Texas Hunting Forum

5-Stand at Elm Fork

Posted By: Buzzsaw

5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/19/22 03:29 AM

How is their set up? it's too hot for S.C. thought 5 Stand would be better.
Posted By: hetman

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/19/22 10:28 PM

i was just there yesterday shooting 5 stand on weekends it opens at 8am

during the week opens at noon

if you ever want to shoot lets go
Posted By: reeder05

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/20/22 02:42 PM

Just finished up a spring league there..

Two good 5-stand stations... Get there early in the AM and it isn't too bad.

Agree with Hetman... Holler if you wanna go shoot!! Always looking for another shooting buddy.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/21/22 02:22 AM

we should get a foursome together . would be fun. Can ya'll shoot during the week?

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/21/22 12:14 PM

Shotgun Sports Hours

MONDAY - TUESDAY
CLOSED
WEDNESDAY – FRIDAY
12PM – 6PM
SATURDAY – SUNDAY
9AM – 6PM

I can shoot during the week
Posted By: Jsullivanj

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/21/22 01:17 PM

How many rounds, how long, and/or how many shells do y'all usually shoot at Elm Creek 5 stands?

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/21/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jsullivanj
How many rounds, how long, and/or how many shells do y'all usually shoot at Elm Creek 5 stands?

each round = max 30 shots (25 if your perfect) FYI- I am Never perfect! I just started shooting 5 stand this year

each round = if all 5 stations are shooting at one time(5 people) approx 30min - if everyone is up to speed could be quicker or a little slower with new shooters

120 shells will get you 4 rounds

if you want to shoot sporting clays the Woods course is pretty shaded - and they generally give you 140 clays for a 100 clay course approx 1.5 to 2hr depending on number of shooters

ex mil gets a discount - I just buy a bulk card with 400 to 500 clays and go shoot whatever i want ( same card works on all courses) sporting clays /super sporting clays /5 stand / vintage course (hard) / skeet / trap / FITASC ( for a humbling experience when you feel like your hot)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/21/22 02:10 PM

this is the 5 stand setup its semi shaded with covered seating / prep /BS area
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/21/22 07:49 PM

Buzz and others, I'm up for an Elm Fork shoot. I like the Woods course on sporting clays and as said it's pretty shaded. Newby on 5 stand. I'm pretty flexible for shooting during the week and during the day generally.
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/22/22 03:01 AM

Never heard of it

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/22/22 02:48 PM

Thursday at 12:30?
Originally Posted by 5 Stand Dan
Never heard of it

Sand bagger

watch out for this fellow guys. He's a shooter !! You Definitely want him on your team!
Posted By: TLew

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/22/22 04:41 PM

I'd be interested in a couple shooting days if we can put a schedule out there. I won't be able to come every week, but I can work some into my schedule if yall are good with that

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/22/22 06:06 PM

[quote=Buzzsaw]Thursday at 12:30?

Are you suggesting tomorrow 23rd at 12:30? I can do that.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/22/22 08:13 PM

Buzz & Hetman will be at elm fork next Thursday the 30th @ high Noon /Noon thirty

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/22/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by hetman
Buzz & Hetman will be at elm fork next Thursday the 30th @ high Noon /Noon thirty

I'm planning on being there as well
Posted By: Jsullivanj

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/22/22 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TLew

I guess I need to come sweat it out with y'all!
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 12:45 PM

Not Elm Fork, but the Arlington Sportsman's club (outside Mansfield) has a monthly 5-stand match on the first Saturday of the month. All matches are open to the public.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 12:47 PM

each round = max 30 shots (25 if your perfect) FYI- I am Never perfect! I just started shooting 5 stand this year

5-stand is 25 shots. Your misses are just counted as misses.There are no mulligans.
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Red Pill

5-stand is 25 shots. Your misses are just counted as misses.There are no mulligans.

F. TARGET PRESENTATION AND SCORING
1. Targets will be presented for attempt by the shooter and scored at each station in one or more of the following formats.
a. Single Target Two shots are allowed and the target will be scored DEAD if broken by either shot. 1) On a single target (full use of gun): If the target is missed with the first shot and an ammo or gun malfunction occurs, preventing the second shot from being fired, the target will be reattempted. On the reshoot, the shooter must intentionally miss the target on the first shot. The second shot will count for either dead or lost. If the shooter breaks the first target on the first shot of the reshoot in this scenario, the target will be scored as lost.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 06:27 PM

1. Targets will be presented for attempt by the shooter and scored at each station in one or more of the following formats.
a. Single Target Two shots are allowed and the target will be scored DEAD if broken by either shot. 1) On a single target (full use of gun): If the target is missed with the first shot and an ammo or gun malfunction occurs, preventing the second shot from being fired, the target will be reattempted. On the reshoot, the shooter must intentionally miss the target on the first shot. The second shot will count for either dead or lost. If the shooter breaks the first target on the first shot of the reshoot in this scenario, the target will be scored as lost.

Who do you think you are walking in here like an expert

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 10:11 PM

Just someone who shoots. You said nothing about a malfunction. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 10:26 PM

I guess I need to come sweat it out with y'all!

Come on out % shoot with us next Thursday 30th

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 10:30 PM

Just someone who shoots. You said nothing about a malfunction. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.

Hope it wasn't directed at me. I was sarcastic with 5 stand smile

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/23/22 11:38 PM

No worries.
Posted By: Guy

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/25/22 01:07 AM

I like to get my 30 shots in smile ani....

So on those 5 singles, I load 2 shells, and I shoot 2 shells. 1st shot I bust the clay, 2nd shot I shoot the biggest clay fragment that goes flying...lots of fun..try it..

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/25/22 02:10 AM

You are the one that got your knickers in a twist.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/26/22 07:39 PM

went out this morning and shot a few rounds of 5 stand. it was fun & not too hot had a nice breeze. I am just learning this game . true pairs kill your score @ least for me. your break points change & it seemed i was alwys playing catch up. 19 was the best i could do today. will keep at it and see if i can get into the 20"s.
some of them cant decide the best order to shoot the true pair , either one is a hard shot no matter which one you shoot first. i guess its a learning curve. some pairs you have no choice which one to shoot first & then the second one has a rocket on its [censored] going away or crossing. it seems to be a interesting game

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/26/22 07:45 PM

should be fun
Posted By: P_102

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/29/22 07:28 PM

went out this morning and shot a few rounds of 5 stand. it was fun & not too hot had a nice breeze. I am just learning this game . true pairs kill your score @ least for me. your break points change & it seemed i was alwys playing catch up. 19 was the best i could do today. will keep at it and see if i can get into the 20"s.
some of them cant decide the best order to shoot the true pair , either one is a hard shot no matter which one you shoot first. i guess its a learning curve. some pairs you have no choice which one to shoot first & then the second one has a rocket on its [censored] going away or crossing. it seems to be a interesting game

On doubles, always shoot the one that gives you the best shot at the second target.and that is often determined by how quickly you feel you can get on the first.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/29/22 10:26 PM

see yall tomorrow !! texas

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/30/22 09:48 PM

well we had some serious fun at elm fork shooting 5 stand today

hetman (Steve) - TLew(Tyler) - Richard (Always ready to hunt) - Buzz( james) was a Ghost today had a home emergency to fix,

Tyler probably was the most consistent shooter - he was in the high 20's

hetman i got to 20 1 time, then it went downhill (toward the end i was very inconsistence - missing targets i should not miss - pissed me off)

Richard was shooting well & fairly consistence & was improving every round (well done)

We need more shooter to come out with us

maybe 1 week shoot 5 stand then the next week shoot sporting clays (woods course is in the shade) elmer

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/30/22 11:13 PM

Luckily my faucet leak was an easy fix when Mr. Plumber finally arrived.
Next week I can shoot Wednesday 1:00pm and Friday Noon

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 06/30/22 11:49 PM

[quote=Buzzsaw
Next week I can shoot Wednesday 1:00pm and Friday Noon[/quote]

Wed 6th 1:00 works for me. (can't Friday)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/01/22 04:16 AM

Tyler probably was the most consistent shooter - he was in the high 20's

It was absolutely a lot of fun. You embellished on my scores a little though. Let’s not forget what happened when I switched guns in the second round to one I don’t use very often. Humbled would be an understatement

Hope I can make it out again with y’all before the end of July! Keep me in the loop and I’ll try to fit it in with my work/travel schedule

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/01/22 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
[quote=Buzzsaw
Next week I can shoot Wednesday 1:00pm and Friday Noon

Wed 6th 1:00 works for me. (can't Friday)[/quote]

I can do That!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/01/22 06:51 PM

how many rounds did you guys shoot?

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/01/22 07:14 PM

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/01/22 07:35 PM

see ya'll Wednesday

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/02/22 09:20 PM

But Wed will be 102 so 5 rounds will be pushing it. I plan to be there and ready to shoot 1:00

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/03/22 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
But Wed will be 102 so 5 rounds will be pushing it. I plan to be there and ready to shoot 1:00

up

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/07/22 04:22 AM

Buzz (James) & Always Ready 2 Hunt (Richard) & Hetman (Steve):

we did our 2nd run at 5 stand Today and had fun again. everyone was shooting pretty well.

There is a Elm Fork instructor Named Larry (forgot last name) that throws 5 stand on Wed thru Friday . He makes it fun & helps to make us better shooters.

We managed to shoot 4 rounds of 5 stand with a few breaks to cool down and lots of BS stories. There were enough breeze & shaded areas to make it bearable.

I managed to shoot a 19,19,20,19 for my 4 rounds. i appear to be stuck at this level and need to push thru and pick up those last 5 targets i am missing. It's not any specific target i am missing. just being inconsistent.

Again, it's the true pairs that are giving me problems. break 1 and chase the 2nd one

There is a League starting on July 27th & runs for 6 weeks 4-man teams

they shoot on wed & Thursday nights from 6pm to 8pm with make up on Sat/Sunday

1 week is a 50 round 5stand & following week a 50 round sporting clay course

Top 8 teams have a shootoff at the end

Since i have never shot league i believe i will give this a try. hopefully whatever team i wind up on don't get too pissed at my shooting skills as i am just learning the sport.

Please come out & join us / Nice to meet new people & it is a lot of fun

Hetman (aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/11/22 07:03 PM

Went to Elm Fork this weekend not to shoot but more to train a young man (11yo) how to shoot shotguns. Him & his dad have an upcoming trip to Argentina for a massive dove hunt (pleas adopt me).

This young man was very apprehensive about recoil shooting shotguns. He was fine with a bull barrel 308. But dad had him shooting an old lever 30-30 w/180 grain loads and it hurt his confidence.

We started him off with a cut down beretta 391- 20ga, but dad bought hi brass 20ga 1 oz loads @ 1275fps. I was thinking it may cause a problem. Luckly, it did not.

This young man had never shot a shotgun before - 0 experience. Which turned out to be a good thing as there were no bad habits to break.

We started out with simple things: stance & shotgun mounting & shooting with both eyes open- keeping the barrel swinging /follow thru

he went thru a box of shells working on those points not really hitting any clays but slowly he started hitting some straight away clays & after that it was on!!!!

It really was amazing his progress in 3hrs - from 0 shotgun to hitting true pairs - to hitting long range chandelles his dad couldn't even hit.

He ran thru all the 20ga that his dad has bought - And i talked him into trying my 12 ga -beretta 300 Ultra/ with Kick off. Once he figured out the Ultra had less kick than the 20ga he had been shooting - here we go again - he was tearing it up.

As we were shooting - groups of shooters would come thru and use the stand we were on as they were shooting for score. I had him watch each shooter that came thru and tell me what they did right or wrong & why they hit or missed. He was a quick study!!

After we finished i took them on a tour of the different courses at Elm Fork -5Stand. - super sporting clays - skeet - trap etc.

While going thru the woods course - it was set up for a tournament Sunday the 10th - we stopped at station #7 - and since they were set in Free play mode for the tournament- i had him go throw a set that was set up as a true pair - one clay is a right to left crossing at about 15 feet high fairly fast & the other was a vertical launch rocket going up and out.

So, he comes back and tells me he could shoot that - i said fine grab a gun and 2 shells & show me. I be danged if he didn't shoot a tournament level true pair.

We called it a day after that. He had shot approx. 75 high brass 20 ga & 75 low brass 12ga 1200fps and was a happy boy with no pain & ready to do it all again!!

I introduce him to Larry (instructor @ Elm Fork) & the guy we have been shooting 5 Stand with & hopefully he will do Larrys 2.5-hour shotgun beginner course along with his dad.

At the end I wish someone had taken 3 hours and taught me the correct basics of shot gunning when i was a young man . It would have saved me a lot of problems unlearning 50 years of bad habits.

Hetman(AKA Steve)
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/11/22 07:56 PM

That’s awesome

Thanks for the great story!

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/11/22 11:00 PM

Very Good. If we don't get more kids shooting, this will be the death of our love of shooting. We won't live forever, so, we need to do like Steve has done. Take a young person, teach GUN SAFTY, then go let them shoot.
It's GREAT when the lightbulb comes ON.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/11/22 11:48 PM

Good on you Hetman. Giving back with safety teaching and hands on training and making it fun

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/12/22 01:03 PM

I will be at Elm Fork shooting 5 stand somewhere around 12-12:30. 7/13/22 I will be there as soon as i can after attending a celebration of life service at 10am for Geoff Jackson the person that spent the last 2 years teaching me to shoot shotgun sports.

My shooting tomorrow is my way of saying bye to Geoff & hoping that he is still looking over my shoulder as i shoot.

All are welcome

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/19/22 06:38 PM

I will be passing on shooting this week - its just going to be too hot - still looking forward to shooting league starting on July 27th - at least it 6pm to 8pm shooting times

hetman(aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/20/22 12:12 AM

too hot for me too. Anxious to see how you like the league. If you like it, I will shoot in the Fall League.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/20/22 01:02 PM

I will be passing on shooting this week - its just going to be too hot - still looking forward to shooting league starting on July 27th - at least it 6pm to 8pm shooting times

hetman(aka Steve)

I'll be shooting in the summer league as well.. Unfortunately, I think it is a skeet league. Would much rather a 5 stand, sporting, or trap over skeet.

But its always fun to do a little shooting each week!!

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/21/22 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by reeder05

hetman(aka Steve)

I'll be shooting in the summer league as well.. Unfortunately, I think it is a skeet league. Would much rather a 5 stand, sporting, or trap over skeet.

Reeder05 you are 100% correct - called Chantry the lady that sets up leagues and she confirmed it as a Skeet league. i will not be shooting that. But would not mind shooting with you at Elm Fork.
Hetman(Aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/21/22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by reeder05

hetman(aka Steve)

Reeder05 you are 100% correct - called Chantry the lady that sets up leagues and she confirmed it as a Skeet league. i will not be shooting that. But would not mind shooting with you at Elm Fork.
Hetman(Aka Steve)

Let's do it some time!! I'd really like to put some faces to some names.

Unfortunately, I have this dang job that usually keeps me occupied during the times you guys are shooting. Every now and then I can sneak away during the day.

Chris

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/22/22 11:48 PM

reeder05 sounds like a good plan, sent you a pm. hetman(aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/23/22 03:30 PM

In when it cools off

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/31/22 12:37 PM

wife & i are shooting clays this morning before it gets hot. think elm fork opens at 8am for summer hours hetman(aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/31/22 07:07 PM

I'll be back and ready for some 5 stand or sporting clays shooting with you guys in Sept. Stay hydrated and take breaks. This heat is tough on me as city dwelling has made me soften

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 07/31/22 07:21 PM

well it was a good morning . shot woods course from 9-11:30. not to hot had a nice breeze.

only bad thing lost one of my Walker blue-tooth ear buds BT-2. . that hurts. hope someone finds it and turns it in. I have retrieved various things from lost and found. smallest was a choke!

Ear bud is very small - probably either feet or golf cart will run over it . drove back thru stands we had shot but could not find it.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/06/22 12:15 PM

looks like a great day to go shoot - i will be at elm fork around 8:30am this morning. Come on down !!!!!!! hetman(aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/07/22 04:53 PM

another good day going to Alpine range in Ft. Worth today

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/07/22 11:43 PM

another good day going to Alpine range in Ft. Worth today

I really didn't like the range very much 2x as expensive as shooting at elm fork & elm fork is a nicer range. Plus, it was hot as @$* . Next time people want me to go shoot with them at 1PM in the afternoon it is going to have to be 80 degrees or cooler. We were in the trees but 0 wind. None of the golf carts had any form of gun rack/holder.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/12/22 01:48 AM

Went out & shot some 5 stand at Elm Fork 6-8pm. Got to meet reeder05 (Chris) he had been shooting league skeet. We got to shoot 1 round of 5 stand before Chris left.

Took my Bretta Ultima over 1200 rounds with 0 problems. will tear in all the way down & see how it looks.

Some fun times still stuck at 20 level - still chasing true pairs.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/12/22 11:51 AM

Went out & shot some 5 stand at Elm Fork 6-8pm. Got to meet reeder05 (Chris) he had been shooting league skeet. We got to shoot 1 round of 5 stand before Chris left.

Took my Bretta Ultima over 1200 rounds with 0 problems. will tear in all the way down & see how it looks.

Some fun times still stuck at 20 level - still chasing true pairs.

Yes sir. Had a good time!! Sorry I was only able to squeeze one round in. Had some make up to do on my league and that shoulder was getting tender. I am definitely feeling that 200 rounds this morning!!

Looking forward to meeting the infamous Buzz and the crest of the crew some day.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/12/22 04:12 PM

Hey !! Me too. hopefully we can all get together for some clay shooting soon. Maybe in the 90's ??

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/17/22 02:07 PM

It is supposed to be COOL Thursday (well compared to the rest of the summer) anyone up for some 5 stand or sporting clays tomorrow?

hetman (aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/18/22 12:31 PM

suppose to meet Reeder05 later this evening, as elm fork is open to 8pm tonight for skeet league & will shoot some 5 stand

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/18/22 07:43 PM

Just a FYI:

12ga beretta 300 ultima:

I have been doing a torture test to see how long it would run before i cleaned it.

i went somewhere between 1200 - 1300 rounds doing nothing besides wiping outside down. HAD ZERO problems!

these were wally world federal 1200fps 7.5 $32 per 100 pak . it's what i use for practice. not the best or the cleanest but fine for practice.

just got thru tearing gun down to component parts even the mag tube

and it was not bad / gas system pretty self-cleaning/ breach area had some debris but again not bad / bolt was fine / pretty much 0 debris behind bolt & trigger group clean

barrel -ran a bore snake and it still has a mirror finish

The one thing that was Bad was the extended choke - it had approx. 1/32 or less of carbon & i assume melted plastic wad material - i took a 1/4-inch electric drill and chucked a 12ga brass brush and ran that thru choke. It took a while to get all the crap out of choke. it was 1/2 way thru the choke.

No wonder i was able to make some long shots with an IC choke. It was probably close to a full.

I think besides the Choke the gun would have run another 1000 rounds.

I will never run the gun this long again & for sure keep a eye on my chokes

But it is nice to know it can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all. Hetman(aka Steve)

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/22/22 02:10 PM

Yes, the chokes get the worst of it. I will let mine soak in Carlson's choke tube cleaner. Then use a bronze tornado brush on a short rod. crud just comes out in clumps, and this is just after 100 rounds.
Benelli's being inertia, much less to clean, but the dang tiny ports on the barrel are a PITA to clean with pipe cleaners. The port cleaning brush set I bought are too big for the Browning and Benelli ports. bang

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/23/22 06:55 PM

I have had my SBEII since 2008, clean it once a year before dove season. I first hose it down with high pressure water hose, take action and trigger mechanism and put in zip lock bag with hoppes 9, run snake thru the barrel, pour hoppes in the magazine..Oil it...I have never taken my stock IC choke out...

The more abuse it, the better it shoots..

[Linked Image]

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/23/22 08:58 PM

Just getting broke in !!! Great shotguns!!

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/24/22 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
I...I have never taken my stock IC choke out...

Just a FYI : same gun - have a friend (also a member on here) he also never pulled his choke tubes - until one day he needed to change chokes - he could not get it to unscrew - took it to another friend that is a 30+ year gunsmith & still has a active shop.

Gunsmith tears gun down - tells me later that: "choke tube at some point in time had loosened up and backed out a few threads, then it basically welded itself in Place"

said tried soaking it loose with various solvents - while running in an ultrasonic bath- choke removal tools with cheater bars - heat, etc etc

Told our friend it needs to be drilled /milled / or cut barrel only a few $$$

just saying removing choke occasionally and lubing the threads may save problems in the future!!!

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/24/22 11:11 AM

I am up for shooting today. anyone wants to hit Elm fork around Noon - for 5 stand or clays 8/24

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/24/22 01:20 PM

I need a little more notice Steve. Ask the gal about the Fall leagues while you're there. I have emailed her for info.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/24/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
I...I have never taken my stock IC choke out...

Just a FYI : same gun - have a friend (also a member on here) he also never pulled his choke tubes - until one day he needed to change chokes - he could not get it to unscrew - took it to another friend that is a 30+ year gunsmith & still has a active shop.

Gunsmith tears gun down - tells me later that: "choke tube at some point in time had loosened up and backed out a few threads, then it basically welded itself in Place"

said tried soaking it loose with various solvents - while running in an ultrasonic bath- choke removal tools with cheater bars - heat, etc etc

Told our friend it needs to be drilled /milled / or cut barrel only a few $$$

just saying removing choke occasionally and lubing the threads may save problems in the future!!!

Yeah good point, it will probably get its annual cleaning this weekend, I'll try and take the choke out. If it will not come out I'm not going to worry about it.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/25/22 12:34 AM

I'm out this week... Crazy busy with work. Maybe catch ya next week Steve.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/25/22 04:30 PM

BTW, I messed with me choke yesterday, was able to screw it out, but once it gets past the thread, turning it does not push it out, and I'm unable to pull it out with my fingers, mainly because it is all guncked up a guess. I tried to clean it with hops 9 and work it out, but couldn't, so I just screed it back in. There is probably a tool to pull it out I do not have.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/25/22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
BTW, I messed with me choke yesterday, was able to screw it out, but once it gets past the thread, turning it does not push it out, and I'm unable to pull it out with my fingers, mainly because it is all guncked up a guess. I tried to clean it with hops 9 and work it out, but couldn't, so I just screed it back in. There is probably a tool to pull it out I do not have.

maybe soak in soak in Carlson's choke tube cleaner.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/25/22 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

maybe soak in soak in Carlson's choke tube cleaner.

talked to Gunsmith friend, he said put a cork in the end of barrel & pour some solvent and let set for 24hr & it should come out. I would reinstall choke with a coating of light grease on threads.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/26/22 12:15 AM

Thanks Steve, cork idea is great, soaking now. The cork will also help pull it out.

I did try soaking yesterday with a plastic bag instead of a cork, that made a mess.. roflmao

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/27/22 04:40 PM

I was shooting 5 stand at elm fork yesterday, and met a ex- army combat medic named Andy that collects old school shotguns.

He brough 2 with him that he had just picked up and had brought to show Larry an instructor at Elm Fork that throws 5 stand for us

I had never seen either shotgun before :

DARNE SLIDING BREECH DOUBLE GUNS It was a Damascus Barrel & will be a wall hanger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Régis Darne established his gun-making business in Saint Etienne in East Central France in 1881. Saint Etienne had become an arms making center as far back as the 16th Century and had even been briefly renamed Armeville (Arms Town) during the French Revolution. So it was a natural place for Régis Darne to establish a gun-making business. Saint Etienne in the 16th Century had initially been centered around edged weapons such as swords and spears but soon moved into making muskets becoming a national center for gun-making in much the same way as London and Birmingham became centers of the British gun trade.

What set Régis Darne guns apart from other makers not only from Saint Etienne but also everywhere else in the world was his system of having fixed barrels and a sliding breech block to open and close the gun. The benefit of this cannot be fully appreciated just by looking at pictures or video of a Darne gun in action. To fully understand the beauty of this design it is necessary to actually pick up one of these guns, shoulder it a few times, and then try shooting it. The balance and feel of a Darne is different by comparison to a typical break action gun. The weight of the gun is very much “between the hands” and the effect is one of a gun with lightness and liveliness, a gun that is arguably at its best when mounted and fired from “low gun” or field position. It is a style of gun that has particular appeal to shooters looking for a gun with light and lively handling.

The Spencer Pump: America’s First Pump-Action Shotgun
Christopher Spencer, not John Browning, invented the first pump shotgun

Most shotgun enthusiasts think John Moses Browning’s Winchester 1893 was the first pump shotgun. But it was Christopher Miner Spencer, an engineer that also built the Union Army a seven-shot repeating rifle that helped win the Civil War, who built the first pump. Spencer was granted a patent in 1882 for his repeater, which he manufactured in Windsor, Connecticut. It’s an interesting gun that one prominent museum curator called a “Rube Goldberg invention.” (Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist best known for his drawings of convoluted and complicated machines that performed simple tasks.)

The Spencer pump-action shotgun operates using a toggle breech that pivots up and down when the action is cycled. The extractor is spring mounted in front of the action on the right-side action bar and as the bar moves rearward it grasps the head of the fired shell and pulls it out onto the dished-out top of the toggling bolt. At the same time, a fresh shell is released from the magazine into a cutout in the bottom of the toggle. The last bit of rearward pumping action causes the breech to quickly flip up tossing the fired shell up and away from the top of the breech. The extractor then grasps the head of a fresh round and pushes it into the chamber with the forward stroke of the pump handle. It’s not exactly a simple process.

The Spencer looks like a modern pump shotgun with its tubular magazine beneath the barrel. To load the Spencer, the fore-end must be pulled back clearing the magazine for loading. Measuring about 15½ inches long, the magazine could hold seven or eight 2 9/16-inch shotshells, the common length of 12-gauge shells in 1882. To complete the loading process, the fore-end is then cycled to send a cartridge from the magazine into the chamber.

A unique feature of the Spencer is its second trigger. Mounted in front of the firing trigger, in case of a misfire, which was a common occurrence with early paper-cased shells and handloads, you pushed the second trigger forward, which cocked the hammer for another go at the reluctant shell.

By 1885, Spencer was in serious debt and sold the patent rights to Francis Bannerman, who continued to make the Spencer pump until 1907. Bannerman put his name on the side of the action, and all was well until 1893. That’s when Winchester launched its Model 1893 pump designed by John Browning. Slick and smooth, it was a far more shooter-friendly repeater than the Bannerman-Spencer toggle-action shotgun. Enraged, Bannerman sued everyone associated with Winchester. Winchester conducted a worldwide survey of patents issued prior to 1882 and found that in Britain there were three pump-gun patents granted, plus another in France. From the patent drawings, the Winchester Model Shop made a working model of the Krutzsch (the gun is in the Winchester Collection at the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming). The design was close enough to the 1893 for the judge to toss out Bannerman’s lawsuit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 08/31/22 02:47 PM

anyone up for shooting today 8/31 at elm fork around noon?

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/02/22 07:35 PM

off to elm fork 9/2 approx 3pm

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/03/22 01:47 AM

shooting clays tonight for the first time in 3 months or so ran a 87/100 then shot 5 stand and could only post 20.

Did meet a shooter named Jason C. he is an FB111 WSO - said he couldn't believe they actually paid him to have so much fun. Very cool dude and great shooter .
He had a Browning 725 he was breaking in - he did a pretty dang good job of it.
elmer

Fear the Vark, that's a lot of hurt getting ready to fall on some deserving lowlife!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/03/22 08:17 AM

Oh Yeah i forgot about what happened on the Medows super sporting clays course today 9/2. We were shooting the woods course and some of the course Workers started bringing over groups of people in golf carts to shoot the woods course. then 2 Dallas Police cars come rolling in headed to clubhouse. As we caught up to the new shooter from the Medows, i asked what the problem was?

It seems there was what was describe as a homeless person walking the course acting weird (course workers thought he was whacked out on drugs). Then he locked himself in a porta Potty & would not come out. I offered to go knock down the Porta Potty with a golf cart figuring he would come out after that.

But alas they declined thinking he might be armed and would not be a happy camper all dipped in chit. Instead opted to let Dallas Finest take care of the problem.

Officers talked him out of the potty - figured he had serious mental issues and escorted him off the property and set him loose.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/06/22 11:47 AM

I’m going to shoot some clays this Thursday (9/8) at noon most likely.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/06/22 05:57 PM

Sounds like fun - you bring your new O/U?

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/06/22 10:19 PM

Blaser salute

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/06/22 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Blaser salute

You coming Thursday? I like how you don't respond to my text either haha

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/08/22 03:07 AM

I'm still on for tomorrow. I'll be at the 5 stand around noon for anyone that wants to come. I believe hetman's coming as well

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/08/22 03:27 AM

I'm still on for tomorrow. I'll be at the 5 stand around noon for anyone that wants to come. I believe hetman's coming as well

yep, i be there elmer Bringing a friend of one of my wife's co-workers. that i am babysitting from out of town. He is a nice guy, but I think 5 stand is going to be a whole new thing for him.

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/08/22 03:45 PM

I got a buddy coming too

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/09/22 01:32 AM

Well four of us showed up today: Hetman (Steve) & Friend (Brian) -TLEW(Tyler) & Friend (Kyle). And I am sure there was a Ghost floating around saying Buzz, Buzz, Buzz turned out to be a bee. rofl

Tylers friend Kyle was the real deal wing shooter and picked up on 5stand with no problem. My Friend Brian was NOT the real deal and didn't pick up on 5stand worth a chit, but he was a good sport & tried.

TLEW(Tyler) showed up with his new Blazer O/U & ran it thru the course elmer

Hetman (Steve) I just showed up with Beretta 300 Ultima & ran that thru the course

I can't speak for everyone, i started off fairly hot and then NOT so hot - It seemed to be a common occurrence for whatever reason- Frustrating bang taz

But again, it was FUN Time had by all! banana

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/12/22 01:50 AM

it was a beautiful day at the range - perfect temp - nice breeze. And being 9/11 i went and looked up an old friend that served during the ragland conflicts.

hetman (Steve) & friend Tom (aka Capt hook) USAF Vet -A10 Warthog Gunslinger pilot during the Iraq war - Tank Whacker extraordinaire!!! salute

Steve - shooting 12ga beretta 300 ultima Tom- shooting a 12ga 1955 Belgium browning w/ different barrel he ordered / up graded to the auto load system- Mod choke

That Browning is immaculate he always gets compliments on it & shoots it very well. Every screw in that gun is serialized to that specific browning. I don't like the weird recoil it has with the moving barrel.

We only had time for 1 round of sporting clays - just to put a little money on the table (very little) 10 cents a skeet in score difference. I shot an 86/100 Tom shot 84/100 so i won 20 cents woohoo

I dropped 2 stands with only 5 /8 really hurt score & not because i couldn't shoot them. Just not holding focus & engaging my brain which is always a bad thing.

Still a great day that i got to spend with my friend. flag

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/12/22 01:58 PM

at least you're out shooting

Re: 5-Stand at Elm Fork - 09/13/22 08:38 PM

Anybody up for sporting clays Tomorrow 9/14 @ Elm Fork - opens at 12AM - Call, Text or PM. Hetman(aka Steve) elmer
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum