Texas Hunting Forum

Greasy hog skull

Posted By: CharlieCTx

Greasy hog skull - 11/08/19 04:18 PM

I had a hog Euro done by a place near Graham (forgot the name), that's on the way to my lease. Got it back and the skull was still kind of greasy in a few spots, brought it back where they complained about how hard they were to do, had boiled this one for x hours long, quack, quack quack... They reluctantly took it back, boiled it again, but it's still greasy in a few spots on the jaw. Since I'm going to try finishing it with something (I have some skulls to practice/try things on) I need to get it dry.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Charlie
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/08/19 04:34 PM

Soap is an excellent degreaser. It’s a good application for all those small soap bars you get from hotels. Eliminates the odor while boiling and doesn’t make a foamy mess. Good luck.
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/08/19 06:03 PM

You can boil pig skulls for days, if you don't decrease, you're wasting your time.
I submerge mine after there're boiled and degreased in industrial strength degreaser for up to a month sometimes, or however long it takes.
Never had a problem, now they know, sorry you had to go through the trouble.
DC
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/12/19 01:16 AM

Zep industrial purple is the best degreaser I have found. Use gloves will pull the oil from your hands!
Posted By: Mwhuntfish

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/12/19 02:22 AM

Dawn liquid dish soap is a great degreaser too
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/12/19 02:23 AM

I have always boiled hog skulls slowly for a few hours with a few squirts of Dawn, I will turn on the pot and just walk away and go do something else. Then I boil for about ten minutes in regular old store bought hydrogen peroxide. I have never had a greasy skull.
Maybe our pigs are the non-greasy variety.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/21/19 11:50 PM

I boil/simmer with a combination of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent and Dawn dish soap. Does a good job of cleaning and degreasing.
Posted By: supersampson12

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/27/19 01:47 AM

Simmer in peroxide but be careful it will destroy the bone. Check every 15 min. Rinse in clean water after.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Greasy hog skull - 11/27/19 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
I boil/simmer with a combination of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent and Dawn dish soap. Does a good job of cleaning and degreasing.

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum