Texas Hunting Forum

Drying velvet antlers

Posted By: hawk

Drying velvet antlers - 05/03/18 04:09 PM

So, I took an axis in velvet. My taxi sends his velvet to be freeze dried to a shop in Kerrville. Other option was to leave the antlers in his freezer for 9 or 10 months to dry them. Will this work okay? Wait time is longer, but price is much lower. Thanks!
Posted By: General Guts

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/03/18 04:19 PM

Put them in the dryer on low non-cotton setting for 30 min ...
Posted By: don k

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/03/18 04:32 PM

We used to inject them at numerous places with phenol or carbolic acid to cure the velvet.

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/03/18 04:41 PM

Yes, he said they would inject and freeze them for 9 or 10 months. $150 less than sending off to be freeze dried. I don't mind the wait as long as it works well.
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/03/18 05:52 PM

your taxidermist made the best suggestion, freeze-dry is the best way, you should treat them for bugs occasionally.
DC

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/03/18 06:43 PM

DC, I do understand freeze dry is quickest and best. But if he does it by freezing in his vault, and injecting, will the end product be good?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/03/18 09:21 PM

Had my Axis injected to cure as don K said. Had it back in 3 months. This was 4 years ago and it is holding up fine. A gentle dusting every month or so. Looks great!
Posted By: mreed

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/05/18 01:50 PM

I shot a spike still in velvet back in late December. I thought it was neat so I cut his skull cap, wrapped the antlers in cling wrap then foil, and zip tied at the base to keep from boiling the velvet, then boiled and cleaned the skull cap. After that I used acetone to dry out the antlers by soaking in a 5gallon bucket and injecting it into the antlers then hung to dry out. So far it seems to be working but, they weren’t trophy antlers they were just a fun project. I got the information from watching a YouTube channel called whitebone creations
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/05/18 08:03 PM

Yes.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Drying velvet antlers - 05/10/18 07:00 PM

I have an archery killed mule deer mount that was injected by a novice taxidermist at the time. It is over 30 years old now and still looks the same as the day I shot it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum