Texas Hunting Forum

Taxi Law Suit

Posted By: Denton44

Taxi Law Suit - 02/02/19 08:02 AM

Anyone ever have to file a law suit against a Taxidermist? I get one excuse after another from a 2017 hunt. Drop off said 6 to 10 months. Then, hides aren't back, we do Axis deer last, wrong bases came in and so on. Hunt cost us $8,000 for the two nicest trophies we've ever taken. Even if we recoup what we spent plus attorney fees, it will be difficult to replicate the animals we took. Both Axis. Mine weighed upwards of 240 lbs. My wife's around 210. Beautiful racks on both.
Posted By: Heavy T

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/02/19 02:20 PM

GOOD LUCK
Lost a red fox several years ago that way. You didn't mention if you had used the shop before. Now I use Damuth in Brady.
Posted By: BubRay

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/02/19 03:09 PM

I’d have your attorney draft and send him a letter first. That may be all you need to really grab his attention. If that doesn’t work I’d proceed with filing. Sorry you are dealing with this.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/02/19 10:34 PM

I had the same problem with a fish mount. I had the sheriff make a courtesy call and had my fish within 48 hrs.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/02/19 10:42 PM

Sounds like about 50% of them. The other 50% are true artists and also know how to run a business.
Posted By: Redhead1

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/02/19 11:12 PM

Don’t blow this off!! A draft from an attorney is not expensive. Then I would go to your district attorney’s office. That is what we pay taxes for, this is criminal. These kind of businessmen give us good taxidermists a bad name! I hear customers all the time complaining about some con job. Nearly all leave it go! I ship mounts all over the country, if I have a complaint or a problem I fix it....even if it were in Virginia!!! Good luck!!!!!

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/03/19 07:30 AM

Yes. Have used them for years. Always quality work. Have had six mounts and a hide worked there. We've always had our mounts at the seven month point. Ownership changed and it's just dragging on. Dropped off for processing in 2017. Now 2019 with no ETA. Here's a pic for what I'm waiting for. For scale, I'm right next to it, I'm 6 ft, weigh 260 lbs with 3 layers of hunting clothes on. He's a big boy. I have a team of Estate Attorneys on contract for life. They can direct me in the proper direction. Probably a Business Attorney. Hopefully, it won't come to that. [Linked Image]

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/03/19 07:40 AM

No way I'll blow this off. Money for attorneys is not an issue.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/03/19 02:22 PM

That is a biggo axis.
I do not know if you have given this taxidermist any money yet, but is it possible to get the antlers and hides back?
Maybe another taxidermist could finish it up for you?
If this business is run badly as it sounds, that may be all you get anyways, when they go out of business.

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/04/19 08:42 AM

This is a large processing/taxi outfit. They are not going to go out of business based on their increasing demand. Seems I keep getting pushed down the line for some reason. I hope it doesn't come to litigation. It is a last resort. There was an agreement made, It's on their papers with their name and my signature. Just looking for others who have experienced this.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/04/19 07:41 PM

I did once. It worked.

But me being an attorney helped. It’s almost certainly not going to be worth the effort from an economic standpoint but it may be the only way to get your animals back.

Good luck!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/05/19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
I did once. It worked.

But me being an attorney helped. It’s almost certainly not going to be worth the effort from an economic standpoint but it may be the only way to get your animals back.

Good luck!

I would contact this guy ^^^^^^^.
grin
Posted By: bear64

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/05/19 02:12 AM

here is another dynamic to this problem. a few years ago i killed a whitetail buck here on kentuckys opening morning of muzzleloader season. he was a very good buck that scored 161, but the score wasnt what made him a trophy, on his left side he had 3 main beams, a trophy of a lifetime for me. i took him to a taxi i had used in the past and had absolutely zero worries at the time. i knew i would probably wait about a year to get my mount back and this was fine with me.
a year came and went , a year and a half came and went and no word from the taxi. i decided to call and the phone was disconnected..i was somewhat worried so i decided to make the hour drive and check on things.
when i arrived the property was empty and grown up and now im very worried.
i started to investigate and found out the taxi had been arrested and was currently serving time for drug trafficking.
of course with him in jail and his family gone to who knew where the utilities had been cut off and you can imagine what kind of shape those deep freezers were in after weeks of not working.
thankfully another customer that had knowledge of the situation was able to secure all the antlers of the deer that were left there. i was able to contact the man and upon showing him photos of me and my deer he was glad to meet me and give me my horns.
ive had several deer mounted since then and i use a very reputable and very public taxi that has become a good friend over time.
long story short (i know too lat lol) some of these guys are suspect in more ways than we know.
sorry you are dealing with this, its horrible

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/05/19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by bear64
thankfully another customer that had knowledge of the situation was able to secure all the antlers of the deer that were left there. i was able to contact the man and upon showing him photos of me and my deer he was glad to meet me and give me my horns.

Wow. Talk about a Good Samaritan. up
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/07/19 04:51 AM

Wait....you paid $8,000 to shoot 2 axis?

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/07/19 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by GravyWheels

I said the hunt cost about $8,000. Travel, hunt, quartering, skinning and lodging. How many outfitters/ranches offer Axis that hit 240 lbs and actually take care of their clients?
Three days, two nights all meals provided. The ranches we hunt offer Trophy Stag, Trophy Whitetail, Trophy Fallow, Trophy Blackbuck and so on. Cost isn't an issue for us. Which is why attorney fees aren't an issue as well. If your asking me to smear it in, then fine, I can wipe my [censored] on $100 bills and not even miss it. Go scrounge around if its all you can afford.
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/07/19 08:51 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/07/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Denton44

I said the hunt cost about $8,000. Travel, hunt, quartering, skinning and lodging. How many outfitters/ranches offer Axis that hit 240 lbs and actually take care of their clients?
Three days, two nights all meals provided. The ranches we hunt offer Trophy Stag, Trophy Whitetail, Trophy Fallow, Trophy Blackbuck and so on. Cost isn't an issue for us. Which is why attorney fees aren't an issue as well. If your asking me to smear it in, then fine, I can wipe my [censored] on $100 bills and not even miss it. Go scrounge around if its all you can afford.

Wow.

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/07/19 01:32 PM

Proof that money cannot buy class (if true).
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/07/19 03:29 PM

Hell, he probably screwed you over because you're a Richard.
Posted By: EmergencyDoc

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/07/19 06:09 PM

That went south quickly!

Would be cheaper to go hunt a trophy axis than to pay attorneys fees, but that’s just me...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 12:00 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 12:35 AM

I’ll bet he shoots spikes inside HF with a .223 too. bolt

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 07:51 AM

Ask a legit question and as soon as the poor, trash hunters on a "budget", that can barely afford a rifle, find out someone can afford luxury hunts whenever they wish, they have to go and get tacky. I hunt high fence, so what. 1400 acres of thick woods with 300 open plain is still a challenge for someone that uses a cane to get around. What is really funny is the intellectual level of some on forums. I see it all the time on hunting and fishing forums. They all judge someones experience and knowledge with the number of posts they have. Oh, this guy has 12,000 posts, he knows it all. This guy has 12 posts, he's an idiot, so lets have at him. Then you have the outfitters, some legit, some not. "Oh look at the Stag I can offer". "Drive to West TX, one day only". $4,500 no guarantee. "Pay Pal the cash up front". "No guarantee, your on your own with field care". No thanks from me. I'll take a quality hunt over its an all I can afford hunt any day. Save your pennies and be patient. Maybe when your in your 60's, after you've worked and sacrificed all your life maybe you'll have enough money to do these hunts. You'll understand if you ever get there. If your young and expect in now, maybe you should be voting Democrat.
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 12:15 PM

Ask a legit question and as soon as the poor, trash hunters on a "budget", that can barely afford a rifle, find out someone can afford luxury hunts whenever they wish, they have to go and get tacky. I hunt high fence, so what. 1400 acres of thick woods with 300 open plain is still a challenge for someone that uses a cane to get around. What is really funny is the intellectual level of some on forums. I see it all the time on hunting and fishing forums. They all judge someones experience and knowledge with the number of posts they have. Oh, this guy has 12,000 posts, he knows it all. This guy has 12 posts, he's an idiot, so lets have at him. Then you have the outfitters, some legit, some not. "Oh look at the Stag I can offer". "Drive to West TX, one day only". $4,500 no guarantee. "Pay Pal the cash up front". "No guarantee, your on your own with field care". No thanks from me. I'll take a quality hunt over its an all I can afford hunt any day. Save your pennies and be patient. Maybe when your in your 60's, after you've worked and sacrificed all your life maybe you'll have enough money to do these hunts. You'll understand if you ever get there. If your young and expect in now, maybe you should be voting Democrat.

Hey man...YOU are the one who “went there”

[Linked Image]

There was no need for you do say that, so go look in the mirror if you want to blame someone for how we perceive you

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 01:21 PM

I can wipe my [censored] on $100 bills and not even miss it.

Oh no, that's not tacky at all. You're sounding like what they call "new money."

If you need "a team of Estate Attorneys on contract," you're doing it wrong.

And the rack on that axis is not worth litigation.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 07:43 PM

If you have a team of attorneys, refer to them and not us.

If you don’t care about money, buy your own ranch. A buddy of mine bought a 8000 acre ranch and has people to take care of these issues for him.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 07:48 PM

LOL
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I can wipe my [censored] on $100 bills and not even miss it.

You're sounding like what they call "new money."

Yep, probably never worked for a dime of it!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:20 PM

wow, great thread!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:21 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05
LOL

clap roflmao
Posted By: Erny

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:39 PM

This thread got good quick!!!
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:43 PM

I’ve heard bills are hell on a septic system! bolt
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:45 PM

I bet your septic guy pumps your tank for free.

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:47 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:51 PM

Post of the year?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Post of the year?

It will be in top 10
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 08:59 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Espy

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:03 PM

[quote=Denton44] I can wipe my [censored] on $100 bills and not even miss it.

Bill Gates ?
Posted By: Clintp

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:08 PM

Hate to tell you, but that’s not a trophy axis lol.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:09 PM

I would stop by and kindly ask them for your cape and antlers back. If they say your cape is at the tannery, be sure to get the antlers. The cape can always be replaced. Once you have the antlers, you can decide to get a new cape with a new taxidermist that you trust. Or you can give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for your cape, but at least you will have the antlers if they have a fire or decide to skip town.

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clintp
Hate to tell you, but that’s not a trophy axis lol.

I’d hit it . . . . . up
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:13 PM

Prolly shot it at CA new HF 24 acre petting zoo
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:13 PM

Ask a legit question and as soon as the poor, trash hunters on a "budget", that can barely afford a rifle, find out someone can afford luxury hunts whenever they wish, they have to go and get tacky. I hunt high fence, so what. 1400 acres of thick woods with 300 open plain is still a challenge for someone that uses a cane to get around. What is really funny is the intellectual level of some on forums. I see it all the time on hunting and fishing forums. They all judge someones someone's experience and knowledge with the number of posts they have. Oh, this guy has 12,000 posts, he knows it all. This guy has 12 posts, he's an idiot, so lets let's have at him. Then you have the outfitters, some legit, some not. "Oh look at the Stag I can offer". "Drive to West TX, one day only". $4,500 no guarantee. "Pay Pal the cash up front". "No guarantee, your you're on your own with field care". No thanks from me. I'll take a quality hunt over its it's an all I can afford hunt any day. Save your pennies and be patient. Maybe when your you're in your 60's, after you've worked and sacrificed all your life maybe you'll have enough money to do these hunts. You'll understand if you ever get there. If your you're young and expect in now, maybe you should be voting Democrat.

nope... I can assure you we don't judge by the number of posts you have.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:19 PM

And the rack on that axis is not worth litigation.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:24 PM

...I can wipe my [censored] on $100 bills and not even miss it.

If you're so money then why bother with a law suit over a piddly 8 Gs?!

Sorry about your bad experience.

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:42 PM

$8000 to shoot an animal on HF ranch to hang it on top of your fireplace to bragg your friends about how bada$$ you are.

Typical
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
$8000 to shoot an animal on HF ranch to hang it on top of your fireplace to bragg your friends about how bada$$ you are.

Typical

Actually it was two.....
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 09:51 PM

My experience is the people that flex the most have the least to flex about.
My bet is credit card and pre-paid legal.....
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 10:00 PM

Gonna have to see a W2..... popcorn

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chopped54
My experience is the people that flex the most have the least to flex about.
My bet is credit card and pre-paid legal.....

I would say, a combo of both: pre-paid debitcard
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

Wow.

This may be the second time I have agreed with NP.

PS... That is one of the smallest axis racks I have seen posted on this forum regardless of hunts price. Looks like you got taken on the hunt, then on the taxidermy. In my little experience, people that get take so often rarely have a $100, much less wipe their rears with them.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 10:30 PM

This guy may buy THF and ban us all rofl
Posted By: Judd

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 10:53 PM

If all you're going to do is wipe your [censored] with them let me send you send you a stack of singles and you send me your toilet paper. You're [censored] nor [censored] will know the difference. rofl

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 10:59 PM

In June last year, someone won the powerball at the same gasstation where Richard resides.
Just saying.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Taxi Law Suit - 02/08/19 11:05 PM

Personally, I like the way you do business. The next time you want to go on an axis hunt send me a PM. I’ll take care of you and we’ll do a turnkey Hunt with taxidermy service included and I’ll guarantee you get your mounts back. A man of your means should also have a trophy elk, sable, blackbuck, wildebeest, fallow, and whatever else I can find on the ranch to put on your wall. Don’t get discouraged by the bashing on THF. You know the value of a great hunt!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum