Texas Hunting Forum

Prickly Pear Jelly.

Posted By: Dave Scott

Prickly Pear Jelly. - 02/01/23 05:28 PM

Bought some in a store but never made any. Things are tight, time to make my own.
1. When do you cut the pears? Turn Brown? Wear gloves?
2. I don't want to can, will try a small amount- 2-3 jars that I'll keep in the fridge.
3. As I understand, peel, cut up, heat medium and mash into pulp, put through strainer sieve to get just clear juice, add lemon, sugar and gelatin and boil a few minutes and pour into jars. Sounds pretty easy.
What is a sieve? I am cooking challenged in many areas.

Any tips appreciated.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Prickly Pear Jelly. - 02/01/23 07:34 PM

popcorn
Posted By: PMK

Re: Prickly Pear Jelly. - 02/01/23 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Bought some in a store but never made any. Things are tight, time to make my own.
1. When do you cut the pears? Turn Brown? Wear gloves?
2. I don't want to can, will try a small amount- 2-3 jars that I'll keep in the fridge.
3. As I understand, peel, cut up, heat medium and mash into pulp, put through strainer sieve to get just clear juice, add lemon, sugar and gelatin and boil a few minutes and pour into jars. Sounds pretty easy.
What is a sieve? I am cooking challenged in many areas.

Any tips appreciated.

a sieve is used to strain out the pieces and pulp ... like a fine strainer, so all you have is fairly clear juice remaining.

below is my mothers homemade jelly recipe that I have used for years for all sorts of varieties of jelly (peach, apricot, mustang grape, plum, etc.) ... I would think you could use the same for prickly pear jelly for quantities and times.

~+~+~
1 qt. Plums (or any varieties of fruit)
1 qt. water.
5 1/2 cup juice from cooked plums
7 1/2 cup sugar
1 pkg pectin (sure jell)
1T butter

Remove seeds and cover with water and low Boil plums (fruit) till skin falls off fruit.

Strain juice to remove skin & meat of plum and save meaty portions for jam if desired.

Put juice in Dutch oven over medium to high heat, stir in pectin & butter and bring to full boil, while stirring constantly.

Add sugar and return to rolling boil. Rolling boil for exactly 1 minute. (note 1 minute on the dot, not 59 seconds and not a minute &1 second, this is the key for proper jelling)

Remove from heat, skim foam and put in clean jars while hot. Put lids on to seal and let cool.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Prickly Pear Jelly. - 02/01/23 11:06 PM

My thread on making it

Again

Pick the pears between Aug-Oct depending on where you are and whenever they are ripe. Easier to burn the thorns/stickers when still on the cactus. Then remove, rinse, cut into 1/4’s and cook.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Prickly Pear Jelly. - 02/01/23 11:30 PM

Buc-ee's sells a Prickly Pear Jam.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Prickly Pear Jelly. - 02/02/23 04:22 PM

What's the difference between jelly and jam? I thought there was stickers inside the pulp so you had to use the sieve. As I said- total newbie.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Prickly Pear Jelly. - 02/02/23 04:46 PM

Jelly should be fairly clear minimal pulp ... Jam has fruit included.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum