 100 miles north of Anchorage and get a cabin or VRBO and self-guide. Cheap trip (airfare is almost 1/2 the cost) for a lot of fishing and a lot of fish!

I've seen guys fly into Anchorage and literally get right on a float plane (the lake where the float planes land it right by the airport) and take off to a remote cabin and not spend any time in town.
We like to fly in and get a couple of foam coolers at Walmart and stock up on things to help save money eating out and then we hit the road and leave town.

I love sitting on the shore and watching those pilots take off and there is a short dirt strip right behind the lake.
If you want to see some piloting skills, look up STOL (Short Take Off & Landings) competitions they have for the bush pilots
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/20/19 02:41 PM

Fished Kenai as a young adult, LOVED IT. Beautiful place, TONS of great fish if you get their during the run. Caught a 70lb king on the Kenai with Big Dog's Guide Service as well. Congrats in the prior trip and I hope you have a blast on the upcoming trip.
Posted By: Ihunt

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/20/19 03:37 PM

Take the train from Anchorage to Seward. Takes a little longer to get there but it's worth it, the scenery is fantastic.

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/20/19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ihunt
Take the train from Anchorage to Seward. Takes a little longer to get there but it's worth it, the scenery is fantastic.

Cant do that really
Driving from Anchorage to fish about half way between there and Homer
Then driving to Seward from there
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Going back to Alaska - 02/21/19 10:00 AM

On our bucket list when the wife retires next year: Fly to new York and catch a train that goes to Seattle. Then a boat that goes to Alaska.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum