Texas Hunting Forum

How Long Would You Wait?

Posted By: noname124398

How Long Would You Wait? - 09/11/19 10:05 PM

I took 2 geese to get mounted in January 2018 and the taxidermist told me it would take 8-9 months to finish them. It has been over a year and a half and every time I call him he tells me that my birds are coming up next in line to be worked on. How long would you typically wait for a bird mount before getting irritated with your taxidermist? Should I be worried that I won’t ever see these mounts?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: How Long Would You Wait? - 09/11/19 10:11 PM

I'm afraid it's SOP for a whole lotta taxidermists. 'Hard to say which ones are having trouble and which ones just don't have their 5^&* together. "Nature of the breed" as they say.

But I would start calling him more often, reminding him of what he promised when you dropped them off, and telling him "We need to get this done."

You could also post his name on here. This "social media" has gotten things accomplished for me that just calling or texting wouldn't, on more than one occasion.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: How Long Would You Wait? - 09/11/19 11:25 PM

God's Creations Taxidermy has had my bobcat since March 15th......2017. Still waiting on it!!
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: How Long Would You Wait? - 09/12/19 11:31 AM

With rare exception, no excuses for keeping anything over 1 year, I would ask for my birds back, too many good on-time taxidermist out there.
DC
Posted By: HuntinForTail

Re: How Long Would You Wait? - 09/12/19 01:44 PM

If I was told 8-9 months, I would get irritated after 9.5 months. He set the timeline himself. He could have told you 2 years and been on time or delivered it early, but instead he gave you a date that he absolutely knew was unrealistic and continues to lie to you each time you ask for an update. It is a super shady business practice.

As mentioned earlier, it seems to be SOP nowadays. Every time I've run into one of these guys, I don't give them any more business no matter how good their work is. I don't mind waiting 2 years for quality taxidermy, if that is communicated up front. I do mind waiting 2 years when i'm told it will be less than 1.

If I told my boss that I would have something to him in 1 week and I didn't have it ready then, I'd expect him to be irritated at best. If I brought my car to a mechanic and he said it would be ready in 2 weeks, I'd be irritated if it wasn't then.
Posted By: 1bigbill

Re: How Long Would You Wait? - 09/12/19 04:45 PM

I ran my taxidermy bisness for 23 years. I always would give the month it could be picked up. I always had all my work finished on time .Never any carry over. Had all the work I wanted. Just poor management not to. Good luck .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum