Texas Hunting Forum

Fish mounting

Posted By: DWADR

Fish mounting - 05/01/18 10:40 PM

I assume the taxidermist’s on the hunting forum know about mounting fish as well. I have some huge crappie in one of my lakes that I fish that I want to get mounted. A friend told me the other day that you actually don’t mount the actual fish anymore that you take measurements and they are made for you. Is this correct?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Fish mounting - 05/02/18 12:14 AM

Depends if you want a skin or replica mount done. If you want to release the fish then replica is the way to go. If you keep it then a skin mount is possible. The replicas will last forever while the skin mounts can deteriorate over time.
Posted By: Barasingha

Re: Fish mounting - 05/02/18 01:19 AM

I caught a nice Bluegill in LA when I lived there. I wanted a skin mount. It took a little more looking and was a little more expensive, but if that is what you want, places can be found. Unfortunately I don’t know anywhere here in TX.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Fish mounting - 05/02/18 04:25 AM

Catch, measure and release. Have replicas made 2cents
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Fish mounting - 05/02/18 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Catch, measure and release. Have replicas made 2cents

up
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Fish mounting - 05/03/18 03:30 AM

In addition to taking measurements, Take photos of your fish to help the taxidermist recreate the fish you caught.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Fish mounting - 05/03/18 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Pappybear
In addition to taking measurements, Take photos of your fish to help the taxidermist recreate the fish you caught.

Very good point.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Fish mounting - 05/03/18 02:09 PM

replica mounts look better than skin mounts if done by a pro artist
Posted By: DWADR

Re: Fish mounting - 05/03/18 10:02 PM

What kind of prices am I looking out doing a replica mount?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Fish mounting - 05/04/18 12:09 AM

Replica mounts for fish are the way to go. Why? Unlike deer, the skin has to be painted over anyway. And the skin still has to go on a form, so the right form that mimics the size/shape of the fish must be found anyway - just like with a replica. So the skin/fins really mean nothing.

Plus they last longer.

Make good photos and measurements. It’s been a while since I had any done, seems like $400-500 was the price. I used Lake Fork Taxidermy. I was really happy with one mount they did and not so thrilled with another. It’s all about the skill of the particular artist and their detail in actually re-creating your exact fish rather than just doing a generic one on a generic form.

This one I was very pleased with:

This one not so much, the colors were dull and listless, not to mention the colored dots on a brownie are orange, not maroon (maybe the artist was an Aggie) confused2 :

Posted By: Redhead1

Re: Fish mounting - 05/07/18 10:20 AM

It is still a customers choice, skin or replica. Even catch and release fish die. Good quality skin mounts last lifetimes+. I carve almost all my own bodies and paint from your pictures so I don't order bodies nor paint from schedules. Skin mounts are becoming a dying art. There are so many molders popping up and availability of replicas is everywhere. I use many! Try and find a form for a gar, bowfin or gaspergoo.....the bow guys appreciate carved bodies!

Posted By: BrangusVA

Re: Fish mounting - 05/09/18 03:25 PM

I still need to get down to Temple with my Rainbow

Re: Fish mounting - 03/04/19 12:10 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This sailfish came my way from a member here. His grandfathers fish fell off the wall from
@15’. It was a mess, but turned out pretty good after some tender loving care! New eyes, bill and tail and a urathane
filling to keep her together.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Fish mounting - 03/04/19 12:36 AM

That Crappie looks fantastic!!!

Re: Fish mounting - 03/07/19 10:26 PM

Thanks!!!!!
Posted By: oldstyle244

Re: Fish mounting - 03/08/19 06:48 PM

If possible, I would go look at one first and then decide. We went fishing last year and i caught a very big dolphin fish, the captain talked me into using a certain large company out of Florida. It was VERY expensive and when I got it, i wasn't overly excited about it. It looks like a fake fish on the wall and when i try and compare the pics of the fish and what I received, I don't think they really looked at my fish, they probably just sent me the same on they send everyone else.

Re: Fish mounting - 03/10/19 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldstyle244
If possible, I would go look at one first and then decide. We went fishing last year and i caught a very big dolphin fish, the captain talked me into using a certain large company out of Florida. It was VERY expensive and when I got it, i wasn't overly excited about it. It looks like a fake fish on the wall and when i try and compare the pics of the fish and what I received, I don't think they really looked at my fish, they probably just sent me the same on they send everyone else.

I’ve had several customers tell me the same story. Shipping was not a part of their conversation and that was crazy expensive. It seems that the captains and crew get a cut because they all push for the business.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Fish mounting - 03/10/19 06:28 PM

Mounting them is fairly easy. Painting them requires talent. Get the fish blanks and release or eat the crappie.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Fish mounting - 03/30/19 12:34 AM

Catch, take picture, dump fish back in water and save hundreds by mounting pic in frame on wall. banana2 or dump in secret pond.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Fish mounting - 04/05/19 01:41 PM

You are a true artist. All of your work looks great. I agree, the crappie look perfect. That gar is pretty cool too.

Re: Fish mounting - 04/25/19 02:10 PM

Some recent fish! I do lots of crappie!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Fish mounting - 06/06/19 03:41 AM

Here’s a West Slope cutthroat Bill just finished up for me today - all from just the photo shown I sent him. Pretty dang cool!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum