Texas Hunting Forum

What's your dream mount?

Posted By: 1chevypickup

What's your dream mount? - 09/12/14 02:05 AM

I have several, but a couple that always jump out in my mind are a mountain lion jumping on or stalking a big piebald buck, full body mount. I also would like a piebald doe with 2 fawns 1 piebald and one regular color. I know I can dream bug can't I? Lol I'll have to book a hunt to ever kill a mountain lion because I hunt primairly in Mississippi and Louisiana. As far as a piebald, I guess it would just have to be luck.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/12/14 04:08 AM

It would probably be this mount

Picked him up last week. It reminds me of an awesome 2600 mile trip I had with my dad
Posted By: 1chevypickup

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/12/14 04:22 AM

That's the best part of a mount. The visual aspect is awesome, but the memories and conversations it starts up is the best. Good looking bird!
Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/17/14 05:08 PM

Full size mountain lion. Like the one Mike Billington just posted.
Posted By: MuddyWater

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/17/14 06:52 PM

Full size Grizzly would be my dream mount but I would settle for a rug if I had to.
Posted By: ckat

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/22/14 02:10 AM

For me, a giant mule deer pedestal mount... stxranchman's comes to mind.
Posted By: Erny

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/28/14 12:08 AM

Full size tahr.
Posted By: txmudder

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/28/14 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
Full size mountain lion. Like the one Mike Billington just posted.

Yep. That is at the top of my list as well!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/29/14 07:25 PM

Desert sheep. Can't decide if life-sized or pedestal is my favorite.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What's your dream mount? - 09/29/14 07:44 PM

angel
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/04/14 09:03 PM

A life size 200" West Texas mule deer would be mine.
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/05/14 04:17 AM

I want a huge V of geese suspended from a ceiling like the ones you see at the entrance to Cabelas. It's like that at the Salt Lake City Cabelas can't remember if either of the DFW Cabelas have that.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/05/14 11:30 AM

Just a suggestion, NGP: the desert ram's mount should compliment your Dall. And then later down the road, your Stone and Rocky Mnt future mounts should be similar as well. Then you can group them all together so that your Grand Slam will be the centerpiece of your trophy room.

I actually wanted to group my Slam on the rock above the mantle, but Mrs. dawaba wanted the bison in the middle. She prevailed, of course, but the four sheep look pretty good as a concentric ring around the buff, I think.

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/06/14 06:31 PM

Looks great! My Fannin is a beautiful shoulder mount. Logic would dictate shoulder mount for a Desert as well for the reasons you give. It's such a once-in-a-lifetime deal for me though all options are being considered. I'm hesitant to think about it too much at this point lest I jinx the whole deal. smile

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/07/14 01:50 PM

A Fannin? I thought it was a Dall. That's much better, cuz you have your Stone out of the way, and Stones have gotten insanely expensive due to B.C.'s cutback on permits that last few years.

Now, if you can get drawn in Wyoming for a Rocky Mnt ram, the expense of the Dall would be the only brutal cost left. Unless of course, you get drawn in Alaska's 14C or Tok GMU.....

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/07/14 04:02 PM

Yep,that's the hope/plan.

I have all my taxidermy in my home office (high ceilings-lots of room). Had an inset built for a handmade gun cabinet I already had. A life-sized Desert with shoulder mounts of the other three would fit perfectly in that space. smile

Also, as to the OP, I would also love to have a life-sized wolf mount. Such an impressive animal.

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/07/14 04:13 PM

Here's the Fannin Dave. Mike Simpson down in Conroe did the work. The dusty blue coat all Fannins have is much more apparent in person. I actually think they and the Marco Polos are the most beautiful sheep. He would have made a beautiful full body mount-I sometimes kick myself for not doing so.

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/07/14 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Here's the Fannin Dave. Mike Simpson down in Conroe did the work. The dusty blue coat all Fannins have is much more apparent in person. I actually think they and the Marco Polos are the most beautiful sheep. He would have made a beautiful full body mount-I sometimes kick myself for not doing so.

Nice ram! If I could do it all over, I'd life-size all four of my Slam rams. But back then, there were too many other obligations reaching for my pocketbook.

Mike Simpson has his own Grand Slam as well. He may even have the Super Slam of world sheep.

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/07/14 05:00 PM

Yes when he saw my ram he was kind enough to give me a tour of his home-chock full of animals from all over the world-concentrating on North America. Kinda like somebody else I know. smile
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/10/14 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Just a suggestion, NGP: the desert ram's mount should compliment your Dall. And then later down the road, your Stone and Rocky Mnt future mounts should be similar as well. Then you can group them all together so that your Grand Slam will be the centerpiece of your trophy room.

I actually wanted to group my Slam on the rock above the mantle, but Mrs. dawaba wanted the bison in the middle. She prevailed, of course, but the four sheep look pretty good as a concentric ring around the buff, I think.

I hate you

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/11/14 12:21 AM

LOL I hope you will hate me one day too then. smile

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/11/14 12:25 AM

Don't worry you are on the short list

I've been reading a Bert klingberger book the last week or so that chronicled his sheep hunts in exotic and many times dangerous territory

Simply amazing the Marco polos and argalis the guy killed in the 60's and 70's

And he did it with regular hunting rifles with 3x9 scopes, no range finders, not accurized rigs with bipods, just a hunter with simple tools

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/11/14 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
A life size 200" West Texas mule deer would be mine.

I'll let you come look at mine when I get it back next June grin

Re: What's your dream mount? - 10/11/14 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Don't worry you are on the short list

I've been reading a Bert klingberger book the last week or so that chronicled his sheep hunts in exotic and many times dangerous territory

Simply amazing the Marco polos and argalis the guy killed in the 60's and 70's

And he did it with regular hunting rifles with 3x9 scopes, no range finders, not accurized rigs with bipods, just a hunter with simple tools

Yes wonderful tales. If you liked those you will also love "A Sheep Hunter's Diary" by Gabriel. Wonderful stories of travel and hunting sheep all over the world for over 3 decades. It is just out from Safari Press. I have been devouring sheep hunting books-some new and some over again for the umpteenth time.

I will never chase the Marco Polo or Altai argali (not complaining, mind you) but it sure is fun to read the adventures of others.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum