Texas Hunting Forum

Tanning bobcat at home

Posted By: RGLass

Tanning bobcat at home - 01/21/20 08:46 PM

I have skinned and fleshed my bobcat hide. Wondering what is the best thing to do next. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Tanning bobcat at home - 01/21/20 09:59 PM

Did you case it out or skin it for a rug?
You might want to turn the ears , remove the cartilage.
Are you just getting it tanned ? We stretch ours and dry them then send them to Moyle for tanning. They charge $33 and you need the CITES tag, you'll need that for shipping it out of Texas for tanning, don't need it for in state work on the hide .
You can freeze it til you decide what to do, roll it up fur out and put in a bag to freeze.

Re: Tanning bobcat at home - 01/21/20 10:18 PM

Skinned it flat like rug. Wife wants to tan it ourselves. I rolled it and put in freezer for now. Boiling skull tomorrow. Wondering if we should use borax/alum or order tanning kit.
Posted By: breadman

Re: Tanning bobcat at home - 01/21/20 11:41 PM

utube is your friend for beginner home tanning. lots of examples for you. I used the alum process many times and it worked well for me . now I use a product called krotan .
Posted By: WildThings

Re: Tanning bobcat at home - 01/22/20 06:03 AM

Watch Brian Hendricks' Bobcat youtube series Bobcat: Freezer to Finish
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: Tanning bobcat at home - 01/23/20 01:40 AM

Order one of the tanning kits from mckenzie supply, follow the instructions and the results are generally good, cats and tanning can be tricky, I would definatly practice on something that wouldn't hurt your feelings first.
DC
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Tanning bobcat at home - 01/23/20 08:40 PM

I tanned one in college, about 12 years ago now. My wife doesn't like it so I gave it to a buddy who is single so that it wouldn't have to be in a box anymore. Still looks great. Believe I used one of the McKenzie kits.

Re: Tanning bobcat at home - 01/24/20 01:40 AM

Thanks! The skull boiled out nicely. Still deciding on which tanning method to use.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum