Texas Hunting Forum

Mustards and turnips

Posted By: bill oxner

Mustards and turnips - 11/12/09 11:52 PM

I fell in with a bunch of deer hunters, and got in on their lease near Benevidious. It was great for quail, for me. I was the only quail hunter there. We'd ride around on the ranch and come upon these feed plots. They had turnips growing there. It was a great turnip year. The feed store had mixed in a few mustard seeds.

Someone had brought the leftovers of a Honey Baked ham. I picked some mustards, pulled some turnips, rendered then reduced the stock from the ham, and made a big pan of cornbread.

Some did, and some didn't. I had trouble liking them when I was growing up, but I learned.

On which side of the table would I find you?

Posted By: hiodon

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 12:44 AM

You'd find me on the greens side.

Posted By: hiodon

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 12:45 AM

How about a little more detailed recipe how you cooked the greens?

Posted By: mbavo

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 01:00 AM

i would have been all over that. sounds great.

Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 01:09 AM

I love them and eat them weekly. My wife and son not so much. I learned to like them when I was about 15 or so. I like to fry 6 slices of bacon and wilt the greens in the hot fat with a little onion. This method is for non-bitter greens only. Bitter greens require boiling.

I boiled some rape and collards last weekend with carrots and turnips along with two ham hocks. It was delicious.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 02:06 AM

I have some in my vegetable garden. I mix mostly mustards with a few turnip tops. I take the big stem off them, and chop them. I like pork stock, but beef bullion will do. You don't need more than a cup or so of stock. (potlicker after it's done) Cube a few turnips, and put them in there, maybe a teaspoon of sugar. I like a good hot sauce which has a vinigar base. I use Red Devil.

I make my cornbread from scratch, and save the leftovers for Thanksgiving dressing.

Ever eat a mustard leaf raw? It has a horseradish taste.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 02:54 AM

I like mustard greens mixed with milder greens. They do have a good flavor.

Posted By: coolie

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 04:27 AM

Mustard, collard, turnip, Kale, cabbage, spinach, and a ham bone. I too am a cornbread snob. I will not eat it out of a package, and it has to have been baked in a cast iron skillet with bacon drippings. Add a couple of pickled jalapeno peppers and that's a meal.

Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/13/09 11:26 AM

cant get enuff of good homegrown turnips........love those greens to with a big chunk of fatback thrown in there to.....hard to beat

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/14/09 01:55 AM

If any of ya'll are ever in Dallas for lunch, go to Sweet Georgia Brown's in Oak Cliff. They have some of the best greens you'll ever eat. Soul food brothers, soul food.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/14/09 02:00 AM

I love me some po folks food.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/14/09 02:03 AM

Make you fart big time.

Posted By: Scurvy Dog

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/15/09 04:04 AM

Greens are awesome! Collards, mustard, turnips, I like them all. Of course a shot of Rooster sauce or Cholula takes them to another level. Damn good food.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/16/09 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: coolie76
If any of ya'll are ever in Dallas for lunch, go to Sweet Georgia Brown's in Oak Cliff. They have some of the best greens you'll ever eat. Soul food brothers, soul food.

I know that's right! Their cornbread is tip top too.

Posted By: moderno

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/18/09 02:58 AM

I like greens, had some turnips last night. I have gone to the Del Monte plant in Crystal City on a few occasions and got fresh spinach as it is being unloaded and washed. You can't get it any fresher than that.

Posted By: retfuz

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/19/09 03:01 PM

Greens....Mother Natures plunger. And they're good for ya. The next time you cook up a big batch, put in a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar, along with the pork etc.

Posted By: moderno

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/20/09 07:17 AM

Yes sir thats a given, thats what makes them.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/09/10 09:30 PM

I'm cooking my first batch of mustards with turnips tonight, in some stock I made from some store bought ham hocks. These are my first turnips of the year. I've never bought them in my life, it has something to do with the seasons for me. I pulled up 6. They were a little larger than a golf ball. Two will make a mess in a couple of weeks.

Tonight it's mustard&turnips, black eyed peas, chow-chow, cornbread, and fried pork chops.

Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/09/10 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I'm cooking my first batch of mustards with turnips tonight, in some stock I made from some store bought ham hocks. These are my first turnips of the year. I've never bought them in my life, it has something to do with the seasons for me. I pulled up 6. They were a little larger than a golf ball. Two will make a mess in a couple of weeks.

Tonight it's mustard&turnips, black eyed peas, chow-chow, cornbread, and fried pork chops.

thats one fine meal there bill........

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/09/10 11:15 PM

I'm eatin me some greens with a little dill pickle juice on them!!!! food

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/10/10 12:43 AM

My dad use to grow mustard and turnips in flower beds. We loved greens. A neighbor introduced us to chard. That quickly became my favorite. Seems like it always had a little milder flavor. But you've succeeded in making me hungry for them. We mostly ate them with beans, cornbread, and fried meat (if we had the meat...not a necessity, but it sure was nice!)

Posted By: cb66

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/10/10 02:32 AM

food

cheers

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/11/10 01:11 PM

I love all greens especially collards. I wilt mine in bacon fat with a little onion, salt and black pepper. I also make an African Chop Stew out of them that is out of this world.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/12/10 12:21 AM

Put a little cut up bacon in a pot, saute' diced onions until caramelized, dump in greens, add a tsp of sugar and a tsp of vinegar. This works great on canned and fresh greens. If you do canned greens, Glory brand are real good. Of course, you need either biscuits of corn bread. Grilled pork chops are good with it.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/12/10 12:26 AM

Fresh Spinach..Wash it good, pull off the stems, shake it dry. melt enough butter in a skillet to cover the bottom. Throw in and pack the spinach. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until all leaves are wilted and flat. Stir up a serve. I saw this on Bobby Flay and couldn't believe how good it is. It's quick, easy, and drop dead delicious.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/12/10 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
Fresh Spinach..Wash it good, pull off the stems, shake it dry. melt enough butter in a skillet to cover the bottom. Throw in and pack the spinach. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until all leaves are wilted and flat. Stir up a serve. I saw this on Bobby Flay and couldn't believe how good it is. It's quick, easy, and drop dead delicious.

Retfuz,

You do know how to eat. I love fresh baby spinach leaves with hot bacon fat poured over it and garnished with crumbled crispy bacon. Tonight we had thinly sliced parsnips sautéed in butter, they were excellent.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/12/10 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Old_Town
Originally Posted By: retfuz

Retfuz,

You do know how to eat. I love fresh baby spinach leaves with hot bacon fat poured over it and garnished with crumbled crispy bacon. Tonight we had thinly sliced parsnips sautéed in butter, they were excellent.

That sounds too good. Never tried parsnips, will give it a go.
Gotta try that chard thing Pointer brought up, too.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/12/10 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
My dad use to grow mustard and turnips in flower beds. We loved greens. A neighbor introduced us to chard. That quickly became my favorite. Seems like it always had a little milder flavor. But you've succeeded in making me hungry for them. We mostly ate them with beans, cornbread, and fried meat (if we had the meat...not a necessity, but it sure was nice!)

How do you prepare and cook the chard? How does it taste?
Thanks,
Ret

Posted By: catfishjo

Re: Mustards and turnips - 11/12/10 04:53 PM

picked fresh this morning,after hunting!!!

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/11/20 06:15 PM

Bumping up an old one since someone mentioned mustard greens. Recognize some of these old THFers?
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/11/20 06:28 PM

Reading this thread I am surprised no one mentioned BEET GREENS! They put all the other greens to shame banana2
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/11/20 06:44 PM

Sounds like a good meal, made better with a bottle of home made pepper sauce. Yum, yum.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/11/20 07:25 PM

Never met a green I didn’t like. Love turnips and eat them year round.
Posted By: RobertY

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/12/20 03:04 AM

My grandpa made the best greens. Big ham hock and a pile of greens and garlic in a pressure cooker. Always wonderful with a splash of sport pepper vinegar
Posted By: greenen

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/12/20 03:55 PM

Make a pressure cooker full of greens every weekend. Cooking the collard, kale turnip mix today that come cut up and washed from HEB.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/20/21 11:00 PM

Bumping this old thread up again for my dinner tonight. Thought some of you old timers would get a kick out of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/21/21 02:36 AM

Looks good! Turnips done right are hard to beat.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/21/21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by stillhntr
Looks good! Turnips done right are hard to beat.

Yep. Plus the smoked ham put a great aroma in my kitchen.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/21/21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Bumping this old thread up again for my dinner tonight. Thought some of you old timers would get a kick out of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Takes me back. Nice plate!
Posted By: Ed Jr.

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/26/21 05:42 AM

In N. Caroilna when we cook those two greens, LESS the turnip root (that goes to the hogs),we add collard greens (small leaves). We call TURNIP SALAD. Add a little vinegaret....yummy

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/26/21 12:42 PM

I use a vinegar based pepper sauce. One more dinner and I'm done.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/26/21 12:45 PM

Greens, cornbread and fresh caught fried catfish. food

Re: Mustards and turnips - 01/26/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rutabagas are good in greens, too!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum