Texas Hunting Forum

Boar cutters?

Posted By: SapperTitan

Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 04:05 AM

Trying to figure out a creative way to cap the hollow end of a cutter to hang it from a necklace or rear view mirror. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 05:00 AM

Shoot one first... They tend to be pissy if you try to take one from them if they are not dead I hear.

Sorry Sapper roflmao
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 10:20 AM

I've made some of that stuff up for friends, and found that some of that grey epoxy stuff you find in auto parts stores works pretty good. Can't remember the name of the stuff ( haven't had my coffee yet, I guess)...but the grey stuff that comes in a tube where you mix the two putty like compounds together. I've found you really need to fill the inside of the tusk with an epoxy of some type, or eventually they will split as the tusk dries out.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 11:30 AM

Clear epoxy.
Posted By: Single Shot

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 02:18 PM

I think he is talking about J B weld it should work fine.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 02:29 PM

My buddy just asked me the same thing. I think what material to use for the "cap" with some type hole to attach necklace too. I think if you want to pay, a jeweler could fabricate you something.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 03:38 PM

Yeah...Single Shot came through with it...JB Weld ! If you pour a clear epoxy into the tusk and let it harden, and then use the JB Weld for a cap, you can easily drill a hole through the cap to attach it as a necklace or whatever.

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Shoot one first... They tend to be pissy if you try to take one from them if they are not dead I hear.

Sorry Sapper roflmao
what’s the fun in that lol.

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/20/18 07:08 PM

My son wanted a way to hang a cutter so I came up with this. I’m sure there are more creative ways with 550 cord but I had no idea what I was doing.

Posted By: mikei

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/21/18 01:06 AM

That works just fine, Sapper!

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/21/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: mikei
That works just fine, Sapper!
wasn’t happy with the look so I redid the whole thing. I think it looks much better.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Boar cutters? - 04/24/18 01:57 PM

These are the necklaces the boys made a few years ago....I just drilled thru the side and didn't fill them with anything.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Boar cutters? - 05/02/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
My son wanted a way to hang a cutter so I came up with this. I’m sure there are more creative ways with 550 cord but I had no idea what I was doing.

Dont let him run the bases with that thing. It might put an eye out confused2
Posted By: Normanpig

Re: Boar cutters? - 05/03/18 01:54 AM

I can’t get a pic to load today but I soaked a nasty one in poroxide. Jb welded the hole. Then drilled it and ground the jb weld smooth or round. Now my 10 year old nephew gets all the chicks with his sweet necklaces!
Posted By: mreed

Re: Boar cutters? - 05/05/18 01:52 PM

I’d use epoxy and mix in baking soda, maybe, or something to color the epoxy white to fill in the cutter
Posted By: Sus Scrofa

Re: Boar cutters? - 05/09/18 02:03 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Single Shot

Re: Boar cutters? - 06/25/18 02:22 PM

Depends on how fancy or how much you want to spend

http://www.texaswildhoghunting.com/tusk.html
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Boar cutters? - 09/04/18 01:58 AM

Look good in that single cord
Posted By: Okie Newton

Re: Boar cutters? - 09/04/18 09:37 PM

I have a nice tusk from a hog I shot. Can't post pictures though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum