Texas Hunting Forum

Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine

Posted By: TTU Deer Hunter

Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine - 11/08/16 04:18 AM

I made a rookie mistake out of haste. I decided to do a euro for my dads recent buck and I soaked it in bleach. I googled it about 30 minutes in and realized my mistake - damage done!

The skull plate joints have no connecting tissue left and look as though they could break apart very easily. Is there anything I can do to stabilize it that won't look too unnatural? I was thinking about putting super or gorilla glue in all the joints, any other ideas?

Pic below:

Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine - 11/08/16 01:24 PM

Saw the rack in the photos section - nice buck & good boiling job. Don't worry about the skull fracturing or coming apart, it's much harder/tougher than you think. About the only bone that may fall off is the nose and if it does, just superglue it back on. Bleach will turn the skull a dull color eventually. You can still use peroxide; brush it on, careful not to get any on the antlers or any other surface, then let it dry in bright sun. I hold over an old pan and then pour the excess back in the peroxide bottle for re-use. Couple of applications and it'll fade to a nice bright white. I personally like the 'fracture' lines and wouldn't use gorilla or any other glue to fill them.
Posted By: yanta61

Re: Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine - 11/08/16 02:06 PM

Do not use gorilla glue....It will yellow and look bad. super glue is fine. Looks like it need to be de-greases a little more.
Posted By: TTU Deer Hunter

Re: Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine - 11/08/16 03:29 PM

Good advice - thanks for responding!
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine - 11/09/16 10:48 PM

Paint it with Elmers glue. The stuff we all used in art class as kids.
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine - 11/13/16 11:54 AM

Leave it. It wont fall apart unless it falls off the wall.
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Help needed - bleached skull with chlorine - 11/29/16 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Paint it with Elmers glue. The stuff we all used in art class as kids.

I have had success with this method. Thin the glue a little using tap water then paint it on with a sponge brush.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum