Texas Hunting Forum

First bird mount: Need help please

Posted By: drdan

First bird mount: Need help please - 12/25/11 12:09 AM

I am going to attempt to mount my first bird after the new year and I am just looking for a little advice please. I have heard good and bad things regarding mounting kits. Do you have any recommendations on the kit to buy? Any other tools I will need for completion of the mount, such as brand of airbrush, paint, etc.? I have been researching the proper way to mount a bird and I am also looking for a good instructional video since I heard the kit insructions are not adequate in regards to instructions. Thank you in advance for the help!

Posted By: Jason@moderntaxidermy

Re: First bird mount: Need help please - 12/25/11 03:16 AM

taxidermy.net has some tutorials on there and a bird section.

Re: First bird mount: Need help please - 12/25/11 07:46 PM

thank you

Posted By: gptx09

Re: First bird mount: Need help please - 12/26/11 03:30 PM

Hi drdan, if your looking for a very good waterfowl dvd I can highly recommend Tony Finazzo's dvd's from kastaway.com.

He goes very in depth on tools and equipment needed as well as very good explanations of procedures in all aspects of mounting including, mannikin preperation, skinning, fleshing/wheeling, wiring, and grooming.

I've purchased quiet a few dvd's from different bird taxidermist including Newmeyer, Savides, Nethercutt, and others. While they all contribute something very usefull, I found the Finazzo dvd's best for me as a pure begginer starting from scratch.

I definately want to get one on one training someday when I can afford it but untill then the dvd's offer a wealth of information.

Re: First bird mount: Need help please - 12/26/11 05:57 PM

Hey gptx09,

Thanks so much for the info, I am going to order a dvd in the next couple of days.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum