Texas Hunting Forum

Cook my pot roast

Posted By: RobertY

Cook my pot roast - 10/28/09 12:29 AM

Be a hero and cook my pot roast. Your wife will summon to your every need and your kids will obey after they have some of this easy, delicious recipe:

3 lb CHUCK ROAST
3 gloves of garlic, minced
One packet of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix
One sweet onion, chopped
Sea Salt
Pepper
One can of vegetable broth
one cup of water

In your coated Iron pot:
heat olive oil in bottom of pan till hot, throw in garlic and onion to begin sweating.

Salt and Pepper roast liberally on both sides.

Toss roast into pan and brown on both sides

Mix one packet of beefy onion soup into the can of vegetable stock, plus one cup of water.

After roast is good and brown, add soup mix onto roast:

Cook at a medium boil for 2 hours, then add baby carrots and 5-6 red potatoes, halfed.

Cook another hour and a half at a simmer, or until meat just falls apart.

Enjoy:

up

Posted By: retfuz

Re: Cook my pot roast - 10/29/09 12:50 AM

I cooked one today just like that cept i used mushrooms and onions insteat of taters. I did it in the slow cooker. Absolutely fantastic.

Posted By: TPACK

Re: Cook my pot roast - 10/29/09 01:50 AM

That looks super.A chuck roast has the most flavor of any roast and is also the cheapest.

Posted By: drdavidovich

Re: Cook my pot roast - 10/29/09 12:37 PM

I wish I was having that for breakfast right now!

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Cook my pot roast - 10/29/09 04:09 PM

LOOKS GREAT I'll probably try it opening week with deer or hog roast!
Thanks!

Posted By: mbavo

Re: Cook my pot roast - 10/29/09 05:21 PM

looks great.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/01/09 03:10 PM

On the stove now, to the letter.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/02/09 08:30 PM

ALRIGHT!!!! Let me know how it works out!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/04/09 03:02 PM

It was GREAT. Give this one a try guys. Even my 8 y.o daughter who is super fussy ate it and loved it. We had it Sunday, and again for dinner Monday.
Thanks for sharing!

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/04/09 04:52 PM

I do a little more than one a month. Mine is about the same as yours. I mix it up a little. Sometimes I make brown gravy, and mashed potatoes. I'll throw some turnips in the pot when mine are in. A little balsamic vinigar gives it a good extra kick.

The good thing about a pot roast for two, is the leftovers. You can use it as leftover potroast, or make other dishes with your roasted meat. I made stroganoff from my last one after three meals of leftover potroast. I made chinese pepper steak during the summer when my peppers were in. I froze three meals of that for this winter.

Posted By: cbump

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/11/09 08:38 PM

Got one on right now but with deer roast. Hope it turns out ok.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/11/09 09:09 PM

My deer roast iskind of shriveled up right now and isn't very tender. It hasonly been on for 30 minutes though....hopefully it will get better?????

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/11/09 10:35 PM

well, deer is certainly going to be different due to the lack of fat. But, it will tenderize, just give it time. I don't know what that's going to tast like, but given the ingredients, its can't be bad!!

Its probably going to go about 1.5-2 hours on deer to get real tender.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/11/09 11:21 PM

Been on almost 3 hours and is starting to fall apart! Should be done in 45 minutes or so. We'll see.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/11/09 11:22 PM

Oh, I have had to add water and vegetable stock some. Did you?

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/12/09 12:49 AM

Well, the chuck roast juices so much, normally you don't have to add much, if any. But with the venison being so lean, I'd say a pretty good portion of your liquids probably simmer off. Just add stock and water as necessary.

Take pics when its done!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/12/09 01:47 AM

Man it turned out awesome! The deer roast completely fell apart and was all shredded up. It was like sex in a bowl. I forgot to take a pic until after everyone had eaten so most is gone in the pic. Will post it up when I can.

Good recipe!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/12/09 01:49 AM

Oh forgot, I only had onion soup mix and not beefy onion, so I added 4 beef bouillon cubes to it. Other than that every thing was the same. Melted in your mouth!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/12/09 02:01 AM

Alright! I'll have to save me a deer ham to try it out this way then! Glad you enjoyed it!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/13/09 04:54 PM

Here ya go. Like i said this was after everyone had eaten so it is just what was left. You can see how the meat just fell apart in there.

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/18/09 03:16 PM

One thing I do to my pot roasts is I take a sharp paring knife and make a small slit every inch or so into the roast and stick in a peeled clove of garlic before browning the meat. It takes about 20 cloves. It really makes the difference!! food

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/18/09 03:22 PM

Dang, that sounds good too. Got my mouth watering looking at this thread again.

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/18/09 04:04 PM

If you like it spicy, uou can add piece of serrano chili in with each clove of garlic. I once saw Justin Wilson do that and when I tried it, I loved it!! stir

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/19/09 03:06 PM

I also throw 10 or 12 whole peeled garlic cloves in about an hour before the meat is ready. They get real soft and mild and are drop dead delicious,

Re: Cook my pot roast - 12/09/09 02:32 PM

Kroger has chuck roast on for $1.47 per pound this week. I have to go up that way today. I'll pick up a couple. That should carry me through the end of January.

Posted By: TPACK

Re: Cook my pot roast - 12/09/09 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Kroger has chuck roast on for $1.47 per pound this week. I have to go up that way today. I'll pick up a couple. That should carry me through the end of January.

They are 1.87 lb. in granbury. I think I will buy some and run through my grinder with brisket i got a while back for .99 cents lb.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 12/09/09 05:22 PM

The price was for a new store opening. I didn't go to that store and had to pay $1.87. I only got one.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/05/10 07:03 PM

Any substitute for vegetable stock?

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/06/10 02:46 AM

beef stock works just fine too. Or, 2 beef boulion cubes desolved in 2 cups of water.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/07/10 01:35 AM

The garlic trick works well on brisket and pork shoulder, too.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/07/10 04:30 AM

Making this again tomorrow!!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/07/10 02:29 PM

Hey, last time, I threw in ONE serrano pepper, halfed and deseeded. WOW, nice flavor change, but a bit spicy!!!

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/07/10 04:00 PM

Looks great Robert. cheers
On the way to the store now!! up

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/07/10 09:32 PM

Got it on right now! Robert, stupid question and I can't remember what I did last time, but do you cover it the whole time it is cooking?

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/08/10 12:53 AM

might be a little late, but yeah, I leave it covered!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/08/10 04:17 AM

Yep, that is what I did. Great again.

Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/06/11 09:15 PM

ttt because it is so awesome.

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/07/11 05:00 AM

how do you make a thikcer gravy?

Posted By: bluesman

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/07/11 05:23 AM

Pretty much the same recipe as I use except I usually throw in a can of rotel - really make a difference.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/07/11 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: mustafa
how do you make a thikcer gravy?

Just seperate the amount of juice that you want to make into a gravy, put it in a small pot and get it boiling. Mix 2-3 tblspoons of cornstarch with 1/2 cup cold water and add to juice. Cook until thickened

Posted By: jbranscum

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/08/11 02:19 AM

Made this today with a venison roast taken in November. Damn fine recipe, thank you!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/08/11 01:54 PM

Thank you sir!

Also guys, I did this recipe the other day, but I made small slits in the roast and pushed garlic cloves down into the meat. WOW. If you like garlic, its wonderfull.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/08/11 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: azcoyote
One thing I do to my pot roasts is I take a sharp paring knife and make a small slit every inch or so into the roast and stick in a peeled clove of garlic before browning the meat. It takes about 20 cloves. It really makes the difference!! food

Wow...I guess I'm behind. I never realized you wrote this! Yes, it makes a huge difference!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/10/12 10:37 PM

making this now!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/10/12 10:46 PM

My daughter was home for 2 weeks during the holidays. I cooked one, and added some turnips from my garden, along with a sweet potato. We never could tell the turnips from the white potaotes. We had 3 meals of pot roast, then 2 meals of stroganoff from the leftover meat.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/10/12 11:54 PM

This is still the best recipe on this site.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/11/12 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
This is still the best recipe on this site.

I appreciate the compliment. I haven't posted anything new lately, perhaps I'll bust out the camera tomorrow when I do blackened fish with a basil/tomato cream sauce.

Posted By: Medinabuck

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/18/12 01:54 PM

Robert, I'm waiting on the blackened fish recipe.......... smile

Re: Cook my pot roast - 01/18/12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Medinabuck
Robert, I'm waiting on the blackened fish recipe.......... smile

Cooking it tonight!

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/08/17 01:17 AM

For those that haven't had the pleasure.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/08/17 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: cbump

Thanks a bunch Chris for bumping this one back up. I'm now having one for leftovers. It's tough. A laid off oilfield worker friend is now filling in as a butcher at Kroger. I asked him about grades of beef chuck. He replied that it was not graded. I'm not sure I believed him.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/08/17 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: cbump

cheers I had not seen this one. Going to put this on the menu for Sunday food
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/11/17 01:14 AM

Thanks for the bump. Looks great
Posted By: Guy

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/11/17 11:37 PM

Never did a pot roast till today. Followed receipt for most part. But I did out side on gas grill on cast iron skillet, beef broth for juice no soup mix...Mushrooms... It was a hit...

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/11/17 11:55 PM

Looks great Guy. I had leftovers for dinner do night.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/12/17 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Never did a pot roast till today. Followed receipt for most part. But I did out side on gas grill on cast iron skillet, beef broth for juice no soup mix...Mushrooms... It was a hit...

MAN that does look good. Did you cover it?

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/12/17 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I did only because I threw carrots on late, put them on hot side covered to cook them fast. I slow cooked roast all day uncovered. Just kept turning the roast over. Next time the plan will be to not cover.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/12/17 01:20 AM

I did only because I threw carrots on late, put them on hot side covered to cook them fast. I slow cooked roast all day uncovered. Just kept turning the roast over. Next time the plan will be to not cover.

I'm guessing it turned out fork tender?

I'm a roast fan but always cook them in a crock pot or oven. May have to change things up a bit and try something new.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/12/17 01:29 AM

Yeah, used a wood spoon to cut it.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/12/17 01:30 AM

Yeah, used a wood spoon to cut it.

Nice. Love the color, good job man. up

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/12/17 01:33 AM

Next time I'll also throw garlic/onions on with roast at same time, very high heat. I gave garlic/onions head start today and it don't need it.

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/12/17 01:46 AM

Next time I'll also throw garlic/onions on with roast at same time, very high heat. I gave garlic/onions head start today and it don't need it.

Garlic burns quick so I never add until towards the end if temp is up, but in many dishes I really like the flavor of yellow onions cooked down dark/caramelized in butter (not burnt). I don't just do this in gumbos etc I do the same for tacos, love that flavor. For some reason I never cook my onions down when I make a roast I just throw it all in and turn it on cause that's how Momma did it, reckon I'll try it.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Cook my pot roast - 02/13/17 04:48 PM

Both look great food

Re: Cook my pot roast - 11/07/20 10:03 PM

Ttt for the best thing I’ve ever cooked off here
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum