Texas Hunting Forum

Downsizing....What to do with Mounts?

Posted By: jmac24

Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/10/19 07:27 PM

My next door neighbor is downsizing to a retirement community and has 20-25 mounts in his current home. Everything is big and scored well. Several axis, mule deer, elk, red stag, tar, chamois, ibex from Spain and numerous from Africa.

He spent years and $$$ accumulating these and has to get rid of them. So my question is... how? Ebay comes to mind, but IF that worked for him it would be local pickup only.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/10/19 08:02 PM

Tman might be interested for his new place.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/11/19 02:01 AM

There’s a guy on Craigslist that’s buys mounts....
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/11/19 02:14 PM

This guy will buy them. He has a shop in Austin and several auctions a year, one in Houston. He's always advertising estate lots.

https://www.taxidermyking.com/
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/12/19 03:47 PM

I'd suggest trying facebook marketplace or craigslist, see if there's any new ranches around you that are looking to furnish them

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/12/19 11:51 PM

He got in touch with a company out of Missouri, Lollis Bros, that also does auctions and comes and picks them up. We will see what happens.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/13/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by jmac24
He got in touch with a company out of Missouri, Lollis Bros, that also does auctions and comes and picks them up. We will see what happens.

Thanks for the name. up I printed off their "Contact Us" page and I'll file it in the Life Insurance folder. Whenever I see any kind of taxidermy buying contact information, I try to do that 'cause I know some will go out of business. Seems morbid, I know, but I'm also not so arrogant to believe my kids are just gonna fall all over themselves to get my taxidermy in their home. I've had to deal with a whole lotta stuff left by family that's passed with absolutely no idea initially how to get rid of it other than throw it in a dumpster. 'Striving to leave my kids a valuable gift I think - simplicity.

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/13/19 08:13 PM

I was a little off on the count, he ended up with a list of 30 mounts for them to assess. And he kept about a half dozen for himself!! Lots of good memories on the walls....
Posted By: BubRay

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/14/19 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by jmac24
I was a little off on the count, he ended up with a list of 30 mounts for them to assess. And he kept about a half dozen for himself!! Lots of good memories on the walls....

That’s a tough deal.
Posted By: Denton44

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/18/19 07:26 AM

Those mounts are memories. My wife and I completed our estate planning last year and the thought of our mounts came up. My daughter in law salivates at the thought of sawing the antlers and giving them to their dogs. Bass Pro and Cabellas will take some if they have space. We're looking at restaurants where the mounts will contribute to their atmosphere. My father in law's mounts ended up in the trash bin. Look to outdoor type restaurants that will take them so the memories live on.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/18/19 11:57 PM

I accept donations....... popcorn
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/22/19 06:23 PM

Too bad they don't have family that can take them and continue the legacy through the mounts. When my uncle passed away in '98 I made sure that someone kept all of his old fishing and hunting pictures from the 50s and 60s. When I was a kid, and we'd visit him and my aunt, I'd always sit on his couch and take out the old picture albums. I could look at those old pictures all afternoon. It was like looking into a time machine. Nothing like seeing a string 20 redfish, all over 40".
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/22/19 10:05 PM

If you are just looking for a good home, you could donate them to the local high school science classes, they make great room decor in a science class.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Downsizing....What to do with Mounts? - 03/24/19 01:45 AM

I would think someone would want them for a good use. I like the idea of the highscool class. Mounts are a thing of beauty and should be displayed for people to enjoy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum