Texas Hunting Forum

Euro Question

Posted By: DonPablo

Euro Question - 03/16/21 03:09 AM

I'm wanting to do an open-mouth euro with a Javi I killed and am looking for tips. I know some glue 'em but I worry that I'll end up with the mouth opened too much or not enough and will be stuck with a permanent mistake. Any of y'all wire them open? If so, what's the process and is it adjustable after the fact?

Re: Euro Question - 03/18/21 06:36 PM

OK, after looking through 50 pages on the taxidermy.net forum I found that most people glue. Found nothing on wiring them or anything adjustable after the fact. I may do some brainstorming before I give up and glue. confused2
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Euro Question - 03/18/21 08:58 PM

How are you going to mount it, table top, wall, etc?
Posted By: intohunting

Re: Euro Question - 03/18/21 11:05 PM

Use 5 minute epoxy on each side of the jaw hinge where it pivots. It will not be adjustable. Pic below shows a good representation of mouth opening and a link for a plaque.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://pedernalesoutdoors.com/Display%20Plaques.html
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Euro Question - 03/20/21 07:40 PM

The jaw can be made movable, not sure how it was done, but I saw some at an accountants office. He had them made up with strings like a puppet, so the the jaw moved as if it was talking. He was also a ventriloquist, add in a few beers and his skulls was hilarious. Best I remember he had a deer head, a coyote, a bobcat and cow head. How was it done? I have no clue.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Euro Question - 03/21/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by intohunting
Use 5 minute epoxy on each side of the jaw hinge where it pivots. It will not be adjustable. Pic below shows a good representation of mouth opening and a link for a plaque.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://pedernalesoutdoors.com/Display%20Plaques.html

Looks great

Re: Euro Question - 03/21/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Southtexas36
How are you going to mount it, table top, wall, etc?

I want to put it on a skull hooker.

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Looks great

^X2

Re: Euro Question - 04/09/21 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by "donpablo, post: 2846956, member: 9947"
OK, I did some brainstorming and came up with an idea. If I held the jaw in position and drilled through the skull and jaw where they connected with a 1/16" drill bit, I could use a 1/16 Allen wrench and maybe a little silicone to hold the jaw in place. If I didn't like how it came out, I could change the position and re-drill using the original holes in the skull so that the jaw would have a couple different sets of holes for different possible positions. This is what I have done so far. I used drill bits as I'm waiting on the cheap Allen wrenches I ordered from Amazon:

[Linked Image]

I picked it up and held it from the skull portion and the jaw stayed. I haven't added silicone yet as I will do this with the Allen wrenches. I will likely paint the Allen wrenches white and cut them to the desired length so they are less noticeable.

[Linked Image]

Since this was an experiment, I used an old javelina skull that I didn't take care of just in case. What do y'all think?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum