Texas Hunting Forum

Pig Shoulder Mount

Posted By: jrfan

Pig Shoulder Mount - 11/22/17 09:22 PM

Why is a pig mount so expensive? I want one, but I don't to pay $750. I was just curious why they're considerably more than a whitetail shoulder mount.
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 11/22/17 11:28 PM

Just guessing but I bet most people want the cutters showing and mouth open so that's more detail=more money. That and the hide might be harder to tan/flesh out?
Posted By: Huftax

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 11/23/17 04:33 PM

several hours more labor in skinning prepping. Tanning cost and supplies are higher than a deer. We get 895,00
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 11/24/17 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Huftax
several hours more labor in skinning prepping. Tanning cost and supplies are higher than a deer. We get 895,00
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 11/24/17 07:51 PM

If you've ever done a euro on one you would understand some of the cost....
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 11/30/17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
If you've ever done a euro on one you would understand some of the cost....

A lot more work the be done. Harder to skin cause the hide is tougher. Longer boil because of more grease, have to pull teeth and glue them back in.
Posted By: wildsidetaxi

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/03/17 02:20 PM

Yes sir. They are right. There are many hours spent on hide prep to mount one. And the shield in a hog can be very challenging. Then degreasing. Then tanning and mounting. Beautiful when mounted just work to get there is where costs lay.

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/04/17 06:15 PM

I appreciate it. I want one, but I have a hard time paying that. Being that pigs are a dime a dozen, maybe I can find a cool one for sale.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/04/17 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: jrfan
I appreciate it. I want one, but I have a hard time paying that. Being that pigs are a dime a dozen, maybe I can find a cool one for sale.
Same boat here....
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/05/17 05:09 AM

I shot a big blond boar a few years ago after hunting him for a month and should have shoulder mounted him, I did my own euro instead.

I will say if you shoot anything that you have a history with or something unique, if you want a shoulder mount do it. I still regret not shoulder mounting that boar.

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/05/17 04:04 PM

I want to rephrase my previous statement, and hopefully I am not misunderstood. I don't have an issue paying for one because they are overpriced and I don't think taxidermists are "gouging" on pig mounts. I have an issue paying that for a pig. For me, it's not necessarily a trophy. Just more of a novelty.
Posted By: wildsidetaxi

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/06/17 04:07 PM

Fyi.... some taxidemists, including myself, will work with a customer for a payout or some type of areangement.
Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/06/17 06:05 PM

Just skull mount them. They look great if they have any decent set of cutters.

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/08/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
Just skull mount them. They look great if they have any decent set of cutters.

I have one. I want a shoulder mount too!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/08/17 03:22 PM

I love the full shoulder mount boars....just can't justify the cost.....
Posted By: RightTurnTaxidermy

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/08/17 07:54 PM

They are just a pain in general I really have no joy in mounting them at all I honestly would rather shoulder mount one than euro it but that is my opinion. But I charge $200 for a euro and usually around $550 for a shoulder mount

Re: Pig Shoulder Mount - 12/08/17 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I love the full shoulder mount boars....just can't justify the cost.....

I agree.

Originally Posted By: RightTurnTaxidermy
They are just a pain in general I really have no joy in mounting them at all I honestly would rather shoulder mount one than euro it but that is my opinion. But I charge $200 for a euro and usually around $550 for a shoulder mount

That's the cheapest I've been quoted.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum