Texas Hunting Forum

Sourdough Bread

Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Sourdough Bread - 12/02/22 03:52 PM

I finally got a starter batch of sourdough going. Now to add some chili or stew . . . [Linked Image]
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/02/22 03:55 PM

Looks great, love sourdough up
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/02/22 04:09 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/02/22 05:44 PM

Where did you get the starter?

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/02/22 11:08 PM

Bob--

Old family recipe... 3 cups of flour, a package of yeast, and 2-1/2 cups warm water. I use a half-gallon glass jar, which, when the mix is added, will rise enough to push the lid up a bit. It'll drop back down, and then I refrigerate until put to use.
Posted By: don k

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/02/22 11:21 PM

After you get the starter then what do you do?

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/03/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis in Ft Worth
Bob--

Old family recipe... 3 cups of flour, a package of yeast, and 2-1/2 cups warm water. I use a half-gallon glass jar, which, when the mix is added, will rise enough to push the lid up a bit. It'll drop back down, and then I refrigerate until put to use.

Thank you sir! Looks fantastic.

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/03/22 02:19 AM

Don-
Give me a day or so and I'll post up the recipe, etc.

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/03/22 03:29 PM

Here's the recipe I use. There's hundreds of variations out there, this one is my modifications on one of them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/03/22 08:36 PM

Once you get the starter going it is supposed to last forever. Let's say you have a pint of starter. You add a couple of cups of flour and mix it all together, then the starter is evenly dispersed and the whole thing rises. You pull off a pint of that and it becomes the starter for the next batch. If you have a long spell between cooking you are supposed to add sugar or flour or something to keep the starter active.
In any event I tried it and failed. I guess I'm a pot of beans guy and no more. I wish I could have done the sourdough.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/03/22 09:28 PM

Dave Scott, we ate a whole lot of sour dough bread growing up. Mom always kept a starter around the house and would feed it, then divide it in half and use it, give the half away or just throw it out. She got it from a friend and kept it going for over at least 10 to 15 years.
If you can find someone with a good starter, have them give you some. All starters for sour dough are not the same and have different tastes. I miss it but my wife will not eat it, she says it tastes funny, I think it tastes great.
Good luck.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/03/22 11:06 PM

Nice job Dennis - glad to see it looks like you are doing well down there.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/04/22 07:58 PM

Looks good, love fresh bread up
Posted By: 1955

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/05/22 12:15 AM

Thanks for sharing recipe, have to give it a try ! up
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/05/22 12:59 AM

I remember the starter being kept warm near the gas heater pilot light. But that was like 45-50 years ago.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/05/22 03:18 PM

If you bake "regular" bread you have dry active yeast- why can't you just keep some of that as a starter for next time? Is there a difference? I must admit, I can cook some things but baking has always been a challenge.

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/05/22 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
If you bake "regular" bread you have dry active yeast- why can't you just keep some of that as a starter for next time? Is there a difference? I must admit, I can cook some things but baking has always been a challenge.

most places do it this way. some go back 100 years.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/09/22 01:19 PM

I don’t know for sure, but I was always told not to use yeast. If the starter is done right, it makes its own.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/14/22 11:55 PM

dennis in ft worth, i got some going now. have you ever fed the starter with potato flakes? gonna make some bread tommorow.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/17/22 03:45 AM

DIL had a starter going when we visited a couple days ago. I kinda blew up, a little. She used part for a loaf to bake.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/17/22 11:55 AM

My college age daughter got some starter going several months ago and we keep it going while she's gone. She'll be back home Wednesday and I'm hoping she uses it for something...
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Sourdough Bread - 12/17/22 03:10 PM

done not as brown as op,s but is good

Attached picture IMG_5349.JPG
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum