Texas Hunting Forum

The Outpost possible complaint

Posted By: freeonfreak

The Outpost possible complaint - 10/23/22 06:11 PM

This was my first and only time getting taxidermy done.
On 12/05/2020 I was fortunate to bag a huge, beautiful bobcat, worth keeping, that I didn’t blow out the hide on, and with a bow.

I understand that the freeze backed up lots of taxidermy work. But nearly two years later for only a tanned hide is a little excessive IMO.

I’ve called and spoke to them at least 6 times and all I keep getting is a ridiculous excuse about the freeze. My friend had a buck mounted from the same season and same taxidermist but got his back this summer. Lemme know if I’m out of line. Don’t wanna ruin someone’s reputation but I’m also looking out for something I worked hard for.

Attached is the proof.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 0FDE50C7-77F3-412C-9437-98A7EB265DC4.jpeg
Attached picture F6B68B1B-14F6-4939-A5AA-E6AF0A0C65CB.jpeg
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 10/23/22 06:27 PM

That’s BS, I’ve killed numerous animals and had them mounted and back in my possession since you killed that one. If the taxi can’t at least do a 12 month turn around he needs to hire more help or stop taking so much stuff in IMO. I’ve been screwed by more than one taxidermist so I have about a quarter inch of leeway with them until they earn my trust but If they haven’t done anything with it in 2 years it probably has freezer burn by now anyway but for a simple tanned hide I’d be leaning more towards the cape is MIA. I’d be asking for it back and a full refund and you’ll probably find out what’s going on pretty quick.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 10/23/22 10:33 PM

Learn to skin and flesh your hides, bobcats are pretty easy actually. Flesh it , dry it and send it off to Moyle Mink and Tannery, $36.50 and they do nice work.
I would personally have it tanned cased and not as a rug, you will get the nice spotted belly intact that way.

Sorry for your problems but the hide may still be fine if frozen right.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 10/24/22 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Learn to skin and flesh your hides, bobcats are pretty easy actually. Flesh it , dry it and send it off to Moyle Mink and Tannery, $36.50 and they do nice work.
I would personally have it tanned cased and not as a rug, you will get the nice spotted belly intact that way.

Sorry for your problems but the hide may still be fine if frozen right.

Note-- if you want to send your Bobcat hide to Moyle Mink you will need to get a CITES tag to send it out of state...

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 10/31/22 09:42 PM

Still no callback or email response.

People, beware!

Voicemail is full to both numbers.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/01/22 04:53 AM

From what I found they’ve moved to Wichita Falls, good luck.
Posted By: WildThings

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/01/22 05:27 AM

Not taking any sides but here's some info. If that came to me all my hides go to a tannery instead of tanning in house. That being said I just took a housecat to my tannery in September to get it done full soft back hide. I was quoted an 8–10-month turnaround. Usually, it's 2-3 and sometimes 4-5. They were crates stacked wall to wall and ceiling high in there. These were all items that were backed up due to international shipping problems for the last year and all started showing up. I don't keep all my eggs in one basket so to speak and checked with a couple other tanners and found their TA times were comparable.

Received a grey fox in yesterday for tanning and explained to them the situation. They informed me they just got back a red stag shdr mount that was over 2 years since the tannery had it for almost 9 months. Glad I'm mostly (~95%) only doing birds.

Just a little FYI

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/03/22 08:32 PM

I so managed to briefly speak to a guy there. He says, "lemme dig thru my books and i'll call you back shortly".

No callback and it sounds like he lost it. What do I do?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/04/22 12:20 AM

they suck
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/04/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by freeonfreak
I so managed to briefly speak to a guy there. He says, "lemme dig thru my books and i'll call you back shortly".

No callback and it sounds like he lost it. What do I do?

Make a visit in person.

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/04/22 12:32 AM

They moved from Aubrey to Wichita Falls. Now it’s a 2 hour drive.

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/12/22 04:53 PM

So finally talked to the Taxi. Got a different response now: the freeze and COVID lost him several tanners. He sent sent it to another tanner and still doesn’t know when it’ll be done. This is a crappy first-time experience. Doubt I’ll ever get taxi done again.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 11/15/22 08:41 PM

Sorry about your experience, if you are looking to get some cat work done in the future, I took mine to Alpine in FT Worth and thought they did a really nice job. I had seen so many screwed up faces (did a full mount) but the cats in there shop looked good and mine came out great.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 12/01/22 03:12 AM

I shot a big bobcat in the Panhandle last Dec and had it done as a flat skin. I got it back in Sept so you're talking 8-9 months. 2 years is ridiculous.
Posted By: huntin4fun

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 01/22/23 02:36 AM

They have had a turkey fan of mine for 2.5 years and I finally stopped asking about it. Wouldn't be a big deal but it was a Goulds from Mexico and they made me pay for it in full when I dropped it off.

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 06/25/23 05:58 PM

So update.....Still no bobcat! He never calls me back when he says he will and till this date I still haven't got a follow up call.

DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!

Next step is blast them on Face Book with all the details.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 06/27/23 03:42 AM

What good will that do?
Posted By: Wytex

Re: The Outpost possible complaint - 06/27/23 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bee'z
What good will that do?

It will let the general public know how he conducts business and many times that is all it takes to get a response. Publicly calling out his ethics might get a response too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum