Texas Hunting Forum

Venison breakfast sausage

Posted By: Bones72

Venison breakfast sausage - 12/23/22 04:46 PM

I tell you what, I've never messed with breakfast sausage with deer before, but the stuff I just made up is better than Jimmy Dean. Made up 5lbs of it and glad I did and wish I had done more.

I used an 80/20 blend of axis trimmings to Wright's Bacon ends. I'd probably go a bit higher on whitetail. Used the High Mountain kit but added a teaspoon of white pepper, a teaspoon of black pepper, a teaspoon of jalapeño powder, a little, like a pinch, of smoked basil. Did a coarse grind and mixed all up, keeping it real cold and let it sit in the fridge overnight before packaging.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Venison breakfast sausage - 12/23/22 05:19 PM

up
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Venison breakfast sausage - 12/23/22 06:14 PM

Can't go wrong with bacon ends & pieces, not only adds fat but adds great flavor IMO. Interesting touch with the smoked basil. Try a 75/25 venison to bacon E&P's grind for venison bacon burgers too, my family loves it. cheers
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Venison breakfast sausage - 12/23/22 10:36 PM

You nailed it, make some more!
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Venison breakfast sausage - 12/24/22 01:30 AM

Love me some bacon Bambi big macs, they're pretty much a staple at my house too.

Been doing summer sausage for some time now, but branching out this year. Italian and the breakfast I mentioned. Now this poor boy needs to find a used or discount sausage stuffer so I can try more stuff. Really want to do some hot links with my homemade jalapeño salt. Used that stuff plus homemade lime pepper on jerky with a kick of hornitos silver and that was pretty amazing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum