Texas Hunting Forum

Bear Rug Question

Posted By: madhatr02

Bear Rug Question - 11/03/15 12:46 PM

Not going to name place but an honest question. I took my bear to my taxidermist on 9/22/14 to have a rug made. Was told it would take some time. I dropped my daughters WT off yesterday for a mount and asked about the status. Was told it was not back from the tanner yet? I know they had to send it out but is that a normal time to wait just to get it back?

I have used this place probably 10 times in the last 3 years and have noticed it taking longer and longer to get things back.

Just curious if this is normal or should my radar be going off that something may be up?

Any insight into the process or thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Bear Rug Question - 11/03/15 07:31 PM

over a year seems like way to much time to me.
Posted By: crosshare

Re: Bear Rug Question - 11/03/15 07:31 PM

Depending on where it was sent and if you wanted a rugshell head in it or pinking, then yes, it could take that long.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Bear Rug Question - 11/04/15 07:29 PM

Depending on the tannery, it could take a couple of months for them to do a dry tanning for a rug. Figure shipping both ways and it's a 3 month process at the most. When did he send it off? Was it frozen when he got it and could he have put it in the freezer and forgotten about it, or was too busy taking in animals that he wasn't able to get to it until this past summer? Seems kind of hard to believe.

My taxidermist back in CA was about six months when I first met him, then as he grew, and others closed down, his wait time increased a little every year. Last mount I had him do was a year and a half wait. The guy I use now is closer to six months, but he has only been doing it full time for a year now and having gone from doing it part time and having a full time job, to doing just taxidermy full time, I think it's just a matter of time until his wait period increases. I couldn't find anybody else less then two hours away that did as good of work.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Bear Rug Question - 11/06/15 08:02 PM

Yes, he's just excusifying. If sent timely (as it should have been) it should be back from the tanner in about 3 months maximum.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum