Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Steak Recipes needed

Posted By: slymer

Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/11/22 09:54 PM

What are your go to recipes for round steak and backstrap? As much as I would like to have fried deer steak every week I don't think my waistline would approve. grin

I have a bunch of steaks in the freezer but I've need other recipes besides fried.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/11/22 10:10 PM

Season and put it on the grill. Cook to med-rare. If you're feeling froggy, crumble some blue cheese on top.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/11/22 10:11 PM

I marinate my steaks in different combinations of these: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, teriyaki marinade, soy sauce, pineapple, Worcestershire sauce, or Italian dressing. The combination of what I used depends for that day. I will either grill them outside on wood/charcoal, on a George Foreman in the house or air fryer. The best steaks are the ones 3-4 days after they are in the marinade. I will cook the medium rare to medium.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/11/22 10:17 PM

Tougher cuts like those I wet age in the fridge for about 5-7 days, clean and wash, pat dry then marinate for another 1-3 days. Fantastic teriyaki stir fry or stroganoff.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/11/22 10:49 PM

stir fry
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/11/22 11:20 PM

The old fashion way. Chicken fried.
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/12/22 02:58 AM

Look right up on this thread, great recipe for fried back strap, or you can do the same with round steak, just tenderize it, you'll enjoy! up up
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/12/22 03:26 AM

Haven’t tried it but this looks delicious!

https://honest-food.net/venison-ste...oGd2EEZjehcncKhcJpFChVf5qJ2v5XUUXT5ktk5g
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/12/22 04:35 AM

Coat the steaks very liberally with McCormick Steak Seasoning. Place them in the fridge uncovered for at least four hours - eight is better*. Grill over very hot coals to an internal temp of 130⁰. Let them rest ten minutes before eating.

*If you have a small wire rack, place the steaks on a rack, and place the rack on a plate so that air circulates on both sides of the steak.

Two things I recommend for great eating:
1. Cut steaks from the backstrap and rounds at least 3/4" thick.
2. Put a pat of butter on each steak as soon as they come off the grill.
(Oh heck, let's make it three things.)
3. Make some garlic compound butter a few hours ahead of time to put on the hot steaks.
Posted By: slymer

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/12/22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fltmedic

That does look good. Definitely need to try it.
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/12/22 03:36 PM

That's great looking recipe also up
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/12/22 04:07 PM

Whatever you do when grilling/smoking keep the IT between 125°-129°, after that it begins to dry out pretty damn quick.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/12/22 04:23 PM

I use this recipe for feral hog back straps, but it would probably work for venison as well:

I cut the back straps crosswise into medallions, then cook them in a pan with a little oil.

Mustard Sauce for Pork:

1 c. red wine
1/4 c. spicy yellow or brown mustard
1-3 tsp. beef and/or chicken bullion
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 TBS. butter
1 - 2 tsp. corn starch
Pan drippings

After the pork is roasted (roast it in the same skillet used to sear it in and then make the sauce in the same) remove it to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm. In the skillet add the 1 c. of red wine, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula to lift off the brown bits. Simmer the wine until it reduces by about a fourth.

Add the mustard and the beef/chicken bullion and continue to simmer. Finally add the brown sugar. Dissolve a tsp or two of corn starch in a few tablespoons of cold water and add to the sauce to thicken. Simmer this slowly until the desired consistency is reached and then add the butter and stir until the sauce becomes silky. Drizzle over medallions and serve.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Deer Steak Recipes needed - 01/14/22 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
Originally Posted by Fltmedic

That does look good. Definitely need to try it.

This is one of my favorite recipes. I make it regularly and it is spectacular.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum